Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Poorman Type R

Old 12-15-2011, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poorman Type R

Ok i have a 95 b16a bottom end and a 96 GSR head with blox int. man. can these motors handle boost and if they can how much would be good for a daily driver???? the setup is bone stock other than the int. man.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Poorman Type R

yes they can and i'd say 8lbs of boost for a DD
Old 12-15-2011, 02:44 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Dammit!!! Where do you people come from with this PSI nonsense? PSI on what turbo? PSI without the turbo is just some BS number people pull outta the sky that don't know what they're talking about.

You can't answer the OPs question unless you know what turbo he's using. Chances are he doesn't know either. Just want's to turbo. Horsepower is the factor that makes boost safe or not.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its a greddy 18g turbo
Old 12-15-2011, 02:50 PM
The Grumpiest

Then list it in the first post and stop making people guess what setup is going on it. I don't know about this combo but stock B blocks can handle 300hp safely. That is common knowledge.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Dammit!!! Where do you people come from with this PSI nonsense? PSI on what turbo? PSI without the turbo is just some BS number people pull outta the sky that don't know what they're talking about.

You can't answer the OPs question unless you know what turbo he's using. Chances are he doesn't know either. Just want's to turbo. Horsepower is the factor that makes boost safe or not.
i go by what people do when they buy your average eBay turbo, 9 out 10 times that's what they do when they come to forums like this...
Old 12-15-2011, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ita all about how much horsepower the block can handle, Not the amount of air(Psi) you put in it. al turbos are diff and have diff CFM's depending on the size. BTW im pretty sure a poor mans type R is a GSR(B18c/1 block) and a B16 Head since the castings are the same as the type r heads. Just sayin lol
Old 12-15-2011, 02:59 PM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by sfar785
i go by what people do when they buy your average eBay turbo, 9 out 10 times that's what they do when they come to forums like this...
And when they do they come off looking foolish and ignorant. Don't be ignorant. Take that Ebay turbo crap OUT of here. It takes nothing to buy and install a POS Ebay turbo kit. Anyone that does is not serious about boost nor learning how it really works. All they want to do is go fast for cheap.

Horsepower starts things breaking. Not PSI.

Originally Posted by phelpsj2
Ita all about how much horsepower the block can handle, Not the amount of air(Psi) you put in it. al turbos are diff and have diff CFM's depending on the size.
To correct this, PSI is a measure of pressure (pounds per square inch). CFM is the measure of how much air a turbo can move.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Lol grumble don't even fight it anymore people will keep saying this PSI bs for a long time
Old 12-15-2011, 04:50 PM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by Wrona
Lol grumble don't even fight it anymore people will keep saying this PSI bs for a long time
Never!!!
Old 12-15-2011, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hahaha, Grumble as soon as I read the first post I knew you'd be on top of this thread....

Isn't it torque that kills engines and not horsepower? Correct me if I'm wrong but that is what I have been led to believe.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought torque kills transmissions more than engines
oO
Old 12-15-2011, 05:14 PM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by civicjunkie17
Hahaha, Grumble as soon as I read the first post I knew you'd be on top of this thread....

Isn't it torque that kills engines and not horsepower? Correct me if I'm wrong but that is what I have been led to believe.
Never read it like that. All my research always pulls up horsepower numbers but with torque and horsepower being interrelated I guess that would be accurate as well. I've just never seen a general rule of thumb when it comes to torque and engine breakage. If you find such numbers lemme know so I can add them to my "Go Fast" thread.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So back to the OP's question: can a stock B series handle boost?
So nothing needs to be changed or improved?
No better rods or what not needed?
If so, B-series are pretty awesome!
8D

(I DO wonder what kinda of compression that thing is running with that type of setup, and how high it might get if a turbo is added to an already high compression VTEC B series....)
Old 12-15-2011, 05:21 PM
The Grumpiest

I think I answered the question. Healthy stock B-series blocks can safely handle 300hp.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Never read it like that. All my research always pulls up horsepower numbers but with torque and horsepower being interrelated I guess that would be accurate as well. I've just never seen a general rule of thumb when it comes to torque and engine breakage. If you find such numbers lemme know so I can add them to my "Go Fast" thread.
Cool, and yeah man if I find anything out I'll let you know.

To the original poster, you should be fine. Keep in mind though 300whp on the street is a lot of power. Especially in a light car such as a civic.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I answered the question. Healthy stock B-series blocks can safely handle 300hp.
But for how long? If you could answer that I would love you for ever and ever. Turbo on stock internals is fun!!! until it your motor gets tired and your rings diminish their tolerances, allowing oil to fill the combustion chambers causing carbon deposits to cake your valves and cylinder head. Very quickly your precious B series motor begins to look like the colon of someone with ebola
Old 12-15-2011, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh, derp
Cool!
^^
Old 12-15-2011, 10:14 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by EJ8_Man
But for how long? If you could answer that I would love you for ever and ever. Turbo on stock internals is fun!!! until it your motor gets tired and your rings diminish their tolerances, allowing oil to fill the combustion chambers causing carbon deposits to cake your valves and cylinder head. Very quickly your precious B series motor begins to look like the colon of someone with ebola
No one can really answer this question. So many things go into how long it will list, it's stupid.

How healthy the engine was to start, how much boost,what turbo, how often are you getting on it, was it properly tuned? blah blah blah.

I have heard of people going years on boosted stock setups. Then again, if your at the track, and beating the crap out of the thing every other night don't expect it to last that long.

Summer of sophomore in HS my buddy saved up enough to build his turbo on turbo kit. Not sure on the turbo size, but ran 13psi was tuned. Stock GSR. It was blown and in peices by thanksgiving. I'll never forget what he dad said. "dumbass, what did I tell you?" lol That was the night it finaly blew, as his dad was dragging it onto the trailer. Not quite sure what happened, and I lost the pic's but #3 held a very unhappy piston.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

B16 bottom ends are known for being good for boost when properly built! There is no way you are going to reach 300whp on a stock build! Best thing you can do is either get a complete b16 or Gsr and you'll have better numbers! The way I see it the only way it might work is if u had a b16 Head and a Gsr bottom end! But it won't give you 300whp
Old 12-16-2011, 05:40 AM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by Chickenjoe
B16 bottom ends are known for being good for boost when properly built! There is no way you are going to reach 300whp on a stock build! Best thing you can do is either get a complete b16 or Gsr and you'll have better numbers! The way I see it the only way it might work is if u had a b16 Head and a Gsr bottom end! But it won't give you 300whp
Where in this thread did the OP said he wanted 300hp?
Old 12-16-2011, 05:43 AM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by EJ8_Man
Erm. You just described every engine on the planet. NO turbocharged engine is in boost 100% of it's life. If you maintain it well and get a very good tune UP FRONT and don't beat the **** out of it, it should last for years. If you want to insure reliability then build up the bottom end of the block with good parts.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chickenjoe
please stop talking. 300whp is easy and reliable on ANY healthy b series.

not to nit pick, but a b16 bottom end doesn't make it a poor man's type r. a poor man's type r is a gsr bottom end and b16 head. (why anyone would take a gsr head off to put a b16 one in its place i have no idea)
Old 12-16-2011, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kyden

not to nit pick, but a b16 bottom end doesn't make it a poor man's type r. a poor man's type r is a gsr bottom end and b16 head. (why anyone would take a gsr head off to put a b16 one in its place i have no idea)
dont bother he has 5 posts... he doesn't know what he's talking about
Old 12-16-2011, 09:37 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kyden

Some people, have the misguided belief that the b16 head flows better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Poorman Type R