Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Extreme RPM issue jumping when accelerating must creep to speed up

Old 08-30-2011, 09:35 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extreme RPM issue jumping when accelerating must creep to speed up

Honda Accord 94' EX Vtec (auto)

Ok i'm believing this problem started back when my lower high pressure hose for tranny fluid ripped and my car stopped completely because there was no more fluid. I replaced to the hose and refilled my fluid and the car worked fine. When i was driving it the other day it started to slip a little bit like it did when the tanny fluid was low so i topped it off and i'm thinking i over filled it because i can see it at the top of the hole to check it. The problem is that when i start moving it runs fine till about 10 mph then the car starts to coast and the rpms will shoot up to about 3-4k to start moving again you have to let the rpms go all the way down and slowly and i mean slowly accelerate its to much to drive cause on roads with 50mph limits i have trouble at red lights and stops.

Another thing is when i'm moving and i get to about 50 mph the rpms will shoot up and i have to come completely off the pedal to get moving again, also when i release the pedal to coast you can feel the car moving foward and back real softly like you were tapping the brakes. Maybe its my 2nd and 3rd gear?

Any help will be great i'm clueless at this point...
Old 08-30-2011, 09:45 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Extreme RPM issue jumping when accelerating must creep to speed up

Sounds like you have a (put bluntly) a really ****ed transmission. Running without any fluid definitely did not help things - if you used anything other than Honda ATF that is going to hurt it as well (the normal Dexron stuff from Autozone is a big no no).

I'd suggest draining whatever fluid you have and do a drain/refill a few times to get out whatever you put in (I'm guessing generic stuff) and try it with actual Honda ATF.

If you did use Honda ATF I'd say it may be cheaper just to source another 94/95 automatic transmission in good shape and swap it in.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:31 AM
Trial User

Would the tanny fluid type really mess with it like that? Cause the way it feels is that it kicks into neutral while driving and you have to bring the rpms down to start moving backin gear.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:45 AM
He knows where you live!

Potentially could be causing issues with your transmission coupled with the fact it ran completely dry. I'm guessing based on that post you picked up some Mercon or Dexron stuff from Autozone?
Old 08-30-2011, 12:05 PM
Trial User

Yeah it was dexron...
Old 08-30-2011, 12:14 PM
He knows where you live!

I'd swing back by and see if they at least have ATF-Z1, if they do use that instead.

You are definitely not helping the situation by having the wrong fluid in there, would I go so far as to say it is the only issue? No, having the fluid leak out completely probably junked it up a bit but the fluid will at least give you a better idea of what's wrong. You probably want to buy enough to do at least one additional flush (some of the fluid is retained when you drain it). Make sure you do it on a level surface when you check the fluid level as well. IIRC it was 2.5 or 3 qt.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Trial User

So i gave up and brought it to a tech and they tell me the clutch plates in the tranny have worn and i guess separated some, causing low pressure.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jgraham7
So i gave up and brought it to a tech and they tell me the clutch plates in the tranny have worn and i guess separated some, causing low pressure.
Running the tranny dry of fluid has pooched it. Nothing you do now is going to fix it besides a new or rebuilt trans.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Steve Z
Running the tranny dry of fluid has pooched it. Nothing you do now is going to fix it besides a new or rebuilt trans.
One other option is to get a used one. Some of the shops may have a source for reliable used transmissions with some sort of warranty.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:09 AM
Trial User

I have the car in a shop now they are going to use a master rebuild kit and the total came to a little less than 1700$. The new tranny price was just under 3,000 including labor so i went with the rebuild instead of a new one.

Thank you everyone for your help i will be useing this forums more when i can.