Notices

Very high idle and no vacuum leak???

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 04:43 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very high idle and no vacuum leak???

I have a turbo gsr and When i start the car in the morning it idles at 2k and stays up after it reaches operating temperature, i adjusted my tps and even replaced it, still same problem., i even turned down the idle screw on the throlle body...idk what it culd be.. no check engine light and the car is runing on apexi vafc-2, does anyone kno what this problem could be? (my vaccum guage reads 20, so i kno thers no vacuum leak.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Very high idle and no vacuum leak???

let the car come up to operating temp. then unplug ur iacv. the rpm should drop lower than 500rpm or even die. if it doesnt drop that far u hav air gettin in some how. possible vacuum leak, misadjusted throttle body or throttle plate, stuck open or faulty fast idle valve. check those nd get back to us
Old 08-26-2011, 06:42 AM

You either have a vac leak or your fast idle (not your electronic iac) needs adjusting. First go buy a can of brake cleaner or starting fluid and put the straw in it. Start your car and spray around all vac ports, injector base seals and by the throttle body gasket and intake manifold gasket. If the engine rpm ever changes when you spray, then you've found your leak. If not then pinch your Pcv hose and idle rpm should drop 100 rpm, if it drops more, replace the pcv valve. If neither of those raise any red flags then it's your fast idle valve. It's underneath your throttle body and the plate you need to remove faces the firewall. Take the two 8mm fasteners out and youll see a large white plug with a slit in it. Using a stubby flat head screwdriver, thread that white plug in until it's tight. Reinstall the plate and that should fix it. You may have to readjust your idle screw by bringing it back out. Hope that helps.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:43 AM

Also make sure there are no tears or other leaks in any vac lines
Old 08-26-2011, 08:02 AM
Trial User

Ook, I will try those things after work, and also yesterday I tryed a b18b throlle body and the car idled fine, but I couldn't keep the throlle body on there because the gsr butterfly is upside down
Old 08-26-2011, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

then it most likely isnt ur iacv. that leaves fast idle valve or misadjusted or stickin open throttle plate. or maybe even a throttle body gasket if it wasnt installed correctly
Old 09-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Trial User

i was wrong...i decided to replace my throlle body with a type r and the car still idles high,...so i unplugged the iacv and the idle stayed high... but my car is reading good vaccum so i dont suspect a leak
Old 09-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hondas need very little extra air to idle high. VERY little. I've never had luck finding them with any type of spray. Usually it's a $5 IM gasket, IACV, FITV, or a cracked/misrouted hose.

Take off your intake tube, plug the lower port with your finger. If it drops down, your FITV is stuck open. If not, pinch shut the PCV valve's tube. Next try each individual vac line leading off the IM, with the FPR being last. If it still doens't drop down, cover the entire TB with your hand. If doesn't die, you have a vac leak after the throttle body.

Once you find it, let it warm up, disconnect the IACV, set the idle screw to a 400rpm idle, turn off, connect the IACV, reset the ecu. Done.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stock95coupe
Hondas need very little extra air to idle high. VERY little. I've never had luck finding them with any type of spray. Usually it's a $5 IM gasket, IACV, FITV, or a cracked/misrouted hose.

Take off your intake tube, plug the lower port with your finger. If it drops down, your FITV is stuck open. If not, pinch shut the PCV valve's tube. Next try each individual vac line leading off the IM, with the FPR being last. If it still doens't drop down, cover the entire TB with your hand. If doesn't die, you have a vac leak after the throttle body.

Once you find it, let it warm up, disconnect the IACV, set the idle screw to a 400rpm idle, turn off, connect the IACV, reset the ecu. Done.

OOk thanks...idk why i didnt think of this,, i will run this process tomoro...thank you