Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Passenger Floor Wet!!!

Old 12-28-2011, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger Floor Wet!!!

So I've googled the internets and there seem to be a ton of info on why someone's 90 integra passenger floor would get hosed whenever it rains but I can't find crap about the ITR. It's raining here in the NW and #318 passenger floor is just sopping wet. I've replaced the weather stripping on the windshield cowl. Any other ideas? I can't find the trickle that makes it a puddle. Thanks!
Old 12-28-2011, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Passenger Floor Wet!!!

May be a lot of trouble but you may have to remove the carpet and drive it in the rain hoping to find it's source. Are you using the A/C to keep your windows defogged? If so check your drain hose to the system. I've seen those get clogged and back up water in the car before.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you take someone on a ride again in the R?? LoL
Old 12-28-2011, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check your coolant level. I had a hatchcrack that had a heater core leak on the floor. I'd pull the carpet until you figure it out to make sure nothing rusts.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:47 AM
Daisy... Daisy...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HYREV2NR
May be a lot of trouble but you may have to remove the carpet and drive it in the rain hoping to find it's source. Are you using the A/C to keep your windows defogged? If so check your drain hose to the system. I've seen those get clogged and back up water in the car before.
I had this happen before. I used a turkey baster to suck out the obstruction from the hose under the car. Then about a quart of water drained.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It could be the weatherstrip on the cowl, ac drain hose clogged, cowl might have debris or leaves clogging the drain passages, etc. i had something similar happen in another Integra I had and I removed the carpet (race car style), the ac blower motor and glove box for a couple of weeks while I diagnosed where the water drops were coming. In my case the cowl drain passages were dirty/clogged and water dripped into the blower compartment and then drained onto the corner of the floor carpet near where the ecu is. Hope this helps you out.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also under the cowl on the passenger side is the fresh air inlet. If water can make entrance there it will drain straight through to the floor via the duct system..
Old 12-28-2011, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Remove the black weather strips on the roof. In the channel, clean the area with a degreaser using a toothbrush. When dry, check the seams in the channel where there is factory caulk. You may see that the caulk is dry and has small cracks. Recaulk the cracked areas so that your weather strip can fit back in. When dry, replace the weather strip. Hopefully this is it.

You must have many miles on your R for this to happen. I hope this solves your problem. -Rob
Old 12-28-2011, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It could be a number of issues...like mentioned above.

When my '98 began leaking it turned out to be a crack in the seal under the corner of the windshield. Cleaned it out and resealed and it's been bone dry.
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...9/DSC_0181.jpg
Old 12-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Gah! Thanks everyone, I'll just drive it with the carpet and glove box removed for awhile. I'll probably get sick of that and just take it to a body shop. Someone tell Steve LaClair/ITRSteez 318 is leaking! Otherwise all is well!
Old 12-28-2011, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Windshield cowl area is a big area to leak. You can run some water on the passenger side window/hood area and check inside, remove the kick panel and take a look.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You are correct.

This is very common at our dealership. Clogged A/C drain
Old 12-28-2011, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LankorDie
You are correct.

This is very common at our dealership. Clogged A/C drain
Well I haven't used AC in months and it's been raining here non-stop. I don't drive the car every day so it usually sits outside. I've also replaced all of the weather stripping on the windshield cowl.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Topshot
Well I haven't used AC in months
On a side note, the car may not be a DD but when you drive it or just crank it for some idle time make sure to run the A/C for 5 min or so to keep everything in working order.

I can't tell you how many times over the past 25+ years I've seen people complain their A/C wont work in the late spring after not running it any during the winter. It either leaks down and/or a component of the system will go bad. I've asked some (mainly females) did you use your A/C any over the winter? Then they look at you with a blank stare for a second and ask something like, now why would I do that?

Just food for thought.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Topshot
Well I haven't used AC in months and it's been raining here non-stop. I don't drive the car every day so it usually sits outside. I've also replaced all of the weather stripping on the windshield cowl.
My vote goes for the cowl vent drain itself being plugged. You should be able to remove the wiper arms and then pull the black plastic grill off (carefully) to expose the cowl. There are drains on the side that are most likely clogged. When the plug, the water will rise and enter the vent. From there, its going to fill up the evaporator box and leak all over the passenger area floor.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On a side note, the car may not be a DD but when you drive it or just crank it for some idle time make sure to run the A/C for 5 min or so to keep everything in working order.

I can't tell you how many times over the past 25+ years I've seen people complain their A/C wont work in the late spring after not running it any during the winter. It either leaks down and/or a component of the system will go bad. I've asked some (mainly females) did you use your A/C any over the winter? Then they look at you with a blank stare for a second and ask something like, now why would I do that?

Just food for thought.
Good thing with most Honda's when you run the defogger the ac kicks on.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A friend of mine used to own an ITR that he bought wrecked in the front end. The body shop did a superb job fixing the car but he couldn't figure out why the A/C did work as good as mine being both our cars were the same age.

I started looking his car over when he said his passenger floorboard had soaked carpet. For some strange reason the drain hose had been pushed back up into the firewall which caused a kink in the it. I pushed it back through and immediately about a pint of water flowed out. As it cleared the A/C began to cool properly.