Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

d16y8 turbo and meth inject as a daily driver???

Old 11-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d16y8 turbo and meth inject as a daily driver???

I recently got a 1996 civic dx. Its burning oil. Im planning on swapping in a y8 that will have low comp pistons for turbo. Putting together a turbo kit and running a meth injection kit from AEM. Im just wondering if its a good idea for using that as a daily driver. If not ill buy a shell and make myself a weekend/strip car. Just wondering if anyone out there is running a meth injection kit daily. And how does everyone feel about meth inception here?
Old 11-10-2011, 06:10 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: d16y8 turbo and meth inject as a daily driver???

IMO it sounds like a ridiculous waste. Why would you need to run a Methanol injection kit on a daily driver?
Old 11-10-2011, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i figured for extra relieability? Is it not needed?
Old 11-10-2011, 06:16 PM
The Grumpiest

Do you know what the purpose of a methanol injection kit is?
Old 11-10-2011, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To lower the temp in the motor to keep it from blowing up. At least thats what i think
Old 11-10-2011, 06:34 PM
The Grumpiest

You think? I better go out and get one. I must have been out of my mind running a boosted engine with no methanol injection for the past three years.

Tip. The trick to longevity with a turbo is the the quality of the build and most importantly, the tune.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

He could run lower octane and save on gas money, but generally methanol works as a cooling agent for cylinder temperatures which get very high on a car where extra air is forced in. The lower the cylinder temps is the high amount of boost and the more aggressive your ignition timing can be run if you were to add it to fuel.

It is also possible to run a lower octane fuel and methanol injection. Assuming you understand how octane works. Long story short is the higher the octane the cooler your cylinder temps are, and you can see how methanol can play part in this. However, if you were run methanol injection and for any reason it were not to come out your fuel mixture would become too lean and the chance of detonation under boost greatly increases. In turn you could blow up your engine, just weigh your options and understand the pros and cons.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't understand why people must be so cocky as if they knew everything out of the womb. It is a reasonable question you could have simply pointed him to search or given him a quick brief
Old 11-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chak
I don't understand why people must be so cocky as if they knew everything out of the womb. It is a reasonable question you could have simply pointed him to search or given him a quick brief
because people come on this forum and ask stupid questions every day every hour on this forum it gets tiring to tell them to search everytime its kind of implied that you should search before you post just sayin
Old 11-10-2011, 06:46 PM
The Grumpiest

Because these types of questions are asked on an almost daily basis with the answers to be found with a simple search. No new ground being broken here. The same search that I would have done to find the answer is the same search that the OP could of done prior to asking the question.

It was glaringly apparent that the OP had no clue why he was going to run a meth kit. And for turbo, spoon feeding information is not beneficial as much as you might think it would be. If he listens to the advice of someone that only SOUNDS like he knows what he's talking about and blows up his engine in the process, who's fault is it? There's an FAQ in the Forced Induction forum that BEGS to be read by all these people that dream of a turbo'd Civic. Utilize it.

This isn't an intake we're talking about installing.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by osbunjosh
To lower the temp in the motor to keep it from blowing up. At least thats what i think
It will lower the temps but research the burn rate for meth. Another option is to run the car a little more on the richer side. While this does decrease performance and burn a hole in your pocket it does help cool the motor more then running it on the lean side.

As stated, a tune is needed for the longevity of the motor. I would personally not push past 250 whp on a d16y8 for a DD. Again its nothing against the motor or the tune, just personal preference.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

He could run lower octane and save on gas money, but generally methanol works as a cooling agent for cylinder temperatures which get very high on a car where extra air is forced in.
He could do that...but somehow it doesn't seem like the most cost effective way to save at the pump.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He said he's getting a low compression y8...I'm assuming it's a Vitara/rods motor. You can reach 300whp on that motor with the STOCK head and the right turbo. Why would you waste money on a meth kit?

A good tuner will be able to tune your built y8 and make it reliable, methanol will not.

I'm making 235whp on a bone stock y8 and it's my DD. The 250whp comment above is stupid...with a built motor 300whp DD is no problem, although you'll just be spinning 1-3rd
Old 11-11-2011, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright so I'm gonna piece together a kit. And go to slow-motion motorsports. Iv heard very good things about them. Used to have a ls vtec crx tuned by them. But this is gonna be my first boosted build. Just wanna do it right the first time instead of having to go back and rebuild cause of something blowing up. Thats why i figure meth injection would help but if you guys have had experience with a d16y8 then i suppose you guys would know.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The real issue with methanol injection on a DD is not so much the waste of money, thats something only you can determine, it is that on any given trip down the road you may run out and with the car properly tuned to use the injection system and an empty tank you stand the chance of running into detonation and engine failure at the very worst time.

Otherwise, you can run a little closer to the limits on pump gas with an methanol injection system, because the air inlet air temps will lower, the air will be more dense which allows more fuel to be injected thus more potential power to be had with proper ignition timing.

When your methanol tank is empty and you romp on it with a tune that is close to the limits with the methanol injection system running you will have issues.

Can it be done? Yes. Should it be done? Only if you must run the same engine tune and fuel type on race day.

My opinion is that running that close to the limits on a DD is not the best idea.

Maurice