Notices

Honda-Tech Breather Box/Catch can/breather box thread.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Honda-Tech Breather Box/Catch can/breather box thread.

Hey guys.
I have been trying to find a thread about breather boxes or catch cans to see how people build them since i am having a friend build me one with ~1gallon capacity that i came up with. It will have 4 10AN inlets (2 from valve cover and 2 from the block) and 1 10AN drain with some hose running down to a butterfly valve so i can drain the catch can with out removing it. It will mount in the stock DC2 battery location. Be as big as the battery that fits in there and have two 2inch OD pipes welded on top so i can have two 2" breather filters. Setup is going on a turbo b20v setup so i want it to BREATHE. The thing that i am confused. Is should i have a baffle plate right on top inside the box were the 4 an lines will come in about half way into the box to just prevent the oil from being blown up into the filters. I hope i explained it correctly.
thanks

So lets get this going into an official catch can/breather box thread. I will PM a mod to change the name to "Official catch can/breather box, theory and discussion thread" thread.

Thanks to "Wheels 2" for some ideas.

If you post up a picture make sure to include the following. PLEASE keep this on topic.
-Dimensions of your box/can?
-How did you set up the baffle plates?
-How did you set up the baffle on your valve cover?
-Where they bought it from?
-What you used to make it?
-How much it cost?
-What size line/fittings you have?
-What vehicle its in?
-And how they have it fastened down?

I will start.

-Dimensions of your box/can?.............................................. Roughly the same size as a integra battery.
-How did you set up the baffle plates?..................................In the last picture you can see how we did it. The whole plate had holes drilled all over it.
-How did you set up the baffle on your valve cover?................Still have to do the valve cover. Once its done. Ill post up pictures.
-Where they bought it from?................Did not buy it. I designed it and my friend made it for me.
-What you used to make it? ............... Friend made it so no idea on the thickness of the aluminium used.
-How much it cost?
-What size line/fittings you have?............10an
-What vehicle its in?..............................97 Integra
-Where will it mount?.............................Right were the battery is.
-And how they have it fastened down? ....It sits nice and tight in the battery tray.

Last edited by igorka_91; 09-23-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Does honda-tech have a Catch can/breather box thread?

https://honda-tech.com/forums/welding-fabrication-53/vented-valve-cover-post-up-some-pics-1970101/
Old 09-17-2011, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Blown90hatcH
Ive seen this witch does not help me at all. I know how to do the fittings on the valve cover. We need to get an official catch can breather box thread going.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by igorka_91
Ive seen this witch does not help me at all. I know how to do the fittings on the valve cover. We need to get an official catch can breather box thread going.
Your not really specifying why you want a catch can thread or what you need help with.There is no real point in having one.People post there designs and how they set there catch cans up in the posted link.If you already know where to put the fittings and stuff,then what do you need help on?
Old 09-17-2011, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oops im a dumb-*** maybe i should have read your post one more time.lol
I wouldn't put the plate in the box,because then the your keeping the air from free flowing.If you do then the pressure/air has to go around the plate to get out the filter.I have mine really close to the filter holes and i have not problems with oil coming out the filters.However if you still want to do that just make the plate perforated to allow the air to get out but to stop big globs of oil.But im sure you wont have any problems with the oil unless your motor has a **** tone of blow by.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Wheels 2
Your not really specifying why you want a catch can thread or what you need help with.There is no real point in having one.People post there designs and how they set there catch cans up in the posted link.If you already know where to put the fittings and stuff,then what do you need help on?
It would be really good if we got an official catch can/breather box thread going. There is one already for the valve covers.

oops im a dumb-*** maybe i should have read your post one more time.lol
I wouldn't put the plate in the box,because then the your keeping the air from free flowing.If you do then the pressure/air has to go around the plate to get out the filter.I have mine really close to the filter holes and i have not problems with oil coming out the filters.However if you still want to do that just make the plate perforated to allow the air to get out but to stop big globs of oil.But im sure you wont have any problems with the oil unless your motor has a **** tone of blow by.
Its all good. I will have it perforated with a bunch of small holes then. Thats a good idea. did not think of that =D . I was going to have it half way true the box butt now ill have it all the way across with perforated holes like you said.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Catch can for my turbo b20v. ~1.2gallon capacity.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

heres mine i did awhile back i wanted to do something different
pics are from when i was mocking it up

Old 09-21-2011, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turbo-2nr
heres mine i did awhile back i wanted to do something different
pics are from when i was mocking it up

Thats is creative. How does the catch can breathe..like were does the filters go?
Old 09-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

right in the middle, you can see it jeez, I didn't even make it use your eyes
Old 09-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^lol yep

every thing is remote mounted all hoses and filters are Bluetooth to keep the bay clean
Old 09-21-2011, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Catch can for my turbo b20v. ~1.2gallon capacity.

DAMN that looks good.however i would drill a few more holes in the plate.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SR20S13
right in the middle, you can see it jeez, I didn't even make it use your eyes
=D good it. Butt i am still confused.

DAMN that looks good.however i would drill a few more holes in the plate.
The plate has holes drilled all over it. You just see a few holes true those 2 wholes.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The plate has holes drilled all over it. You just see a few holes true those 2 wholes.[/QUOTE]

oh.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

=D good it. Butt i am still confused.
about what, the part extruding in between the fittings is a flange for the filter
looking from the front, left to right -12,-12 filter flange -10,-10
Old 09-22-2011, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

People just leave these open to air?

Why not do a slash cut with a sealed canister and actually have a gain from this?
Old 09-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats what im going to do, slash cut to the exhaust with the line running from the top of the can to exhuast, and about half way down the can two ports running to valve cover vacuum owns "free flowing"
Old 09-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im just going to use a Jaz mini breather and fittings for back of the block.. but some nice cans up there.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That is exactly what im doing with my B20V build.

Custom can with 2 lines from the valve cover, one to the back of the block from the bottom of the can and one from the top with a slash cut. induce a vacuum on the can and profit power.

I shouldnt get too much oil vapour through the exhaust from baffling in the can.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lets get an official Catch can/ breather box thread going? So far this is turning out great.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pm a mod and get em to change the title to Official catch can/breather box thread.Or start a new thread with the name i suggested.Plus the only way i think people would actually post in the thread to where the thread wouldn't die is to have a list of FAQ's, with answers about the topic,for example:what size line should i go with?/how big should i make the can/box,and so on and so on.Make it a helpful type of thread.While still letting people post what they did and what they think seems to works best.However in the rules for the thread put that if you post a picture of your setup you must tell what size your box/can is,where they bought it from or what you used to make it,how much it cost,what size line you have,what vehicle its in,and how they have it fastened down.If you make it just like i suggested or maybe even better im sure people will post.Hell if you make it like i said or something close ill post in it.
But dont make it the official catch can thread and then say post your setups because thats pretty much what vented valve covers thread is.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HellaFab
That is exactly what im doing with my B20V build.

Custom can with 2 lines from the valve cover, one to the back of the block from the bottom of the can and one from the top with a slash cut. induce a vacuum on the can and profit power.

I shouldnt get too much oil vapour through the exhaust from baffling in the can.
What if by any chance you do get oil that blows true the exhaust and on to the track surface and the next person hits it and spins out? Butt i guess if you baffle it properly. More powah for you

Pm a mod and get em to change the title to Official catch can/breather box thread.Or start a new thread with the name i suggested.Plus the only way i think people would actually post in the thread to where the thread wouldn't die is to have a list of FAQ's, with answers about the topic,for example:what size line should i go with?/how big should i make the can/box,and so on and so on.Make it a helpful type of thread.While still letting people post what they did and what they think seems to works best.However in the rules for the thread put that if you post a picture of your setup you must tell what size your box/can is,where they bought it from or what you used to make it,how much it cost,what size line you have,what vehicle its in,and how they have it fastened down.If you make it just like i suggested or maybe even better im sure people will post.Hell if you make it like i said or something close ill post in it.
But dont make it the official catch can thread and then say post your setups because thats pretty much what vented valve covers thread is.
Look up top. What do you think?
Old 09-23-2011, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You arent going to be able to suck oil from a properly vented valve cover/block port, through all of the hose into a catch can with baffles, up through all of that and then down to the exhaust.

If you happen to do all of that, it will be burnt off by the exhaust and mystical unicorns will emit from your exhaust.

It will be the same as the little filter you put on top. It doesnt see any oil and with proper size/design you wont see any once it goes into a vaccum too.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Next time you have a cola put your hand over the cup and suck the straw to induce a vaccum. but dont have the straw in the fluid. see if you can get any cola out.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There is like 3 threads on this **** already. Why do you insist on trying to create another one?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Honda-Tech Breather Box/Catch can/breather box thread.