Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

96 accord overheating issue

Old 07-31-2011, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 accord overheating issue

So my accord has been overheating if it sits too long or been running alot. the fan only comes on when the car is completely off. why is that? i was thinking of putting a switch to manually turn it on while driving.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: 96 accord overheating issue

You can hook up a manual switch, but there's two fan control switch; one located on top of the Thermostat housing while the other one's at the upper radiator water neck. I forgot which one does what.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I believe the one near the radiator is the switch for the motor and the one on the thermostat is the other switch that turns on when it reaches a certain temp. im not sure how to check that one. i believe hooking one up is easy positive wire run from battery to the fan motor and negative from battery to negative on fan motor. is that right?
Old 08-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

assume 4 cyl here....Thermo A (lower hose, t-stat housing), jump the wire connector with key on- do both fans run?

If so, once the switch gets to ~194*, it should "close" - Zero resistance - allowing ground to go to the relays.

Start there and let us know.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

4 cly yes. Both fans work, Only comes on when car is completely off. Looking more into just putting a manual switch
Old 08-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Trial User

I too have a 1996 honda accord lx and replaced the head gasket, water pump, Radiator, put in a honda thermostat, replace the sensor on the thermostat housing, one on the front of the radiator hose going to the engine, one below the distributor cap right on the block of the engine, check the relay box and the relay if good, check the fuse by the drivers site feet there is a box that was good, bled the system to make sure there is not hot air pockets. Not sure what else.
The AC fan comes on and is the one to the right hand sight as you look at the engine, replaced the cooling fan (left sight) it was coming on a lot prior to replacing the the thermostat sensor but not it does not come on at all.

Not sure what else i can do to keep the from warming up.
Any ideas?
Thank you.

Last edited by greekcypriot; 08-04-2011 at 08:26 PM. Reason: update
Old 08-06-2011, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 7azhar7
4 cly yes. Both fans work, Only comes on when car is completely off. Looking more into just putting a manual switch
So you jump the pins on the wire side of the connector to thermo a (lower hose, t-stat housing), key on and BOTH fans run? If so, I'd look into replacing thermo a.

Also, when the car is off...both fans run? Can't say that I've ever seen that one....has someone already done some creative wiring for you?
Old 08-06-2011, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by greekcypriot
I too have a 1996 honda accord lx and replaced the head gasket, water pump, Radiator, put in a honda thermostat, replace the sensor on the thermostat housing, one on the front of the radiator hose going to the engine, one below the distributor cap right on the block of the engine, check the relay box and the relay if good, check the fuse by the drivers site feet there is a box that was good, bled the system to make sure there is not hot air pockets. Not sure what else.
The AC fan comes on and is the one to the right hand sight as you look at the engine, replaced the cooling fan (left sight) it was coming on a lot prior to replacing the the thermostat sensor but not it does not come on at all.

Any ideas?
Thank you.
same for you- jump the wire side of the connector of thermo a (lower hose, t-stat)....key on....do the fans run?

Also the fuse for the fans is in the under hood fuse panel.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:24 PM
Trial User

Ok So found out that my Radiator fan was bad so Rockauto replaced my fan and had it in two day... Fan worked... is suppose that it come between 102 to 106 I think Celcius... replace the Thermo switch from the Radiator Hose.
Now when the AC is running both fan kick on and Run. IF AC is not running then Fan will come on when the appriate temp reaches.... and works that way.... but it still over heats... the niddle will go above the middle point and stay at 3/4 high if you shut the car off then the radiator fan will on to cool the car down. I drove it tonight and its crazy not sure what else can it be wrong to made it over heat. Any other help? Thank you so kindly.

Fuses and relay under the hood are OK. Fuses by the foot of the driver site are OK.
Andrew
Old 08-14-2011, 12:28 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any ideas?
Thank you.
You need to worry about the one on the thermostat housing. If you follow the lower radiator hose it goes to the back of the engine. There is a sensor back there. That's the sensor poorman is referring to.

If you don't want to test it, then just replace it. That should fix your problems. Go to the parts store and ask for the "fan switch on the thermostat housing".
Old 08-14-2011, 12:31 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by 7azhar7
I believe the one near the radiator is the switch for the motor and the one on the thermostat is the other switch that turns on when it reaches a certain temp. im not sure how to check that one. i believe hooking one up is easy positive wire run from battery to the fan motor and negative from battery to negative on fan motor. is that right?
Why not just fix the problem ? Just follow the instructions I gave the other guy.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok So found out that my Radiator fan was bad so Rockauto replaced my fan and had it in two day... Fan worked... is suppose that it come between 102 to 106 I think Celcius... replace the Thermo switch from the Radiator Hose.
Now when the AC is running both fan kick on and Run. IF AC is not running then Fan will come on when the appriate temp reaches.... and works that way.... but it still over heats... the niddle will go above the middle point and stay at 3/4 high if you shut the car off then the radiator fan will on to cool the car down. I drove it tonight and its crazy not sure what else can it be wrong to made it over heat. Any other help? Thank you so kindly.

Fuses and relay under the hood are OK. Fuses by the foot of the driver site are OK.
Andrew
Holmes-I read this a bit differently...OP help with a little more info.

AC off - When temp gets "right" you say "fan will come on". First question - BOTH fans should come on, do they?

If BOTH fans come on (AC off) when the car gets warm, then check for proper coolant level and flow, then check for "dirt" and that preventing air flow thru rad -clean if dirt, bugs ect are present. If problem is still there throw a new t-stat at it _ cheap and easy _ as it could be that it is not opening all the way.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:53 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Yeah, I'm havin a problem understandin what he's saying there 'cause he's contradictin himself a lot in that post.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
Yeah, I'm havin a problem understandin what he's saying there 'cause he's contradictin himself a lot in that post.
Confusing at times....thanks