Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

2nd Clutch Pressure Switch Location

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 08:33 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 2nd Clutch Pressure Switch Location

Hello. New to HT forums. Haven't been able to find this information anywhere. Thanks in advance for your help.

2002 Accord SE 4 Cyl A/T
41,000 miles
2nd Owner
No previous problems

Haven't felt any difference in driving, but Check Engine Light came on recently. The car is running fine, but I haven't been driving it and I need to get the CEL cleared so I can get my car inspected (PA).

Pulled the codes--P1738: Problem in 2nd Clutch Pressure Switch Circuit. No visible problems with any wires running into what I thought was the correct part, so I ordered the part.

It arrived ok, but I have not been able to locate the location of the pressure switch anywhere under my hood. I was incorrect with where I thought it was. I have the service manual which indicates the location on 1 diagram. The diagram is an exploded view, and I'm having difficulty orienting it. If anyone can tell me how to locate this part, or even point me in the right direction (like a photo or better diagram), I'd really appreciate it.

I took a picture of where I thought it might be located. Can anyone tell me if this is the correct location before I start disconnecting everything to get to it?

It appears a single, BLUE wire is running to the part. The wire connector attached to the part is black, and connector on the part itself looks green. My connector on the replacement part is also green.

LOCATION???
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

NEW PART:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

PART DIAGRAM
Switch is #14

http://www.hondapartscheap.com/south...41_ATM0710.gif

Back-story:
I contacted 3 Honda dealers in the area, including where the car was originally purchased. None would help without having my car looked at by a 'Honda Certified Tech' for about $95 to pull the same codes. They wouldn't order me the parts or even run my VIN to tell me if my car qualified for an extended warranty if it was a tranny problem, despite the low mileage. None of the mechanics I spoke with would acknowledge there have been numerous problems with the 98-02 Accord trannies.

I found a 4th dealer who would diagnose and order me the proper parts to fix it myself for $86 + parts. Problem is it's about 2 hours away.

The 4th dealer told me the part # for the 2nd Clutch Pressure Switch is 28600-p6h-003. He wanted $70, non-returnable shipped. For $40 shipped, I found a returnable Honda Genuine part online. Figured this was a good place to start. If it doesn't clear the code, I'll return the part and bring it to a dealer.

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2009, 07:04 AM
Trial User

Default UPDATE: FIXED!

That is indeed the correct part location. I actually came in from the top of the engine and removed the upper radiator hose and air intake to access the part. Taking off the radiator hose proved to be the most difficult task. I checked the wiring to the pressure switch, but everything was in order there. No breaks in the wiring or debris in the connector. I installed the new switch last night. This has resolved the issue.

The Check Engine Light has remained off since then. The Maintenance Required light came on, but it has remained off after I reset it by putting the key in the ignition in position II and holding down the Odo Reset button for 10-15 seconds. This likely just has something with me disconnecting the battery.

I understand it takes some time before someone answers a specialized question like this. I was in a hurry to get this resolved, so I posted this to several Honda forums. I got a response back from someone at Drive Accord. It was actually an easy fix, once I was able to access the part.

I will update this thread soon with pictures and more details to assist others who may have the same problem.

Thanks for those who may have looked at this but didn't quite have the answer. Since I have been doing much more of the car maintenance myself, I will remain a member of this forum. There seems to be a wealth of expert knowledge here. I look forward to getting to know some of you. Thanks again!
Old 07-05-2011, 05:16 PM
Trial User

Default Re: 2nd Clutch Pressure Switch Location

Can someone please provide a picture or diagram of where the 2nd clutch pressure switch is located on a 2001 Accord 4 cylinder? I need to get this replaced and can't locate it in the manual or online. Referencing the picture above, I have a hose going into the engine right where the picture states it should be. I would greatly appreciate it!!
Old 07-05-2011, 07:12 PM
Trial User

I posted additional images here: https://picasaweb.google.com/inscept...eat=directlink

They should help you identify the part location. I found the parts diagram to be unhelpful.

I purchased the part off ebay Motors. The seller's name was Tom Bracco. You can reach him at his store: http://myworld.ebay.com/tombracco/ or by e-mail: thomasbracco33@yahoo.com

A quick search indicates he doesn't have the part listed, but I'm sure if you e-mail and ask him he can hook you up. This was his listing title: HONDA SWITCH, O 5201694 28600-P6H-003 and it was $39.79 shipped.

If that doesn't work, search for the part 28600-P6H-003. I found it here for $48.71 + S&H. That was just a quick Google search, maybe you can do better.

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine...0-P6H-003.html

RockAuto.com generally has really good deals. Just make sure they have the part you need.

Everyone told me (dealers and techs) I'd have to drop the engine and pull the tranny to access the part, but I was able to do the whole job with some handtools, although it was a tight squeeze. It helped to have a mini socket wrench, small channel locks, and small vice grips, too. I also used a mirror to see what I was doing. If you have real big hands, you may need someone to help you out who can reach under it. Perhaps they just wanted to charge the big labor rate?
Old 07-06-2011, 06:34 AM
Trial User

Thank you for your reply, I found where this cable was and its in a quite different location on the 2001 accord, its in the same general area but 180 degree's opposite of the place where your photo directed, it actually sits on the transmission side with the wire pointing out towards your location. My cable wasn't even connected which is why it was throwing the P1738 error code. I cleaned the cable and connector and cleared the error code, will test drive later today and report the results.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Trial User

hey, I have an engine light saying: 2nd clutch pressure switch failure.
I was wondering where can I buy the pressure switch? I couldn't search this on the internet but since this post is about replacing the pressure switch I thought of asking this here. I went to Advance Auto and Auto Zone. The ones I went to seem to not have it. btw: it's for a 1999 accord lx 4 cyl. 4 door.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i made a tutorial on how to change this part out. jw2009 was totally right with location and all that. my car is very similar to his.

2002 Honda Accord
110,000 miles, 4cyl EX, A/T

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc6A4omhhno
Old 03-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RWBrown80
Thank you for your reply, I found where this cable was and its in a quite different location on the 2001 accord, its in the same general area but 180 degree's opposite of the place where your photo directed, it actually sits on the transmission side with the wire pointing out towards your location. My cable wasn't even connected which is why it was throwing the P1738 error code. I cleaned the cable and connector and cleared the error code, will test drive later today and report the results.
I found this to be true. I just pulled out my sensor and it has no connector???? the wire goes directly into the sensor HELP HELP!! how do I proceed now?
Old 10-06-2014, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RWBrown80
Please I have same car as yours, can you post a picture? I need to locate it on mine cos I'm having issues with mine too.