Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

HELP!Can't remove key from ignition 2003 Acc

Old 10-16-2011, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!Can't remove key from ignition 2003 Acc

2003 Honda Accord EX Automatic 4 cyl.

It started with not being able get automatic shift out of park. Did the shift lock release procedure. Got home and turned off car BUT can't get key into the Off position to remove it. It moves nicely between Acc, On and Start but will not go to the off position to remove.

Long story short, I disconnected battery (both terminals) the key will go to off position for easy removal.

I did this a second time (because the first time I did it I thought it was fixed) and it did it again. When I first thought it was fixed, I started it, put it in gear, backed up, went forward and put it in park. Again I turned it off, but the key would not go to to the lock position to remove. Disconnected battery and it easily went to Off position for easy key removal.

Any suggestions on a fix (other than disconnecting battery every time I stop & start)?

Your help is much appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP! Can't remove key from ignition 2003 Acc

In the last 12 hrs I have disconnected battery to get the key out. I connect battery, it starts, goes in and out of gear easily, but the Key will not go to lock position to remove unless I disconnect battery.

Anyone?
Old 10-17-2011, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP!Can't remove key from ignition 2003 Acc

the shifter rod could be bent... making the button stick.
try pressing your brake after you put it in park, then try and take the key.... lmk if this works
Old 10-17-2011, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DELshaneSOL
the shifter rod could be bent... making the button stick.
try pressing your brake after you put it in park, then try and take the key.... lmk if this works
No, didn't work.

Again, once the battery is disconnected the key comes out like the day I bought it new in 2003. And once I start it again I can drive all day putting it in and out of gear. It's just when I try to turn it off, the key won't come out.

A friend believes it's in the anti-theft system. Is that a possibility?

Thanks again.

Last edited by Jeff247; 10-17-2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

there has to be a circuit thats still on maybe one of the wires in the ignition is messed up.
try to look inside there
Old 10-22-2011, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP! Can't remove key...Problem SOLVED!!!!

Is there an ignition key removal procedure? Other cars have them. There's a "shifter release procedure" for my Honda.

Anything?

Review:

Key will not turn to off position.

Only way I can get it out now is turn car off and disconnect battery. Key comes right out.

Last edited by Jeff247; 10-22-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

put the car in park with some "force"
Old 10-22-2011, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP! Can't remove key...Problem SOLVED!!!!

Originally Posted by Jeff247
Is there an ignition key removal procedure? Other cars have them. There's a "shifter release procedure" for my Honda.

Anything?

Review:

Key will not turn to off position.

Only way I can get it out now is turn car off and disconnect battery. Key comes right out.
The problem was the plunger not fully returning after pushing the shifter button. I read this on another forum:

"Make sure the shift **** isn't slightly depressed because if it is, it will not allow you to remove the key. There is a little white plunger there and if its slightly depressed, your key will not come out."

Example: Normally, If I start my car and push in the shifter button slightly I will not be able to turn the key to the OFF position. Let the button go and the key comes out. That was my problem. It must have been slightly "stuck" and would not fully release so that I could turn the key to the OFF position and remove it.

I can't really say how I fixed it. I took the shifter **** off and worked the moving parts and must have freed it up.

That's my story and I am sticking to it!!

Thanks to everybody for your suggestions.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good to hear
Old 09-05-2016, 10:02 AM
Trial User

I had the same problem with my 2003 Odyssey. Key would not go back to "0" position, so could not be removed. No problem starting car.

I removed the bottom half of the steering wheel cover (three screws in bottom of cover, easy to find, then the top and bottom halves just snap apart easily). I then removed a clear-ish, white-ish plastic cover (sorry, forgot to take a photo of that) from underneath the steering wheel column (my head on the floor near the brake pedal to see it well) and found that there was a sliver piston-looking piece that needed to be held out of the small brass box it was sticking into in order for the key to go back to position "0". (See image.) When I held it out of the brass box with my finger, the key would come out without issue. The reason my piston wasn't being held out was that the torsion spring that holds it out had come loose. I unscrewed one screw on the brass box, lowered the box to gain access to the torsion spring, put the two arms of the spring back in position, and screwed the brass box back into position. Replaced the clear-ish, white-ish plastic cover (just snaps on), and replaced the steering wheel cover. Hope this helps.

Photo taken from below steering column with head near brake pedal. Click to enlarge.

Last edited by jaytmoody; 09-05-2016 at 10:05 AM. Reason: added photo