Notices
Honda S2000 Honda S2000

Dual stage to single stage?

Old 07-30-2011, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual stage to single stage?

Is it possible to bypass the the first stage of a dual stage airbag and use it as a single stage?

Picture below:
Single stage airbag on left - Dual stage on right..

Splice red wires on dual stage and wire it to the single stage connector. Bypass yellow wires..

Possible?

Old 07-30-2011, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dual stage to single stage?

that sounds like a great idea, i don't see how it would be different. afterall it's just a trigger to an airbag, it should work the same. The billions spent on airbag technology was a waste, you just splice red wire to red wire!! BRILLIANT!
Old 07-30-2011, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what the hell is with the influx of idiots? it must be that time of month again
Old 07-30-2011, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Boots
what the hell is with the influx of idiots? it must be that time of month again
yeah and apparently we, as the people who have a bit of common sense shouldn't outcast these morons for the sake of preserving the forum. ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME? C'MON.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

stupidity should not be coddled...
Old 07-30-2011, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dagle
that sounds like a great idea, i don't see how it would be different. afterall it's just a trigger to an airbag, it should work the same. The billions spent on airbag technology was a waste, you just splice red wire to red wire!! BRILLIANT!
Actually this is just the airbag itself. The controller is what Triggers the airbag based off sensors placed on the vehicle, NO? This dual stage air bag is basically 2 air bags with different pressures. The dual stage controller is what chooses which airbag to set off. So if we are using a single stage controller, we could choose which bag to use and run a dual stage bag as a single stage. Either the more severe bag or the mild bag, only one will be connected and only one will be triggered?

Heres somebody who has tried it, just wanted some feedback on it. No need to be a dick.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-4...ag-work-2.html
Old 07-30-2011, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its dual stage for a reason, but hey, you want to take a chance on a device that is designed to save your life and modify it, by all means...i think Darwin called that natural selection...in short, its a very dumb idea
Old 07-30-2011, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its dual stage for a reason, but hey, you want to take a chance on a device that is designed to save your life and modify it, by all means...i think Darwin called that natural selection...in short, its a very dumb idea
Isn't dual stage air bag made to preserve the severe air bag in mild cases? Also, to prevent unneeded pressure to the passenger in less severe conditions?
Old 07-30-2011, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mrscbw
Isn't dual stage air bag made to preserve the severe air bag in mild cases? Also, to prevent unneeded pressure to the passenger in less severe conditions?

exactly, but why would you want to alter that in any way? im honestly trying to make an attempt to understand your reasoning behind it
Old 07-30-2011, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually this is just the airbag itself. The controller is what Triggers the airbag based off sensors placed on the vehicle, NO? This dual stage air bag is basically 2 air bags with different pressures. The dual stage controller is what chooses which airbag to set off. So if we are using a single stage controller, we could choose which bag to use and run a dual stage bag as a single stage. Either the more severe bag or the mild bag, only one will be connected and only one will be triggered?

Heres somebody who has tried it, just wanted some feedback on it. No need to be a dick.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-4...ag-work-2.html
I can't believe that you're serious and not a forum troll. ARE YOU SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING ALTERING THE SRS SYSTEM? It's one thing to convert the entire dual stage system to single stage, or vice versa, but to try to engineer your own version of it without understanding it is INSANE. If you don't understand it to the point where you can do the conversion yourself, would you not agree it's best to leave it to the billions of dollars that went into engineering and technological advances?

You can't be serious, then I see that you try to defend your proposal?
Old 07-30-2011, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can't believe that you're serious and not a forum troll. ARE YOU SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING ALTERING THE SRS SYSTEM? It's one thing to convert the entire dual stage system to single stage, or vice versa, but to try to engineer your own version of it without understanding it is INSANE. If you don't understand it to the point where you can do the conversion yourself, would you not agree it's best to leave it to the billions of dollars that went into engineering and technological advances?

You can't be serious, then I see that you try to defend your proposal?
Can you explain how a airbag system works instead of just telling me im an idiot? Or better yet..tell me why it WOULDN'T work?

We could all learn something about airbags here, yea?
Old 07-30-2011, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

"The airbag sensor is a MEMS accelerometer, which is a small integrated circuit with integrated micro mechanical elements. The microscopic mechanical element moves in response to rapid deceleration, and this motion causes a change in capacitance, which is detected by the electronics on the chip that then sends a signal to fire the airbag. The most common MEMS accelerometer in use is the ADXL-50 by Analog Devices, but there are other MEMS manufacturers as well."

Seems like all the technology is located in the control unit, sensors, etc.. and the air bag is just waiting for the trigger from the control unit. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there is a vast amount invested in the acutal bag itself. But if the air bag is just that..an airbag..waiting to be deployed. I don't see how you can't swap this out? If you crash, controller unit sends signal to air bag..air bag deploys..no?

What is actually inside the airbag?
Old 07-30-2011, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nothing is actually inside the air bag until it deploys, then i believe its inflated with nitrogen...i strongly urge you not to try to reverse engineer an airbag...im not quite sure if that was the answer you were looking for...i would imagine, however, that if you disabled, say the severe airbag, it would adversly affect the "mild" airbag in a sense that would render the entire system useless, setting yourself up for catastrophic consequences
Old 07-30-2011, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, go do it then on what you think is how it works. I don't claim to understand to know the elements, triggers, chemical compounds, their reactions or anything within an airbag system, but I do have the common sense to know that its a bad idea to make assumptions about a system and modifying the system based on those assumptions.

Have fun then, and I hope for your sake that you never find yourself in a situation where the airbag may need to be deployed.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nothing is actually inside the air bag until it deploys, then i believe its inflated with nitrogen...i strongly urge you not to try to reverse engineer an airbag...im not quite sure if that was the answer you were looking for...i would imagine, however, that if you disabled, say the severe airbag, it would adversly affect the "mild" airbag in a sense that would render the entire system useless, setting yourself up for catastrophic consequences
This is the kind of responses I was looking for. Could you explain how it would affect the mild airbag if the severe airbag is not in place? I was under the impression that these are 2 seperate airbags with different rates of deployment running 2 different trigger lines by the dual stage controller. The dual stage controller..based on impact can decide which airbag to deploy using sensors. Is there something inside the airbag itself that has the 2 airbags talk to each other?

Since I will be converting this to a single stage. The single stage controller cannot decide which airbag to deploy because it only has 1. So any airbag connected to the control unit will be triggered as soon as conditions are met by the single stage controller no matter which airbag you connect to it..mild or severe (of course I would wire the severe bag and not the mild).

Again, this is just my thinking based on how airbags work. If I am missing something or oversimplifying the system, drop it on me
Old 07-30-2011, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Once the electrical circuit has been turned on by the sensor, a pellet of sodium azide (NaN3) is ignited. A rapid reaction occurs, generating nitrogen gas (N2). This gas fills a nylon or polyamide bag at a velocity of 150 to 250 miles per hour. This process, from the initial impact of the crash to full inflation of the airbags, takes only about 40 milliseconds (Movie 1). Ideally, the body of the driver (or passenger) should not hit the airbag while it is still inflating. In order for the airbag to cushion the head and torso with air for maximum protection, the airbag must begin to deflate (i.e., decrease its internal pressure) by the time the body hits it. Otherwise, the high internal pressure of the airbag would create a surface as hard as stone-- not the protective cushion you would want to crash into!
Old 07-30-2011, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, ill tell you from experience, my face has never met an airbag that it got along with, they suck and they hurt like hell...now as far has which bag is deployed is completely dependent on the actual controller...technically speaking, both airbags work independently, but are controlled by the same trigger ie the controller...does that make sense at all?
Old 07-31-2011, 12:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well, ill tell you from experience, my face has never met an airbag that it got along with, they suck and they hurt like hell...now as far has which bag is deployed is completely dependent on the actual controller...technically speaking, both airbags work independently, but are controlled by the same trigger ie the controller...does that make sense at all?
That makes complete sense to me. Since they both have seperate trigger lines connected to the controller. Since the airbags work independently if you don't connect the mild airbag at all, the single stage controller won't even know something is missing because it doesn't even know that there are suppose to be 2 airbags connected to it. It only has 1 trigger line and made to trigger 1 air bag when conditions are met. Does this make any sense?
Old 07-31-2011, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it does....but it might trigger something to malfunction inside the controller since its setup for two airbags and only one is being used...to be honest, im not quite sure what goes on inside the controller
Old 07-31-2011, 12:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it does....but it might trigger something to malfunction inside the controller since its setup for two airbags and only one is being used...to be honest, im not quite sure what goes on inside the controller
Ahh..I'll talk to the guy at clublexus to see whats going on with his..
Old 07-31-2011, 01:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ahh..I'll talk to the guy at clublexus to see whats going on with his..
For your sake, if you really want to convert to single stage just get the 00-05 complete SRS system.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For your sake, if you really want to convert to single stage just get the 00-05 complete SRS system.
Uhh...dont know what you were reading but I coulda sworn I said i am trying to put a dual stage airbag as a single stage in a SINGLE STAGE system...

Why would I get a convert to single stage system when I already have one?
Old 07-31-2011, 03:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Honda has a good idea about how to make a car safe. My idea for you would be just leave it as is.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Uhh...dont know what you were reading but I coulda sworn I said i am trying to put a dual stage airbag as a single stage in a SINGLE STAGE system...

Why would I get a convert to single stage system when I already have one?

Ok, then what benefit do you see from converting a dual-stage airbag to a single stage to work in the 00-05? Why not just get the one that's designed to work with the existing system?
Old 07-31-2011, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, then what benefit do you see from converting a dual-stage airbag to a single stage to work in the 00-05? Why not just get the one that's designed to work with the existing system?
Well...I figured out how to do it safely without altering the system. It was quite simple actually. After research..a dual stage system utilizes 2 ignitors and 1 airbag. (how I figure this out? Simple, watching a video of a dual stage airbag deploy. First stage deploys air bag comes out, second stage deploys, airbag REINFALTES.) Looking at the back of these 2 units..all I had to do was remove the dual stage ignitor system and switch it with the single stage. Problem Solved. NO splicing needed. Direct swap.

Now I have just opened the door for people who wants to swap the newer AP2 steering wheel into their single stage system..

I contribute not just leech okay? thanks bye..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dual stage to single stage?