Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Can't take off harmonic balancer bolt.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Can't take off harmonic balancer bolt.

Does anyone have any advice as to how to take off the harmonic balancer bolt on a 93 civic DX. I've tryed every thing, various types of impacts breaker bars etc. Only thing i havent tryed is heat witch I will be trying today. Any help would be greately appreciated.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Can't take off harmonic balancer bolt.

Originally Posted by RicoP
Does anyone have any advice as to how to take off the harmonic balancer bolt on a 93 civic DX. I've tryed every thing, various types of impacts breaker bars etc. Only thing i havent tryed is heat witch I will be trying today. Any help would be greately appreciated.
How much air does your compressor supply i.e. CFM at operating PSI,?
I take my car to my local tire shop, and they use their impact gun thats rated for like 1,000 ft. lbs torque that they use for big rig trucks. They loosen it up with that heavy duty gun then barely tighten it back up with a lower output impact just so I can get the car home and use my own impact gun to remove it.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 11-02-2009, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the responses.

I got it off using a bit of heat and a breaker bar. Its not a convencional harmonic balancer so i cannot use that tool but thanks.

Thank you all very much.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are these right or left handed thread my delsol has somthing wrong with the timming belt tentioner and i cant get the hermonic ballencer off eather and i have a wimpy compressor
Old 01-02-2012, 09:16 AM
EK9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put a chain wrench around the balancer tighten it and put it against the axle then use your breaker bar and loosen the bolt..done it this way forever never had a problem
Old 01-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

or for next time get some square tubing and spare bolts and weld up a custom tool to go in the holes of the pulley and hold it in place. sometimes the best tools are the ones that are home made and custom fit
Old 01-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Take the starter off put a flat head in the flywheel to lock up and take it off by applying force with your foot and a breaker bar.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A 3/4" impact gun with a high scfm output compressor is your best investment if you change lots of timing belts, saves your back also.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dc4LsTeG
Put a chain wrench around the balancer tighten it and put it against the axle then use your breaker bar and loosen the bolt..done it this way forever never had a problem
I encountered this same issue with my '01 Civic Ex. Air wrenches are the fastest but getting one with enough torque isn't always easily available. My car had 150 ft lb on it. The tool pictured above will work best. However, for your specific situation, as you now know, it will not work for the balancer in your engine. I found the chain wrench to work best (be sure to use a rubber strip to ensure you do not damage the balancer). I am not sure about your engine, but with mine the transaxle can rotate both ways but only if slowly. Try not move the transaxle while taking off the balancer to ensure timing stays correct. And you will find, the longer the breaking bar or the leverage you have breaking the nut free, the easier it is. The only breaking bar I had was 18". So, I slid a 3' long handle of an axe onto the breaking bar, (with the chain wrench in place) and the nut broke free with ease. I know this was long but I hope it helps.