Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

DIY for water pump and timing belt?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon2 DIY for water pump and timing belt?

I'll be attempting the water pump and timing belt on a 2003 accord v6 sedan auto and was wondering if there are any helpful instructions anywhere? can't seem to find any. the water pump is making a grinding\marbles-in-a-can rattling noise, so i believe it's about to go. thanks in advance
Old 08-04-2011, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY for water pump and timing belt?

Hey Cobra351,

You ask and you shall receive good sir

--Timing Belt Replacement procedure--

**Removing the Timing Belt**
1. Note the radio security code and the radio presets. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Turn the crankshaft so that its white mark lines up with the pointer. Check to insure that number one piston is at TDC. Be sure that the mark on the front camshaft pulley and the pointer on the front upper cover are aligned.

3. Raise and support the vehicle safely. Remove the front tires. Remove the splash shield.

4. Remove the drive belt. Remove the drive belt auto tensioner.

5. Properly support the engine using a block of wood under the oil pan.

6. Remove the ground cable. Remove the side engine mount bracket.

7. Remove the front upper cover. Remove the rear upper cover.

8. Remove the crankshaft pulley. Remove the lower cover.

9. Using the proper size bolt, screw it into the timing belt adjuster. Tighten by hand, do not use a wrench.

10. Remove the engine mount bracket.

11. Remove the idler pulley bolt and idler pulley. Remove the timing belt.

**To install**
12. Set the timing belt drive pulley to TDC by aligning the TDC mark on the tooth of the timing belt drive pulley with the pointer on the oil pump.

13. Set the camshaft pulleys to TDC by aligning the TDC marks on the camshaft pulleys with the pointers on the back covers.

14. Remove the auto tensioner. Align the holes on the rod and housing of the tensioner.

15. Using a hydraulic press to slowly compress the auto tensioner, insert a 0.08 inch pin through the housing and the rod.

16. Install the auto tensioner. Be sure that the pin stays in place.
By hand, screw down on the timing belt adjuster bolt to hold the timing belt adjuster.

17. Install the timing belt in a counterclockwise sequence starting with the drive pulley.

18. Remove the pin from the auto tensioner. Remove the bolt from the timing belt adjuster.

19. Continue the installation in the reverse order of the removal procedure.

20. Reprogram the crankshaft position (CKP) pattern. Run the engine until the operating temperature reaches 176 degree. With the engine stopped clear the CKP pattern. Turn the ignition switch OFF. Turn the ignition switch ON and wait thirty seconds.

21. Road test the vehicle on a level surface. Decelerate the engine speed of 2500 rpm to 1000 rpm. If equipped with automatic transaxle use two Drive positions. If equipped with manual transaxle use first gear.

22. Stop the vehicle, but keep the engine running.

23. Check PULSAR F/B LEARN in the data list with the HDS. If not complete repeat the procedure. If complete, road test the vehicle on a level surface.
Decelerate the engine speed of 5000 rpm to 3000 rpm. If equipped with automatic transaxle use two Drive positions. If equipped with manual transaxle use first gear.

24. Stop the vehicle, but keep the engine running.

25. Check PULSAR F/B LEARN in the data list with the HDS. If not complete repeat the procedure.
If completed, turn the ignition switch OFF. Turn the ignition switch ON, wait thirty seconds. The learning procedure is now complete.

26. As required, reprogram the power window control unit as follows:

Turn the ignition switch ON. Lower the window, all the way down. Open the driver’s side door.
Turn the ignition switch OFF. Push and hold the drivers window DOWN switch. Turn the ignition switch ON. Release the driver’s window DOWN switch. This must be done within five seconds.
Repeat the above step three more times. Wait one second.
Confirm that the AUTO UP and AUTO DOWN do not work. If they work repeat the procedure, paying close attention to the five second time limit
Move the driver’s window all the way down by holding the drivers window DOWN switch to the AUTO DOWN position.
Pull up and hold the driver’s window UP switch to the AUTO UP position until the window reaches the fully closed position. Hold the switch for one second.
Confirm that the power window master switch has been reset by using the driver’s window AUTO UP and DOWN function.
If the AUTO UP and DOWN feature is still not working, repeat the complete procedure, paying close attention to the five second time limit.

27. Set the clock.

--Water Pump procedure--

1. Drain the cooling system.

2. Remove the timing belt (this should have been accomplished already in the first procedure so make sure that you change the pump BEFORE you install the new belt)

3. Remove the water pump retaining bolts. Remove the water pump from the engine.

4. Clean the water pump and O-ring mating surfaces before installation.

5. Install the water pump to the engine using a new O-ring. Install the timing belt.

6. Refill the radiator. Start the engine and check for leaks.

**Reference Materials= 2003 Accord Water Pump diagram

Phew! You should be golden, pony boy
Old 08-04-2011, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is the only one I've found with pictures. Not the best, but along with a shop manual, it should help out some. The how-to is on an Acura TL engine, but the engine is the same as the V6 Accord, as far as the timing belt is concerned. Here it is.
http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=695821
Old 08-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by techtalk

25. Check PULSAR F/B LEARN in the data list with the HDS. If not complete repeat the procedure.
:
You think the OP has an HDS?
Old 08-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks, gentlemen! i don't have an hds, but i presume that step was put there just for the techs. another question, is it recommended to have to use honda coolant, or can i just use prestone?
Old 08-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra351
thanks, gentlemen! i don't have an hds, but i presume that step was put there just for the techs. another question, is it recommended to have to use honda coolant, or can i just use prestone?
Use Honda coolant.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would also suggest a Helm shop manual (with V6 supplement). It has all the details, plus illustrations. I would certainly not attempt it, solely using what is posted here.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

need urgent help, please! removed both timing covers, now i'm stuck.

so i bought a service manual, and it says:

a few pages later;

and another few pages later;

this is what my front cam looks like, is the white mark circled in red what they're talking about, to align it with?

because the rear cam has 2 white marks, circled in red;

and how exactly would you rotate the timing belt to align the marks? by turning the bolt with a socket wrench on either cam?
Old 08-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you are supposed to turn the crankshaft. Re-install the pulley bolt, and use that. All this is supposed to be lined up before you take the covers, and crankshaft pulley off.
The following users liked this post:
Old 08-11-2011, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its really easy to do

Here what I used along with the manual

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=695821
Old 08-16-2011, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

crap, i turned the front crankshaft to try and line it up instead of turning the crank. i hope i didn't mess anything up. i doubt it, as the timing belt would turn the crank anyway, right?

also, turning the crank is gonna be tough, i imagine. just use a ratchet and turn it to line it up? thanks guys
Old 08-16-2011, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used an 1/2 with a impact 19mm and a cheater bar. It was easy.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I turned my engine a few times around with a 1/2" ratchet and two long extensions (to reach outside the fenderwell). I did this with the spark plugs in, so it wasn't exactly easy. I had taken the two top covers off, so I could inspect the timing belt, and it looked pretty good (at 85k miles and 8 years). I'll be changing it as soon as the weather cools down a bit. Right now, I'd be sweating on everything under the hood.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont forget to do valve adjustment. That is where all the money is. Get more hp and tq
Old 08-17-2011, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thisaznboi88
dont forget to do valve adjustment. That is where all the money is. Get more hp and tq
I suppose that's why they included valve cover gaskets with the timing belt kit. I'm still trying to decide what other parts I want to change. The kit only came with the belt, drive belt, and water pump. So I'm thinking about tensioner, pulleys, ect.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is what I replaced

timing belt
idler pulley
tensionor
water pump
crank seal
spark plugs
valve cover gasket
cam seals
spark plug seals
valve adjustment
serpent belt
serpent belt tensionor
air filter
oil
transmission oil

I did a lot more that was needed lol. Should have swap type S cams in while I was at it.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:30 PM
Trial User

I will be refering to this and the link from acurazine very soon. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

edit: nevermind.

can't seem to get the crankshaft pulley off. tried about everything; used a snap on impact gun(~400 ft-lbs torque), got the honda\acura crankshaft holding tool, it won't budge. and yes, i'm turning it left(counter-clock wise). any other ideas?

Last edited by Cobra351; 08-21-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you saying that you can't undo the crank bolt, or you can't pull the crank pulley off of the crankshaft?
Old 08-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by skippy344
Are you saying that you can't undo the crank bolt, or you can't pull the crank pulley off of the crankshaft?
can't undo the crank bolt. that sucker is on there tight. why the hell does honda tighten it so much?
The following users liked this post:
Old 08-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm, gotta go look at mine and see how we can break that sucka!
Old 08-22-2011, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Some people have used the starter, to loosen the crank pulley bolt. I've seen a couple youtube videos, and it worked like a charm. Just make sure the engine doesn't start (disconnect spark plugs). We have heavy machinery tools where I work, so I don't think the little crank bolt is going to be a problem for me.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BLKFLSH
Some people have used the starter, to loosen the crank pulley bolt. I've seen a couple youtube videos, and it worked like a charm. Just make sure the engine doesn't start (disconnect spark plugs). We have heavy machinery tools where I work, so I don't think the little crank bolt is going to be a problem for me.
like this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zybilegox1U

that looks like something i may try, just need a long extension. the concern with that is, won't that mess up the timing? and you do losen the crankshaft pulley bolt by turning it LEFT\counter clockwise, right?
Old 08-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, counterclockwise to loosen. The engine turns clockwise, so if you use the pulley holding tool and breaker-bar, to hold the pulley still, when you bump the starter it will turn the engine clockwise, and the bolt will loosen. It should not affect the timing, if the pulley holding tool works. In your video, the engine is facing the opposite direction (driver side), but it's the same principle.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:02 AM
Trial User

Any update on this? I just ordered my timing belt kit from http://www.handa-accessories.com/accmaint06.html and will pick up the tensioner from the local Honda dealership. I haven't had any concerns with doing this until I read your post about the bolt being stuck. Let me know if you have any success.

Quick Reply: DIY for water pump and timing belt?