Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1992 Honda Accord low idle vibration

Old 01-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Honda Accord low idle vibration

I have a 1992 Honda Accord, i just recently had the timing belt replaced, it ran fine after that, but within a day, something happened, and the car stopped running. My mechanic told me that the belt had come off, they put the belt on but there was a shake in the motor at the bottom end of the idle, they looked at it and determined that some of the valves must have bent when the belt came off. They sent the head to the machine shop, 3 of the valves were bent, but when they put it back together, the vibration is still there, though not has bad. What could they have missed, because it was a great running car, and now it is just rough when it is at idle, also the idle seems rough, it sounds like the car is puffing when idling. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 1992 Honda Accord low idle vibration

Originally Posted by dismember
I have a 1992 Honda Accord, i just recently had the timing belt replaced, it ran fine after that, but within a day, something happened, and the car stopped running. My mechanic told me that the belt had come off, they put the belt on but there was a shake in the motor at the bottom end of the idle, they looked at it and determined that some of the valves must have bent when the belt came off. They sent the head to the machine shop, 3 of the valves were bent, but when they put it back together, the vibration is still there, though not has bad. What could they have missed, because it was a great running car, and now it is just rough when it is at idle, also the idle seems rough, it sounds like the car is puffing when idling. Any help would be appreciated.
So basically you have incompetent mechanic. I would ask for your money back, and tell them they are responsible for the valves.

I would do a compression check.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would do a compression check.[/QUOTE]

what should they be looking for, and they did the head work for me at no cost.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what should they be looking for, and they did the head work for me at no cost.[/QUOTE]

There are write ups on this site, search it out, you can rent the tool to do it.

you basically compare the number for all cylinders and should close to each other to determine engine health.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:35 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what should they be looking for, and they did the head work for me at no cost.
You should be filing a complaint with your state automotive bureau. Let the mechanic know that you are doing this.

Since they clearly are at fault for the belt not being tensioned properly and coming off they are responsible for fixing it completely. They are essentially on the hook for replacing the engine since it's probably ruined.

This will show up when they do a compression test on it.

If they choose not to do that you should have someone else fix it, then send a demand letter to the original mechanic requesting reimbursement or you will have to sue them, or you can atleast let the original mechanic know this is one option for u.

This is what I would do.