Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Skunk2 Pro1 B-series Cam Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skunk2 Pro1 B-series Cam Install

This is just an FYI for everyone who sets out to install these cams. You MUST use cam gears in order to install these cams. I learned a hard lesson this past weekend. These cams must be degreed in order to sit properly under the cam caps and have clearance to all the valves. If the cams are installed with stock cam gears or the aftermarket cam gears are set to zero, you will not be able to spin the cams a full 360 degrees. If you try to time the motor and then spin by hand, the belt will skip over and over again.

Skunk2 has a catalog on their website that provides the information on a recomended setting in order to get the cam installed. The information is provided on page 17 of the catalog.

I wish somewhere would have stated clearly "These are not drop in cams" "Cam Gears are required for installation". Anyway, I should get the gears sometime this week and complete the install by this weekend.

I hope this will save someone else the time and effort of the couple of hours I put into this install.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Skunk2 Pro1 B-series Cam Install

if you're running such aggressive cams, you should have already known to degree them.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's great. A smart ***. I do not need your criticism. This is an FYI for people that are interested. Keep your smart comment to yourself.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Should of done some research or ask skunk2 themselves.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you should really check your timing belt its not supose to skip like that....the reason why it was spinning fullys is probably cause u had v2v issues...before you blow your engine check that...you might have bent valves already...whats your set up?

ive saw an engine running pro2s on stock cam gears...it ran like crap..then the engine blew up cause they didnt degree them in...so check your setup before you finish your install...
Old 11-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I believe 00RED_SIR runs 0,0 with his Pro2 cams.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:39 PM
20% cooler

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kyden
if you're running such aggressive cams, you should have already known to degree them.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not the camgears that is your problem, its the big primarys along with the stiffer valve springs. Use the coat hanger trick to put more tension on the timing belt.

You should have checked v2v clearance to ensure you don't run the valves to close. You need adjustable gears to do that.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hulkdon1
This is just an FYI for everyone who sets out to install these cams. You MUST use cam gears in order to install these cams. I learned a hard lesson this past weekend. These cams must be degreed in order to sit properly under the cam caps and have clearance to all the valves. If the cams are installed with stock cam gears or the aftermarket cam gears are set to zero, you will not be able to spin the cams a full 360 degrees. If you try to time the motor and then spin by hand, the belt will skip over and over again.

Skunk2 has a catalog on their website that provides the information on a recomended setting in order to get the cam installed. The information is provided on page 17 of the catalog.

I wish somewhere would have stated clearly "These are not drop in cams" "Cam Gears are required for installation". Anyway, I should get the gears sometime this week and complete the install by this weekend.

I hope this will save someone else the time and effort of the couple of hours I put into this install.
No offense, but your post kind of lends itself to criticism. Skunk clearly states that the Pro 1 cams are not drop-in cams. Everyone makes mistakes so its no big deal. But it's better to fully research before diving into a project.

Also, the Pro 1's are for heavily modified engines. Your build specs weren't listed but a set of GSR or ITR/CTR cams are more than adequate for upwards of 500WHP. Realistically the money can be better spent elsewhere.
Attached Images  

Last edited by mechanix619; 11-03-2011 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Reason for Editing:
Old 11-03-2011, 06:10 PM
All Motor Mentor

Originally Posted by mouab18c1
I believe 00RED_SIR runs 0,0 with his Pro2 cams.
I run them at a different setting but I could get away with them at 0-0 barely. If he has an older set of pro 1's, he wouldn't be able to do the 0-0 without v2v contact and that sounds like the reason for his belt skipping...not good.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 00Red_SiR
I run them at a different setting but I could get away with them at 0-0 barely. If he has an older set of pro 1's, he wouldn't be able to do the 0-0 without v2v contact and that sounds like the reason for his belt skipping...not good.
Ah thanks for confirming.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is wonderful to see how everyone likes to criticize. Try installing these cams before making statements. I have installed many different many cams in the past. I am no mechanic, but I've been doing this Honda thing since 1998.

Listed below is the description on Skunk2's website for the Pro 1's. What I am trying to convey is, if it is a requirement for the cams to be degreed and cam gears are needed, it should be clearly stated just as valvesprings and retainers, higher compression and injectors are required.

I don't need anyone to tell me to do more research. Everything that I found when I searched were opinions. "You need gears you don't." I am stating a fact for anyone that does a search for Pro 1 cam install in the future. Basically, this is a easy FYI.

These are the newest edition of the cams.

I will only accept insight from anyone else who has installed or attempted to install these cams. Everyone else should just take this thread as FYI.

"B-Series Pro Series Camshafts Pro 1+

More Views.
B-Series Pro Series Camshafts Pro 1+
305-05-5140

Part Number Fits:
Click To Display By: Engine/ Vehicle..Acura B17A1
Acura B18C1, C5
Honda B16A2, A3
1992 - 2001 Acura Integra (GS-R)1997 - 2001 Acura Integra (Type R)1999 - 2000 Honda Civic Coupe (Si)1994 - 1997 Honda del Sol (VTEC)Note:

Required: Tuner Series Valve Springs, Titanium Retainers.
Recommended: High-compression, fuel pressure regulator and/or upgraded fuel injectors, VTEC controller, modified ECU, Pro Series Valve Springs.

For complete lift and duration specifications, see Camshafts Specifications tab below.
Intake Centerline: 98° ATDC
Exhaust Centerline: 105° BTDC
Valve Clearance (Intake / Exhaust): .007” / .008”
RPM Range: 1,500 - 9,000 rpm
HP Gains: 15 - 20 hp
Torque Gains: 18 - 22 lb-ft Status: Back Order Email to a Friend
Size: 20 x 6 x 3 in. Be the first to review this product
Weight: 11 lbs
$665.69 Qty: Back Order . Add to Wishlist.

Product Description
Gain an extra 15-20 hp with Skunk2’s Pro 1+ Camshafts, our professional line of high-lift, racing camshafts for Honda’s B-series VTEC engines. Pro 1+ Camshafts are designed to optimize mid-range and top-end horsepower and torque, with peak power realized at the factory redline. As a result, VTEC crossover is seamless, allowing for the broadest powerband possible. No other line of racing camshafts even comes close to Skunk2’s Pro Series. What's more, Pro 1+ Camshafts are also the perfect addition to any high-output, turbocharged engine.

Skunk2’s Pro Series Camshafts for Honda’s B-series engines dramatically increase both horsepower and torque yet retain complete valvetrain stability and exceptional engine response. Ideal for heavily modified engines, Pro Series ... [Read more ↓] Camshafts are manufactured from proprietary, high-quality cores, are CNC ground, and feature patent-pending profiles with unique lobe shapes and revolutionary lift, velocity, and acceleration characteristics.

Skunk2 camshafts deliver unparalleled power as a result of continual, extensive development and testing. By utilizing advanced manufacturing techniques and the latest computerized simulation and modeling equipment, Skunk2 camshafts are able to deliver maximum power across the entire powerband. Skunk2 designs and tests all of its camshafts in-house to ensure the highest quality and performance. Each camshaft is manufactured of newly revised chill-cast, billet camshaft blanks that have increased torsional strength, improved durability characteristics, and reduced frictional effects. All Skunk2 camshafts are ground to exact specifications using state-of-the-art CNC cam grinding machines equipped with cubic-boron grinding wheels and feature hardened, wear-resistant lobes and surfaces.

Skunk2’s Pro Series Camshafts also feature Fast Ramp and AMAX profile technology, which increases overall performance and results in unmatched response from idle to redline. AMAX technology simply maximizes the area under the lift curve but without compromising reliability or valvetrain stability. Skunk2’s profiles feature more duration than competitors’ at lifts above 1mm, resulting in greater efficiency and more power. And thanks to Fast Ramp, the same technology used in Formula One racing, seat timing is reduced, which results in additional cylinder pressure and more torque but without compromising valvetrain longevity.

Skunk2 camshafts designs are the direct result of our years of drag racing and road racing efforts. In addition to each Skunk2 project car and race vehicle, the world’s top road racing and drag racing teams have relied on Skunk2 camshafts for years."
Old 11-04-2011, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The FAQ section of the site is not the appropriate place for information that states a product is not a drop in. It should be by the product description or requirements. Thanks for pointing out that the info is not in the product description but by the FAQ's.

Originally Posted by mechanix619
No offense, but your post kind of lends itself to criticism. Skunk clearly states that the Pro 1 cams are not drop-in cams. Everyone makes mistakes so its no big deal. But it's better to fully research before diving into a project.

Also, the Pro 1's are for heavily modified engines. Your build specs weren't listed but a set of GSR or ITR/CTR cams are more than adequate for upwards of 500WHP. Realistically the money can be better spent elsewhere.
Attached Images  
Old 11-04-2011, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not being a smart ***, you just didn't read the paper that came with the cams. i have pro1's in my own car.

WARNING!!
• It is the responsibility of the engine builder or end user to check all clearances when using high lift camshafts.
• Pro Series Stage I camshafts are not emissions legal.
• DO NOT use oversized valves.
• DO NOT increase overlap over specifications below.
• Improperly installed and degreed camshafts can cause catastrophic engine damage and failure.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, if you don't want to be a smart ***, where does it state that cam gears are needed and that the cams are to be degreed on the instructions that cam with the cams. Everything you just wrote verbatim from the install instructions do not say that.

I am happy that you have the cams in your car and I would take constructive input from you, but did you install the cams yourself? If so, were they easy to install and what did you degree each cam to in order to complete the install?
Old 11-04-2011, 06:18 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

The FAQ section of the site is not the appropriate place for information that states a product is not a drop in. It should be by the product description or requirements. Thanks for pointing out that the info is not in the product description but by the FAQ's.
Why not talk to Skunk2 about moving that information to where you feel would be most effective? I think you're taking this critique a bit too heavy. When using these or any aftermarket camshafts, you, the builder yourself, have a duty to be a little OCD and check, check, check to make sure that these are going to be installed properly. Hell, make a damn PHONE CALL to skunk2 to confirm if you think trying to find their information is tedious. When we installed ours, and weren't sure before we ordered, we actually CALLED THEM FIRST DIRECTLY. They answered the phone promptly and guided us the whole way. Even gave us specifications on what the install height of the valvesprings needed to be.. They also sent an e-mail to me to confirm what we spoke about.

I'm just saying that when you decide to build in engine, or have one built, try and get the information in ways other not to just not-see-it-on-the-website excuse as a cause of blame. We're not critiquing you as a person, just your methodology of trying to gather information. Websites don't tell everything... not even close.

And yes, we have a set currently working on the car now. I didn't wait for some website to feed. I CALLED THEM DIRECTLY.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, if you don't want to be a smart ***, where does it state that cam gears are needed and that the cams are to be degreed on the instructions that cam with the cams. Everything you just wrote verbatim from the install instructions do not say that.

I am happy that you have the cams in your car and I would take constructive input from you, but did you install the cams yourself? If so, were they easy to install and what did you degree each cam to in order to complete the install?
yes i did install it. since my head and block were both decked, i ended up at +2 on each, ls/vtec. if you haven't degreed before, i would take it to someone. i hear you are supposed to keep 4 degrees lobe separation, but i have it degreed to skunk2's specs.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is what I'm talkin about. I want to hear support not negative feedback. I did ended up calling them on Monday and getting that all squared away.
I have done many aftermarket cam installs, mostly stage 1 and 2 crower, comp cams and skunk2 tuner series. Never had this problem in the past. You live and learn.

I am just trying to give people that plan on installing these cams in the future, some direction. I guess the whole FYI thing is impossible to understand.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is a FYI post. Not a cry for help or criticism. He ran into a problem while installing these cams (which im pretty sure plenty of people have ran into the same problem due to the lack of information from Skunk2) and decided to create a FYI post to HELP and INFORM any other people that plan on buying these cams. Give credit and thanks where credit is due. Who knows how many people will benefit from this info. Leave the unneccesary comments somewhere else. Don't like it then move on.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NikNyceEg6
This is a FYI post. Not a cry for help or criticism. He ran into a problem while installing these cams (which im pretty sure plenty of people have ran into the same problem due to the lack of information from Skunk2) and decided to create a FYI post to HELP and INFORM any other people that plan on buying these cams. Give credit and thanks where credit is due. Who knows how many people will benefit from this info. Leave the unneccesary comments somewhere else. Don't like it then move on.
The problem with this thread is that the OP is mix-matching information. For example, the sentence "these cams must be degreed in order to sit properly under the cam caps and have clearance to all the valves" is correct and incorrect. Yes, the cams need to be degreed but not degreeing them has nothing to do with them not sitting properly in the cam caps.

If the OP really wanted to help people he should have approached this thread a little differently. Based on what he said, the issue is purely a result of insufficient research.

1. Adjustable cam gears are not required in order to install the Pro 1 camshafts. However, the cam gears will allow the user to squeeze more power out of the camshafts because of tweaking the timing.

2. The Pro 1 camshafts do need to be degreed in order to avoid damaging the valvetrain.

3. Because of the above, the Pro 1 camshafts are not a drop-in camshaft. The lift and duration are more aggressive than stock.

4. Skunk2 provides this information on their website.

Last edited by mechanix619; 11-04-2011 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 11-05-2011, 04:29 AM
All Motor Mentor

Originally Posted by mechanix619
If the OP really wanted to help people he should have approached this thread a little differently. Based on what he said, the issue is purely a result of insufficient research.

1. Adjustable cam gears are not required in order to install the Pro 1 camshafts. However, the cam gears will allow the user to squeeze more power out of the camshafts because of tweaking the timing.

2. The Pro 1 camshafts do need to be degreed in order to avoid damaging the valvetrain.

3. Because of the above, the Pro 1 camshafts are not a drop-in camshaft. The lift and duration are more aggressive than stock.

4. Skunk2 provides this information on their website.
Cam gears are not required to install the cams or any cams for that matter but they are required for tuning the cams which you'll need on ANY cam that's larger than OEM. That's common knowledge in my opionion and someone that doesn't know at least that much shouldn't be touching cams before researching them first.

Pro series cams should be degreed in if a person installing them has not checked their v2v clearances before hand.

This isn't rocket science, it's up to the individual who's purchasing the product, to know what they are buying before they do and know what they're doing before installing them. If they don't, they need to have someone install them, who does.

There's plenty of information that comes on Skunk's website, these online forums and on the paperwork that accompanies the cams, to not make these kinds of mistakes. All of this information was well known about the pro series cams since they hit the market many years ago which is why you don't see or need threads like this. It's redundant information.