See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Spark plug hole full of oil!! Help

Old 06-18-2011, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug hole full of oil!! Help

So I recently changes the valve cover gasket and the o-rings. I even took the rocker off to get to those hard to get ones. I was putting on new spark plug wires when i noticed the second plug hole was full of oil!! what could be the problem?? all the other spark plug holes are clean and there was no oil. help
Old 06-18-2011, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Spark plug hole full of oil!! Help

What engine do you have in your Accord?? F22B1 or F22B2?

If it's a F22B2, your bottom spark plug o-rings are shot which you will need to remove the rocker arm assembly to get to the bottom o-rings. They're the reason why there's oil inside your spark plug tubes. Also replace the upper o-rings under the valve cover too while you're at it. This is a very common problem with these F22B2 engines.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 64 Likes on 62 Posts

Yes, I had changed the upper o-rings and thought I solved the problem , but within a few weeks the plug hole was full of oil..
It turned out to be the lower o-rings..
The oil actually managed to foul my NGK iridium plugs making them useless... Leaking all may have also had a hand in killing my distributor, so deal with it ASAP
Old 10-14-2011, 04:54 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Hi, I also have this exact same problem. Let me tell you about it. I have a completely new head put on my 1991 Honda Accord LX AT but I keep on finding oil in the spark plug wells. One of the wells literally fills up with oil and all 4 of them have oil in them. I took it to the shop and they did a valve cover gasket replacement for the upper seals of the spark plug tubes and for the vavse cover itself. After this was done, I still had oil coming in my tubes the same as before!

I learned online that there are 4 additional lower o-rings gaskets for the rocker arm that needed to be replaced in order to stop this leak, the only problem is is that I have a brand new head on the motor, and so the o-ring gaskets should be brand new and working!

My brother (who is a car fanatic) tells my that it must be another problem (because the seals on the head assembly are brand new and should be working fine).
He said it was the piston rings that went bad or something like that (I don't remember exactly).
But my point of saying all of this is this: Is it really true that it is NOT the lower rocker arm o-rings that are the cause of this leak of oil into the spark plug tube wells? Please let me know. My head is new (it has 20,000 miles on it) and so that is why my brother thinks that it is NOT the o-rings because they are new.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This helped me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYU8qtPzQOY
I changed my own per exactly what's in the video except don't follow his torque recomendations, he's wrong. Look them up first. Now no more oil in my plug wells. Cheap fix with a little bit of work. Mine were brittle and broke as I was taking them out. If I had thought about it at the time I would have also done my valve seals while I was there. I didn't realize how do-able those were with the right tools. As far as having a new head and still oil in the wells, I could imagine someone being lazy and leaving the old o-rings in the cam rack figuring they weren't that critical or tried to use silicone instead of getting the right seals. JMO though.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nicolaselias
Yes, I had changed the upper o-rings and thought I solved the problem , but within a few weeks the plug hole was full of oil..
It turned out to be the lower o-rings..
The oil actually managed to foul my NGK iridium plugs making them useless... Leaking all may have also had a hand in killing my distributor, so deal with it ASAP
good to know man im having issues with my 96 f22b2 distributor went out and turned out to be the cyp ckp which ever one it is but the little black box deep in the distributor is there any one out there who sells just that part? i dont have $300 for a new one from honda
Old 10-14-2011, 11:59 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can get distributors from reputable sellers on ebay for 100 bucks.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:17 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I don't mean to hijack this thread but can someone please answer my question?
Old 10-15-2011, 12:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mishako129
my guess is a bad install by mechanic....make sure you use OEM gaskets and the job is torqued down correctly and in the correct sequence. YES IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE. if it was your piston rings, it would have burned up in the combustion chamber.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:10 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by TOO MUCH TORQUE
my guess is a bad install by mechanic....make sure you use OEM gaskets and the job is torqued down correctly and in the correct sequence. YES IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE. if it was your piston rings, it would have burned up in the combustion chamber.
Did you read that I had the entire head replaced and I ordered it brand new from California? You think when they built / rebuilt the head they put the lower spark plug o-ring gaskets on wrong?

...I just want to know if my problem REALLY IS the lower o-rings and not something else, because my brother thinks that it is something else, because the gaskets should be new because the entire head is new (as I said earlier).

Thank you.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
You can get distributors from reputable sellers on ebay for 100 bucks.
are they trustable? i have had bad luck with ebay parts for a toyota 22r
Old 10-16-2011, 02:58 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mishako129
Just because you get a new head doesn't mean they're going to come with the lower tube seals. Secondly, did you watch that video ?

Lastly, a new head normaly would NOT include the rocker arm assembly. This doesn't even assume it's truly a new head and not a rebuilt one.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay so it wasnt the lower seals. . it was a bad gasket job. after scraping all the old nasty gasket off and installing a new one the leak stopped )) now the axels broken. weeee haha. make sure everythings tourqued down right because if its too tight or too loose it can leak
Old 10-17-2011, 01:07 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
Just because you get a new head doesn't mean they're going to come with the lower tube seals. Secondly, did you watch that video ?

Lastly, a new head normaly would NOT include the rocker arm assembly. This doesn't even assume it's truly a new head and not a rebuilt one.
This is what I bought and put on the motor: http://www.japanengine.com/products/...e=%200&pID=180

It does indeed come with the rocker assembly, thus it must have new gaskets.

UPDATE: I talked to a mechanic and he said that its likely that the valve cover gaskets were what is causing the leak. So I'm not going to mess with the lower seals then.

Thanks for your advice.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:49 AM
Trial User

Hey I have a 1990 Honda Accord and im also having oil leaking on my spark plugs can someone please help me. My #3 and #4 spark plug wires are full of oil and i changed the valve cover gasket twice and all of the seals and o-rings. I NEED HELP SOMEONE.........
Old 12-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought my car with 85k miles, with one plug leaking. I now have 235k miles and now all 4 are leaking. I was of the philosophy before that if it made it thus far with the spark plug oil leak, it probably does not affect much in terms of reliability.

How easy of a job is this? I am extremely mechanically inclined, however, I have never removed rocker arm assembly. I am scared to do this and mess something up. I have done EVERYTHING to my car,except changing the timing belt.

I watched the video and it seems doable, however I am uncertain if I should just leave well-enough alone and not worry about it and potentially mess up my valves/rocker arm or something when putting it back together.

I intend to keep this car for a long time.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would do it. I had the same problem earlier this year and finally decided to pull the rocker arms. It was not too bad just make sure that you use the proper torque specs when you reinstall it. It is much, much easier than a timing belt job.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just replaced my upper spark plug tube seals along with the VC gasket thinking that would stop the oil leak in the tubes; I didn't know there was another set of seals in there. The Haynes manual advises you to remove the timing belt to remove the Rocker Arm assy; I don't know why. After watching the Eric the Car Guy video I see that the job doesn't look too bad and he didn't touch the timing belt. Might have to add this to the list of things to do over the holidays.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There is a possibility that your cam will pop up when you pull the rockers. It didn't on mine, and if your worried just have a buddy hold down the end near the dizzy when you take out the rockers. I wouldn't take off the timing belt.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's a good video. I've done this twice, on an Accord and a Civic, and the cam didn't move either time, but be careful anyway.

And when you're putting the rocker arm assembly back on, go slowly. You don't want to bend a valve.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What gaskets are needed for this job? Can you buy just the bottom O-rings or do they come in a kit?
Old 12-20-2011, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 66 Posts

You need the valve cover gasket, the upper tube seals, vc stud washer gaskets and lower o-rings. A gasket kit would be the best option if you are planning on doing the entire job. It should come with all of the gaskets required.

You can order the lower o-rings separately from the dealership, Honda part number 91301-PT0-003
Old 12-20-2011, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The lower spark plug tube O-rings did not come with the VC gasket kit that I purchased for my 97 Accord. The kit only comes with the VC gasket, upper tube seals and the washers.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 66 Posts

Yeah sorry about that. It was the engine kit that came with all of the valve cover and rocker assembly stuff....
Old 12-02-2012, 03:30 PM
Trial User

Icon2 Re: Spark plug hole full of oil!! Help

Originally Posted by honda_boy225
Hey I have a 1990 Honda Accord and im also having oil leaking on my spark plugs can someone please help me. My #3 and #4 spark plug wires are full of oil and i changed the valve cover gasket twice and all of the seals and o-rings. I NEED HELP SOMEONE.........
i have the same problems , and i replaced al of what you said .. you ever find out what the problem could be ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spark plug hole full of oil!! Help