Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

How to change brake and clutch fluid in a 94-01 Integra

Old 09-28-2003, 04:12 PM
MikeTV

Default HOW TO CHANGE BRAKE / CLUTCH / ABS FLUID ON 94-)! INTEGRA

Ok well I just finished doing this and it was pretty easy. I noticed that alot of you guys ask questions about this, and there are alot of myths about what you have to do and what you dont have to do, so here you go. Just as a pretext, you can use whatever brake fluid you have to flush ABS, and clutch systems also. I used ATE Super Blue, which can be purchased at any Speed/Import shop. One large bottle will be enough to complete your car.

<U>Brake Fluid</U> :

1. Invite a friend over, because I really dont see how you can accomplish this with one pair of hands.

2.Make sure the car is on a flat surface, and have the new brake fluid in hand ( I chose ATE Super Blue; one large bottle will be enough to do the brakes, ABS, and clutch.

3. Follow this process for each wheel, going from RR (right rear) to LR to RF to LF:

a. Remove your wheel, so you can access the brake bleed nut (it will be covered by a small rubber cap right next to the caliper.
b. Open the hood of your car, and open the brake fluid reservoir ( the bigger of the 2 "bottle" containers towards the rear of the engine on the drivers side).
c. remove the rubber cap from the brake bleed nut, and unscrew the nut slighty (if you haven't had this done before, you might need a wrench to get it loose).
d. Have you buddy sit in the drivers seat, and press the brake pedal, and brake liquid will squirt out of the bleed nut. IMPORTANT: before your buddy lets go of the brake pedal, make sure you screw the nut tight again, so no air gets into the line.
e. Repeat step d. 3 times, and then go back around to the engine bay, and you will notice that the brake fluid level in the reservoir is much lower than before. top it off with the new brake fluid and then go back to the wheel and repeat step d. again.
f. you will have to keep repeating the above mentioned steps d. and e. until the liquid that shoots out of the bleed nut is blue, instead of the old brown fluid, and all of the liquid in the clutch reservoir is the new liquid. NOTE: While you are watching the fluid in the brake reservoir get lower, make sure that you keep topping it off with the new fluid, and never let the reservoir fluid level drop too low, or else you will get air in the brake lines.
g. When you notice that the brake fluid that squirts out of the bleed nut is blue, then you have completed that brake. Pu t the wheel back on, and then move to the lfet rear wheel then front right wheel, then frot left wheel, repeating the same process.

<U>ABS equipped Integras</U>

This system is seperate from the regular brake system, so you will have to replace the fluid in this reservoir as well. Luckily, you will not need to remove any wheels for this one.

1. Open the hood of the car, and locate the ABS reservoir (if you are standing in front of the car, it will be the rectangular, flat clear container to the left of the engine, towards the front of the car).

2. The ABS fluid bleed valve is located right behind the ABS reservoir, sticking straight up. Open the reservoir by removing the plastic cap, and loosen the ABS bleed valve. Have your buddy turn the car on in order to activate the the pump, and you will see the ABS fluid shoot straight up out of the bleed valve. In order to stop the fluid from shooting all over the place, your best bet is to attach a rubber hose to the bleed valve and put the other end of the hose into a bottle of some sort.

3. Keep the engine running until you notice that the ABS reservoir is almost empty. Turn the car off, and refill the reservoir with new brake fluid.

4. repeat step 2. until the fluid shooting out of the bleed reservoir is blue.

5. Done !

<U>Clutch Fluid</U>

1. Open the hood of your car, and locate the clutch fluid reservoir (right next to the brake fluid reservoir, the smaller of the two fluid containers to the rear of the engine.

2. Locate the clutch fluid bleed valve, by standing in front of the car and looking down behind the radiator. You will notice a bleed valve very similiar to the brake bleed valve jutting out of the transmission case, to the left rear of the radiator.

3. Drape an old used shirt or towel behind the radiator, as the clutch fluid will come shooting out of the valve in upcoming steps.

4. Loosen the clutch bleed nut, and have your buddy press the clutch all the way to the floor. After the clutch fluid squirts out, make sure you close the clutch bleed valve before your buddy releases the clutch.

5. Repeat step 4 two more times, and then check the clutch reservoir fluid level, keep topping it off with ATE Super Blue every time it goes low from pumping the pedal, until all of the old fluid is replaced with the new fluid, similiar to the way you kept topping off the brake fluid reservoir. During the entire process, make sure that you never let the clutch reservoir get too low, or else air will get into the system.

6. Keep repeating step 4 and step 5 until the fluid that squirts out is blue. At this point, close the clutch bleed valve, make sure the clutch reservoir is topped off.

7. Press the clutch pedal while the valve is closed, and you should feel it pop right back up by itself. If it doesn't come all the way back up, it is still ok. Turn the car on, and take it for a spin. Test your brake and clutch pedals, and you should be all set !

<U>ATE Super Blue review</U>

After replacing my old fluid with ATE Super Blue, The clutch and brake pedals feel much more firm. The main difference is in the clutch pedal, where engagement is definetely much more smooth. There is not much more to say other then ........

ATE= Good **** !

Modified by Eclipse spanker at 3:01 PM 9/29/2003
The following users liked this post:
Old 09-29-2003, 03:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: How to change Brake / Clutch / ABS fluid on a 94-01 Integra (Eclipse spanker)

The Helm manual for my '95 says the bleeding order is RR-LF-LR-RF.

How about putting a hose on the bleeder screw, dropping the hose into a little jar. Then it doesn't squirt out & make a mess. Plus, that makes it easier to see whether there's any air bubbles coming out with the fluid.

Many people say you shouldn't stroke your brake pedal all the way down. The last half or last third of the pedal stroke never gets used, so that part of the master cylinder might have crud or corrosion, or maybe it's simply not polished smooth from use. Put a block of wood under the pedal so you can't press it much more than 1/2 way. Maybe this only matters for brakes that haven't been bled for years.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:52 AM
MikeTV

Default Re: How to change Brake / Clutch / ABS fluid on a 94-01 Integra (JimBlake)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JimBlake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The Helm manual for my '95 says the bleeding order is RR-LF-LR-RF.

How about putting a hose on the bleeder screw, dropping the hose into a little jar. Then it doesn't squirt out & make a mess. Plus, that makes it easier to see whether there's any air bubbles coming out with the fluid.

Many people say you shouldn't stroke your brake pedal all the way down. The last half or last third of the pedal stroke never gets used, so that part of the master cylinder might have crud or corrosion, or maybe it's simply not polished smooth from use. Put a block of wood under the pedal so you can't press it much more than 1/2 way. Maybe this only matters for brakes that haven't been bled for years.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes....I haven't heard of that before but it sounds like it makes sense......I know my master cylinder is on it's last legs anyway.........
Old 09-29-2003, 06:30 AM
MikeTV

Default Re: How to change Brake / Clutch / ABS fluid on a 94-01 Integra (Eclipse spanker)

oh yeah you can find the tubing for the bleed valves at pepboys or any local carshop......
Old 03-31-2004, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: HOW TO CHANGE BRAKE / CLUTCH / ABS FLUID ON 94-)! INTEGRA (Eclipse spanker)

Do you find it engages sooner?
Old 03-31-2004, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How to change Brake / Clutch / ABS fluid on a 94-01 Integra (JimBlake)

yeah i busted a really old mc because i pressed it in all the way when bleeding. only press the pedal the distance of normal brake pedal travel!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JimBlake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 03-31-2004, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Re: HOW TO CHANGE BRAKE / CLUTCH / ABS FLUID ON 94-)! INTEGRA (Eclipse spanker)

The correct sequence for the brakes is left front, right rear, right front, and left rear (a criss-crossing pattern).
Old 03-31-2004, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: HOW TO CHANGE BRAKE / CLUTCH / ABS FLUID ON 94-)! INTEGRA (PatrickGSR94)

Ummm... no. The correct pattern depends on which car you're talking about. And I bet Integras bleeding order changed when they went to the small ABS system without its own bleeder ('98??).

In the old days (before ABS) you could pretty much start with RR (farthest away) then LF (same circuit) then LR & RF. With ABS it depends on which circuit is more likely to push bubbles into which other circuit. That's the part that makes it different, because the ABS plumbing in a '95 integra is different than a '01 integra, different than a '98 Accord, etc.

According to factory manuals...
'95 Integra; RR - LF - LR - RF - then ABS
'98 Accord; LF - RF - RR - LR (ABS doesn't have a separate bleeder)
'01 Saab; LF - RR - RF - RR (also no separate ABS bleeder)

Besides all that, if you do them in the wrong order, I think the only problem is you might have to go around a few times thru the sequence before you get all the bubbles.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Re: HOW TO CHANGE BRAKE / CLUTCH / ABS FLUID ON 94-)! INTEGRA (JimBlake)

oops my bad, my 94 manual does say right rear first, then left front, then left rear and finally right front... still a criss-cross pattern.

I did in fact do it this way when I changed my brake fluid a few weeks ago.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW TO CHANGE BRAKE / CLUTCH / ABS FLUID ON 94-)! INTEGRA (PatrickGSR94)

bump for people
Old 06-14-2007, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW TO CHANGE BRAKE / CLUTCH / ABS FLUID ON 94-)! INTEGRA (dc2long)

how much fluid would you need to buy if you were changing the clutch fluid?
Old 06-14-2007, 09:02 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dc2long &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how much fluid would you need to buy if you were changing the clutch fluid?</TD></TR></TABLE>

im pretty sure 1 quart is sufficient.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW TO CHANGE BRAKE / CLUTCH / ABS FLUID ON 94-)! INTEGRA (numbnuts22715)

cant seem to find ATE at kragens or autozone. anyone got any other suggestions or recommend any other brand?
are brake and clutch fluid the same?
dot 3 for integras am i correct?
Old 06-14-2007, 09:37 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dc2long &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cant seem to find ATE at kragens or autozone. anyone got any other suggestions or recommend any other brand?
are brake and clutch fluid the same?
dot 3 for integras am i correct?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, brake fluid and clutch fluid are the same.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:23 PM

Default Re: HOW TO CHANGE BRAKE / CLUTCH / ABS FLUID ON 94-)! INTEGRA (MikeTV)

wow this is a long hard diy
Old 06-19-2007, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW TO CHANGE BRAKE / CLUTCH / ABS FLUID ON 94-)! INTEGRA (98GSRDC2)

can anyone recommend any brands of clutch fluid?
Old 06-20-2007, 12:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

valvoline synthetic?
Old 09-23-2011, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to change brake and clutch fluid in a 94-01 Integra

ok so this thread is super old and a very good DIY, perfectly good thread for questions..my brake fluid is 100% BLACK. I'm going to do this DIY with a friend soon.

Questions

1) Can i use DOT4? I have no ABS

2) Which brake fluid do you guys use that can be purchased at autozone..that's the store i buy all my stuff for maintenance. Thanks!
Old 09-24-2011, 09:48 AM
HT Black OPs

Default Re: How to change brake and clutch fluid in a 94-01 Integra

ATE or Motul, i wouldnt skimp on fluid just b/c i want to make a 1 stop shop.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW TO CHANGE BRAKE / CLUTCH / ABS FLUID ON 94-)! INTEGRA (98GSRDC2)

Originally Posted by dc2long
can anyone recommend any brands of clutch fluid?
Honda