Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Odyssey - recommended timing belt replacement

Old 11-19-2011, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odyssey timing belt replacement - UPDATE, advice requested

My 2003 Odyssey maintenance schedule includes replacing timing belt at 84 months. The vehicle only has 38k miles, and I'm currently only driving about 2k/yr. My mechanic is not normally one to push unwanted maintenance, but he recommends replacing now. His reason is because belts deteriorates regardless of miles (like tires). I'm looking for advice, as I imagine this would be a major expense. I plan to keep the van for at least 4 more years. Also, would the cost be substantially different if the timing belt were to fail while driving?

My 2006 CR-V maintenance schedule doesn't mention a timing belt at all. The mechanic said he thought it has a timing chain so routine replacement is not required. Is this correct?

Thanks!

Last edited by ginahoy; 12-07-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Odyssey - recommended timing belt replacement

38k only? T belt should have plenty of life left.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:22 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd consider it considering the amount of years that the belt has (he's correct on the deterioration of the material, especially if the car sat for long periods of time), going on 9 years. While he's in there I'd recommend the water pump and accessory belts as well.

As for the CRV it has a chain which isn't usually a maintenance item to be replaced.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

10 years or 105k per honda
Old 11-20-2011, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ah, a divergence of opinion. No surprise there. Good idea about water pump and accessory belts.

My mechanic seemed to suggest that the cost would be higher if it breaks while in use. Is there any basis to that?

Originally Posted by Lewy. Dee Ayy
10 years or 105k per honda
My book says 105k/84mo. Maybe newer models stipulate 105k/120mo? If so, wonder if they've improved the material or just got better statistics indicating a longer life?
Old 11-20-2011, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes if it breaks during use it could cause internal damage.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:03 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah if it's an interference engine if the timing belt breaks bye bye valves at the least
Old 11-20-2011, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I'm going forward with replacement, along with accessory belts.

Shouldn't the water pump be fine with only 38k miles? I'm unlikely to reach much more than 50k before the belt needs changing again, assuming I keep the van that long. OR does the pump have parts that deteriorate with age?

BTW, the van never sits for longer than 3 weeks. I average at least 150/mo.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I work for honda

make sure to replace your tensioner along with your water pump when doing your t-belt. Wouldnt you hate to have these fail months after you just did your t-belt and have to pay for all that labor all over again. And if the tensioner fails you better hope you dont blow your motor

I always say do it right the first time or dont do it at all. I just did an 02 civic with 13k miles on it not to long ago and the t-belt looked BEAT just due to age. you cant base everything off miles.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Severe conditions (60% fall into this) 60,000, normal 105k. If you snap your belt at 90k your service Guide is not going to fix the damage. Expect to pay around 950-1200. Buy a gates kit and gates water pump. Pepboys and autozone pump do not line up.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

90,000 miles to be safe! and as stated above replace tensioner.water pump while you are under that cover
Old 11-21-2011, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just made a couple of calls. One shop told me the kit they use (Continental) includes 2 pulleys and an idler, in addition to the water pump and hydraulic tensioner. Their price was too high, plus I will only use OEM parts. But I was wondering about the need to replace pulleys and idler, since I haven't seen that mentioned here or in other threads on timing belt replacement. Especially given that my van only has 38k miles. What say you?
Old 11-21-2011, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Heres what we do at honda with our v6 belt kits

T-belt
Waterpump
Both drive belts
t-belt Tensioner
2 Gallons of coolant

No need to replace any pulleys unless they are already bad. There is a pully on the waterpump for the tensioner that gets swapped from the old one to the new one. No need to replace it
Old 11-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks. I noticed the manual says cooling system has 2 gallons capacity (drain down including reservoir). That confused me, because I thought mixing 50/50 would therefore only require 1 gallon of coolant. So is the actually drain-down capacity 4 gallons or does this coolant used undiluted?
Old 11-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

honda coolant is pre-mixed
Old 11-21-2011, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep its pre-mixed
Old 12-02-2011, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

One more question if you don't mind. When replacing the timing belt, does the oil need to be drained?

BTW, the local Honda dealer quoted $700 flat, including the two accessory belts, water pump and hydraulic tensioner. None of the independents could (or would) compete with that. I'm guessing the dealer's shop is a bit slow and they're taking their experience (actual time) into consideration rather than quoting the book rate. RightHondaParts.com quoted $240 plus tax and s/h for the three belts, tensioner and pump. I find them to be very competitive for genuine Honda parts.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ginahoy
One more question if you don't mind. When replacing the timing belt, does the oil need to be drained?

BTW, the local Honda dealer quoted $700 flat, including the two accessory belts, water pump and hydraulic tensioner. None of the independents could (or would) compete with that. I'm guessing the dealer's shop is a bit slow and they're taking their experience (actual time) into consideration rather than quoting the book rate. RightHondaParts.com quoted $240 plus tax and s/h for the three belts, tensioner and pump. I find them to be very competitive for genuine Honda parts.
No need to drain the oil. $700 bucks is cheap, make sure you know exactly what is being replaced. Then go for it.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DCFIVER
No need to drain the oil. $700 bucks is cheap, make sure you know exactly what is being replaced. Then go for it.
thx
Old 12-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Timing belt replaced yesterday. When I dropped off the van, the service rep confirmed the water pump, hydraulic tensioner and accessory belts would all be replaced, as per verbal quote provided previously.

After I returned home after picking up the vehicle, I noticed tensioner was not on the invoice, yet the price was not reduced -- the invoice came to $730 plus tax and shop supplies (I added an oil change), so it's obvious they made the invoice work out to match the quote.

I called the service rep. He said the mechanic probably determined the tensioner didn't need replacing. Wow. Anticipating that he would offer to refund the price of the part, I pointed out that if the tensioner were to ever fail, it would cost a lot more than $130 to replace. Surprisingly, he offered to replace the tensioner at no additional cost. Obviously, that disarmed me.

Since my van only has 38k, I decided not to be a hard ***. I asked if he would prefer to provide a written warranty covering all costs of replacing the tensioner and related costs if it were to fail within the 7 year interval before next timing belt replacement, or until I sell the vehicle. He agreed, and said he would let me know when the document is ready.

I figure this is better for me and for them. Even if they replace the tensioner, there's always small chance it might fail within 7 years and not be covered.

I imagine the service rep (he's not the manager) will need to get approval to execute such an unusual warranty. Since this is not a done deal yet, I would appreciate your advice. What would you do?

Last edited by ginahoy; 12-07-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ginahoy
Timing belt replaced yesterday. When I dropped off the van, the service rep confirmed the water pump, hydraulic tensioner and accessory belts would all be replaced, as per verbal quote provided previously.

After I returned home after picking up the vehicle, I noticed tensioner was not on the invoice, yet the price was not reduced -- the invoice came to $730 plus tax and shop supplies (I added an oil change), so it's obvious they made the invoice work out to match the quote.

I called the service rep. He said the mechanic probably determined the tensioner didn't need replacing. Wow. Anticipating that he would offer to refund the price of the part, I pointed out that if the tensioner were to ever fail, it would cost a lot more than $130 to replace. Surprisingly, he offered to replace the tensioner at no additional cost. Obviously, that disarmed me.

Since my van only has 38k, I decided not to be a hard ***. I asked if he would prefer to provide a written warranty covering all costs of replacing the tensioner and related costs if it were to fail within the 7 year interval before next timing belt replacement, or until I sell the vehicle. He agreed, and said he would let me know when the document is ready.

I figure this is better for me and for them. Even if they replace the tensioner, there's always small chance it might fail within 7 years and not be covered.

I imagine the service rep (he's not the manager) will need to get approval to execute such an unusual warranty. Since this is not a done deal yet, I would appreciate your advice. What would you do?
Having been involved in automotive lawsuits as an SME (Subject Matter Expert) I can tell you that the court will side in your favor should the tensioner fail and the shop refuse to pay for any and all repairs related to the failure. Make sure you get it clearly stated in writing and you should be fine. ( I say should because the final decision is ultimately up to the Judge and you never know...)
Old 12-08-2011, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Me personally I would demand the tensioner be replaced only due to the fact of the hassle/downtime if it were to fail.

And to make sure they actually DO replace it tell them you want to see everything when its taken apart
Old 12-08-2011, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Lewy. Dee Ayy
Me personally I would demand the tensioner be replaced only due to the fact of the hassle/downtime if it were to fail.
Thanks. I just heard from the service mgr today and they decided to replace rather than create a 7 year warranty on the existing part. Even though the chances are small it will fail, especially given the low mileage, I think he's concerned about potential for collateral costs if it should fail.

And to make sure they actually DO replace it tell them you want to see everything when its taken apart
Great idea. I live fairly close to the dealer. Out of curiosity, as an alternative, how easy (or difficult) would it be for me to eyeball the tensioner and perhaps mark it in some way ahead of time? I know it's difficult to replace, but is it easily accessible to see?
Old 12-09-2011, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You won't be able to get to it unless the timing belt covers are off.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can actually get to HALF of the tensioner with the covers on http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/m/mUH7...QfcIfg/140.jpg Check out that picture the section the LEFT (longer part) of the 2 bolt holes sticks out of the cover. Its located right above the oil filter housing and normally has a plastic C clip wrapped around it holding a wiring harness. You could either use a marker or what i would do is take a screw driver and make some scratch marks on it (harder to get rid of)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Odyssey - recommended timing belt replacement