Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

how do thieves bypass car alarms?

Old 12-25-2008, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how do thieves bypass car alarms?

how can they bypass car alarms without setting off the alarm--or do they actually set off the alarm, then turn it off once they're inside the vehicle? i'm getting a 2-way pager, but i know thieves can bypass them if they really want from other stories i've heard. i'd figure they would be unbeatable if your 2-way pager is in range, because when they open your door, your alarm would page you to tell you that your car door was open. but if that's the case, then how do they still get away with people's cars?
Old 12-26-2008, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: how do thieves bypass car alarms?

They break in. alarm blaring... First thing they go for is either under the dash alarm wires or straight to the engine bay to disable the alarm from the battery or whatever components are in there.

You pager will only beep for 5 seconds or so until they disable the alarm... I suggest a stealthy install. I think there is a write up on here somewhere for it and a kill switch cleverly hidden somewhere.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Even with those they can usually bypass it. The key is to slow them down as long as possible. You can do a fuel kill switch but many will just run a wire to bypass it. Ignition kill under the hood is good slow down. But if a theif wants it, they will just tow it.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:47 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

jay24K, you're exactly right. If a thief wants your car that bad, he/she will take it no matter what. Removable steering wheels, paging alarms, etc. will not stop a tow truck.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reason is because most people do not have adaquate installs on there cars. With a alarm just thrown under the dash, siren just sitting in the engine bay, No back up battery. They will just pop your hood cut the siren and unplug the battery. Then its over for your car. Most people just have starter kills and fuel kills. This might stop a rookie but not a theif that knows what he is doing. There are many ways to keep a theif from starting your car. Not very hard to do it. Most people think that going to best buy and circuit city and having a basic install is going to protect your car. Its not. And when there car get stolen they see that they spent $500 buxs on a good alarm system and refer to a saying thats not true. If they want it they will get it. If the alarm was installed correclty from the start it would not start period. Theives do not use tow trucks in all thefts. Its really pertty rare. Why becuase it makes to much noice, draws unwanted attention. And they still have to break into the car. If a theif does town your car there is a product that will kill that and its called gps tracking with e.w.s.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so, i guess i was right. no matter what, the alarm will be blaring for either a few seconds or a few minutes depending on the thief's exp, but that's all i wanted to know. i thought that there was a way they could get inside the car without setting off the alarm. i'm not worried about them stealing my car, for i have a good hidden kill-switch on my car that has saved it 2x already, but now i need to get an actual alarm to catch one or to prevent them from even thinking about it. my mechanic friend is doing a stealth install for me, so as long as the alarm is still going, then i'm sure the thief will run away or something.

so usually, if they can't stop the car alarm, they will usually just run and give up? i feel like it's so sketchy for them to pop the hood open and rip some stuff while the alarm is blaring--i can't believe they really have the ***** to do that.

i'm getting the viper 5901 installed in a few days, so i was just curious with my question. i feel like i should be pretty safe now, besides worrying about it getting towed.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:34 PM

Be sure to include an interior proximity sensor. I've been considering things lately, and if someone were absolutely desperate (this is highly unlikely) the antenna could be damaged with some sort of lengthy mechanism after prying at the window. I have yet to see this happen, heh.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:41 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I don't think we should be answering the O.P'S question.
He may be a car thief in training.
Nothing personal but it could be.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

naw man, my car got broken into twice, and the 2nd time the thief stole my cluster, windshield wipers, skunk2 shift ****. take a look at the picture of the damages (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...cture001-2.jpg)
i had a killswitch and they couldn't steal my car, but now i'm thinking about getting an actual alarm. so i was wondering if i would be pretty safe from attempts if i got a viper 2-way pager alarm + kill switches. haha i'm no thief, just a target
Old 12-26-2008, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by E.Honda
I don't think we should be answering the O.P'S question.
He may be a car thief in training.
Nothing personal but it could be.
Hiding the information is no better, relying on security through obscurity. All the methods we reveal can be prevented with just a few hours of time, ensuring a safe vehicle. :-)
Old 12-27-2008, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

theif in training or not.. its no big secret if a alarm is installed corectly.

wrx-killer-sti-eater installed a remote start 50.5x in my 07 element, and im confident it was installed correctly.

there's nothing wrong with disusing how an alarm should be installed, at the end of the day, that means the brain, and wiring will be harder and harder to deffet, and most theives will give up.

theres a few things that are a must.

back up battery
in-accesable hood pin.
interior pizzo siren.
hidden exterior siren and wiring. (inside fenders is best)
hidden alarm brain
split loom wiring as much as possible.

once the thief pops the hood, the alarm is alerted. the theif pulls the possitive battery terminal, the alarm is still sounding since you have a back up battery. the thief looks for the external siren, but can't reach the wiring, or siren it self... by then, nothing he can do, but spend several mins inside the car, trying to disable the alarm brain. all while the interior pizzo siren is rining in his ear. its not worth it.

its no secret. but you must make sure your install is though, and hidden. not some quick 30min BB/CC install on the steering column.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

like most say, alarm will slow them down, they'll get it even with an super expensive alarm. i suggest a lojack system. even if they steal it, you'll be able to find it fast and quick.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by VRD^don
like most say, alarm will slow them down, they'll get it even with an super expensive alarm. i suggest a lojack system. even if they steal it, you'll be able to find it fast and quick.
Or something that actually works more than 30 miles from my home would be nice. (Maybe in conjunction with LoJack.)
(Yep, DEI GPS again.)
Old 12-27-2008, 03:53 PM

I think most theives wont even wanna take a car unless your alarm sucked and they clipped it in 5 seconds. I think they would just smash the window and run with your CD player or something they can grab and take. They always do that around my area. Smash and Grab.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I got a relatively thick 7-strand stainless cable that's holding my head unit to my chassis. That's the basic theory behind theif deturance - do the unexpected. Once they get confused, they get slow and sloppy. That's how a theif gets caught, or detured.

Most they just disable the siren or brain by cutting exposed wires. Its not uncommon to hear an alarm triggered accidentally for 5-10 seconds. As long as it looks like the owner, most people aren't bothered by it, thinking it was an accident. I had some thieves take stuff from my cars once, and my neighbor thought it was just my brother and I - bystanders rarely investigate.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah. here they steal cars any way they can get them. i advise to do whatever u have to do to keep them from getting ur car. The point is if u want to keep ur car. Get as many gajets/alarms to prevent them from stealing ur car or parts off of it. the lo jack is a great idea. if they steal ur car u will know were its at. as far as how they get by the systems i dont know. around my way they get them with a roll back or push them down the street away from ur house from what ive heard. These ways they have more time because u dont here ur car start up. This happened to a good friend of mine they pushed his down the road and started it about 1/4 mile away. Another one of my friends they got his car with a roll back. niether car had any anti theft devise. Here is the final statement "A LOCK WILL ONLY KEEP A HONEST MAN OUT. PROTECT UR CAR IF U CARE ABOUT IT!"
Old 12-27-2008, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Luckily here, car thefts are pretty uncommon.
I just installed my alarm and I did a stealth alarm.
I did a backup battery and I hit my siren really well. To get to it, they are going to have to pull the whole fusebox. I also put my internal siren on the opposite end of my car. I figure they go for the sound first. Then they have to go to the other side to figure out where the brain is. I'm also thinking of using my old alarm and dead wiring it up. That way they go for the easy one and think WTF?!?! Imagine a thief finding brains all over your car. If it was me, I'd just shake my head and leave.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:45 PM

another thing you have to remember is when a theif is looking for those kill switches etc they arnt going to take their sweet *** time looking for them so you have to really hide them good the best spot is probably up under the dash where you cant see or reach it because if they thing its under your rug they arnt going to be nice and take it up the right way they are just going to cut it till they get to it or if they think its in the headliner they are just going to rip it right down
Old 12-28-2008, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was also told once they get the sirens off, they listen for the clicking of the alarm brain. That alerts them to where it is exactly at. That's why it is important to make it harder for them to shut those off.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by jay24k
I was also told once they get the sirens off, they listen for the clicking of the alarm brain. That alerts them to where it is exactly at. That's why it is important to make it harder for them to shut those off.
Dynamat the brain???
Old 01-01-2009, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by kanadaa
Dynamat the brain???
Amazing first post, I laughed. Welcome to Honda-Tech.

The brain's light flash relay has always annoyed me too, hearing my quarter panel tick every time I disarmed my alarm... But I do not want to disable such a feature. Thus the obvious solution is to take the light flash output, attach it to 30 relays spread throughout the car! -nods-
Old 01-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tekniq
how can they bypass car alarms without setting off the alarm
They kick your ***, and then take your keys so they won't have to bypass anything.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i heard about using a very big magnet to drain out the battery. dont know if it works though. just heard from peoples.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by integrawow
They kick your ***, and then take your keys so they won't have to bypass anything.
Not worth the time done in jail for car jacking, Thats a federal crime starting out 12yrs. Plus if you have gps you in a heap of trouble

Originally Posted by lee0149
i heard about using a very big magnet to drain out the battery. dont know if it works though. just heard from peoples.
Not true. You have speakers in your car. Those are magnets too. So thats not going to happen

Originally Posted by kanadaa
Dynamat the brain???
Yes, that will work too. But with a mini siren in the car, and a well hidden brain there not going to hear it or get to it.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont think that most people realize more times than not a thief has seen/scoped your car out if they plan on taking it. This is how they know where our sirens or wires are, once they have your siren off they have good time to do whatever they want.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how do thieves bypass car alarms?