Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Intermittent front end vibration 2005 CRV

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 07:40 AM
gdl
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Intermittent front end vibration 2005 CRV

Hello I just joined this forum and it looks like it will be a great resource.

I have a 2005 Honda CRV and get an intermittent vibration in the front end when going anywhere from 35-49 mph. Usually on straight, smooth road. Lasts for say 10 seconds then stops. New, balanced tires. Alignment is good. No work has ever been done to the front end, never has been in an accident. Usually when I am going at constant speed or under slight acceleration. Happened once when I was going through a gentle right curve on the highway, but instead of seeming to be in the center or rhs of front end, then was on the left.

I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow to see what they think. Would like to know what the thoughts are from members of this forum as to what it may and may not be, and what to expect from dealer.....thx.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intermittent front end vibration 2005 CRV

Expect the dealer to rip you off, unfortunately. At least, thats been my experience with DFW area Honda dealers.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mileage?
Old 05-17-2011, 01:48 PM
Trial User

GDL please check your pms
Old 05-17-2011, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it 4WD?

Check the driveshaft running to the rear of the vehicle, notorious for U-joint failure and will vibrate the vehicle front and rear, depending on which joint goes first.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:41 PM
Trial User

I had a similar issue. I concluded it was the front end struts and the tie rod ends. The rubber bumpers were cracked and beginning to leak grease. Problem fixed.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi GDL,

any updates on this problem? I just bought a 2005 CRV, it drives beautifully but every now and then I get a vibration through the front end, lasts about 2-3 seconds then its gone. It is intermittent and has occurred at varying speeds, generally under light acceleration I think.

Would be very grateful to hear if you ever got to the bottom of it.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:45 AM
Trial User

Icon5 Re: Intermittent front end vibration 2005 CRV

Originally Posted by gdl
Hello I just joined this forum and it looks like it will be a great resource.

I have a 2005 Honda CRV and get an intermittent vibration in the front end when going anywhere from 35-49 mph. Usually on straight, smooth road. Lasts for say 10 seconds then stops. New, balanced tires. Alignment is good. No work has ever been done to the front end, never has been in an accident. Usually when I am going at constant speed or under slight acceleration. Happened once when I was going through a gentle right curve on the highway, but instead of seeming to be in the center or rhs of front end, then was on the left.
I have the exact same issue (or it sounds exactly the same on a 2007 Honda Accord V6 (EX-L) ... it started after it was "repaired" (and I use that term loosely) 2 years ago after I was rear-ended. When I take it to the shop, it drives perfectly... (which I've done 3 times so far)... it's not a huge issue, but it does concern me.. I've got 74,800 miles on it and it runs fine otherwise, but the hesitation (front back - not side to side) when I slightly accelerate usually going up small grades. Sometimes it seems to happen in neutral also, but it's hard to tell. ... has anyone encountered this and if so.. how did you fix?? Thanks in Advance, Dan

FYI -- When I got it repaired after the accident, the back end squeaked like an old mattress.... I took it to honda and they found that issue (some of the bolts were not torqued down enough)... I'm thinking the repair also left some other bolts not tightened down to specs... but my mechanic can't find anything else... and of course when my mechanic has driven it... it hasn't happened... the accident was 20K miles ago...
Old 11-01-2015, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did they do anything to the roads you are driving on? Symptoms sound exactly what happens to me at certain parts of the highway or local roads around here, I'll be driving and it feels like my wheel is going to fall off every single time I drive on this road by my house. On the highway the just repaved it and on mine and my wife's spec-v it feels like the wheel bearing just blew out for like 5 miles then it goes away, then 2 minutes ahead there's another 4 mile section it's like you broke a lug nut, and then you exit to the North freeway and for around 15 miles my alignment is completely wrecked to the left and then it's smooth the rest of the way. And then the way back is a whole different story, I can't even focus on the road because somehow they managed to build speed bumps ON THE HIGHWAY and every 20 feet SMACK SMACK you hit this giant bump and 20 feet SMACK SMACK and it's that gut wrenching thank god I don't have low profile tires or I'd need a neck brace, but then a few miles up the road the highway curves and they just repaved it and didn't add a grade to the curve (Which it had but somehow they removed it) and each lane has it's own random unevenness and the alignment feels like it's busted again.

I took my historical Civic out and that thing doesn't have power steering and It dawned on me!! The roads are just completely F&^$*#& around here and my car is perfectly fine.

Just my own experience. Any commute I travel is completely botched and when they repair it, you'd rather just have foot deep potholes than a completely uneven surface, it feels like it's ripping my wheels off seriously.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi,

actually for quite some time I had assumed the vibrations were from the road. But after time it was clear that this was not the case and it was indeed the car.

UPDATE: thought I would post the resolution of my problem for anyone who might read this thread, turns out I needed the torque converters replaced (whatever that is). This was an expensive process but luckily was under warranty. Since then no vibrations at all, problem fixed.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Defective torque converters can cause shudder during partial lockup or full lockup and low speeds with a slightly larger throttle position. There tends to be a sweet spot where the clutch will shudder, and at any other throttle position will lockup normally, or slip completely.

This problem is common on a lot of vehicles, not just this CR-V. It tends to be more prominent on vehicles that drive at speeds around 35-50mph in bursts (IE stop and go fast traffic). If the problem worsens over time, a torque converter clutch slip code will result. Although I must say, this code is more dependent on what the PCM/TCM thinks a "slippage" really is.