Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Carbon Synchros

Old 06-25-2010, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Carbon Synchros

Hey Guys,

We are in the process of testing some prototype K20 2nd gear carbon synchros. So far they are doing great but before I go in to production, I would like to get some feedback form you to see if the demand justifies the tooling and production costs. From what I have seen, 2nd and 3rd on the K20 have severe shift problems. So far there has been nothing done by Honda to correct the 2nd synchro failure so I decided to take matters into my own hands. Below is the history of Honda carbon synchros along with test results. I appreciate any questions or comments.

Prototype K20 triple cone carbon lined 2nd synchro:

Carbon Synchro History:

2001: Honda introduced the use of carbon lined synchros in the JDM K20 ITR on 3rd and 4th gears and on the D17 Civic 1st gear. I first noticed a carbon synchro on 5th gear in a USDM trans in 2002 on an H22 transmission that I was rebuilding. After doing some research, I discovered that Honda had a technical service bulletin to replace the 5th sleeve set with an updated carbon lined synchro to reduce the shift grind. They have since also used update kits with carbon lined synchros for other models with shift issues and started using them in several late model transmissions.

2003: Originally, when I was working at a different company, we sold OEM carbon lined synchros made by Dynax. In 2005, when we lost our source for the Dynax carbon lined synchros, we developed moly coated synchros for the B series. As you can see in the test results chart, they are much better than the stock brass synchros but were not as good as a full carbon lined synchro.

2008: The company I worked for was discontinuing their performance division so I purchased their remaining inventory and started Synchrotech Transmissions Inc. At first we sold the same carbon/moly coated synchros while we started the testing and development of a new carbon lined synchro. We tested several different carbon compounds and went back to the drawing board numerous times. We tested side by side with the previous moly synchros and with each new prototype we made changes to improve performance and longevity.

February 2010: After a year of testing, we debuted the new Synchrotech "Pro Series Carbon Synchros" for 1st-5th gears on the B/H/D series. Unlike the previous carbon/moly synchros they have a full carbon fiber lining, not just a coating. We have also improved the lock angle, tooth pattern, strengthened the brass body and bonding process to handle more HP and high RPM shifts.

June 2010: We started testing the K20 2nd 3rd carbon synchros. With the help of several race teams (that were kind enough to be our guinea pigs) we tested and developed the K series carbon lined synchros. As we did previously with the B series, these synchros were put through testing in street cars, and on the track, with drag and road race abuse. Updates and changes were made along the way including an added fiber mesh between the carbon and brass body to strengthen the bonding and we revised the oiling grooves for better lubrication. These same upgrades have also been incorperated to the rest of our synchro line.

November 2010: We added the complete 1-6 K series carbon lined synchros to our store.

2011: We are continuosly testing and developing new products with our commitment to provide the best parts and service in the industry.

David Henson
CEO/ President
Synchrotech Transmissions Inc.

Last edited by David @ Synchrotech; 07-14-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Carbon Synchros

i was hoping you guys had your carbon synchros line up for the 1st and 2nd for the K's but you guys are still at the prototype stage so im highly interested in your carbon synchros from 1st-4th for the K tranny when ever you guys get done with testing
Old 06-26-2010, 03:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want a set!
Old 06-26-2010, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just a heads up. Someone was testing these and was originally having issues coming out of 2nd. He used these new prototypes and could not believe it. His words he stated was it felt like someone but a stick of butter in there. It shifts and goes in and out of the gears like butter.
Good Job David! Can't wait till they come out.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:01 PM

synchrotech top notch guy and customer service! he build all our race teams transmisions

Last edited by 1320fuel.com; 06-27-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought the jdm 2-4 syncros from dave while I was in a rush to get my trans back together in a rush and he sent them out as soon as we got off the phone and I got them in to days to ohio. great customer service and I will for sure buy a 1-4 set if you put these into production.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks good, I can see a market for such products in the UK and Europe.

In for info
Old 06-27-2010, 06:46 PM
King of the One Liners

Been waiting for them !
Old 06-27-2010, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2fastGSR
Been waiting for them !
yea u my friend def need that lol
Old 06-27-2010, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I want a set too! I have a ep3 ctr tranny and its starting to grind in 2nd and 3rd. i'm also looking at getting an 04 type s tranny from a friend that needs a 3rd also.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:42 PM
formerly Bullhead Gears

Interested to see results, if they fix the K 2nd gear problem there will be great demand for them, I am just not sure that carbon will make the difference, as the B series synchro's in stock form seem to work much better than the stock K as it is. In for results, I hope it works.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Had a set of gear speed moly/carbon on my old jdm gsr hatch. They we're butter! Looking forward to seeing the test results and most probably buying a set for my K trans winter build.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good company with a Good customer service!
Old 06-28-2010, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Synchrotech
Old 06-29-2010, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

David @ Synchrotech

Great news to hear.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Latest news on testing:

Car 1: Local California K20 drag car - several passes at Irwindale Speedway shifting 9,000 RPMs doing so well that the car needs to be retuned for more power to see what they can handle...Thanks Tom!

Car 2: 09 Civic Si street car up and down shifts 2-3 & 3-2 @ 8,000 RPMs. To quote the driver "It feels like someone melted a stick of butter on my gears".

Car 3: Drag car in US Virgin Islands: Waiting on report

Car 4: Looking for a Guinea Pig to test in a road race car for endurance and durability testing
Old 07-01-2010, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Synchrotech-Transmissions
Car 2: 09 Civic Si street car up and down shifts 2-3 & 3-2 @ 8,000 RPMs. To quote the driver "It feels like someone melted a stick of butter on my gears".
thats what i like to hear! ill be in touch about these dave.
-Roger
Old 07-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im glad someone is finally doing this.I've gone through 2 tranny's and I need a set....
Old 09-18-2010, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Update: The testing is complete and the K20 carbon lined synchros are in production - we are currently waiting on the tooling to be finshed. Projected release date is 11/2010
Old 09-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Synchrotech-Transmissions
Update: The testing is complete and the K20 carbon lined synchros are in production - we are currently waiting on the tooling to be finshed. Projected release date is 11/2010
thats good to hear Dave i'll give you a call in november
Old 12-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We now have the K20 1-6 carbon synchros available.

PM me for pricing
Old 06-30-2011, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

We have added some updates and changes made along the way including a fiber mesh between the carbon and brass body to strengthen the bonding and we revised the oiling grooves for better lubrication. These same upgrades have also been incorperated to the rest of our synchro line.

For more info on the carbon synchro history visit: http://www.synchrotech-transmissions..._Synchros.html

Old 06-30-2011, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump for the lady who picks up the phone @ sychrotech, got the rest of my carbon synchros shipped out fast.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:38 PM

was on the phone with david for an hour or so today and i cant say how much of a good partner in our race team, buisness man, and supporter of our sport. he took a market that needed attn. and he builds the transmissions for the some of the fastest cars in the country. when david speaks tranny's listen he has alot of knowledge to share and i thought i new alot about tranny's but i now have him build all of our race transmissions just because i know he does the job right the first time and pays attn to every detail. and the cases are super polished with every race build. thanks to david and his family they really got it together and thanks to them for supporting the west coast nationals again for the 3rd year running.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ctrparts.com
was on the phone with david for an hour or so today and i cant say how much of a good partner in our race team, buisness man, and supporter of our sport. he took a market that needed attn. and he builds the transmissions for the some of the fastest cars in the country. when david speaks tranny's listen he has alot of knowledge to share and i thought i new alot about tranny's but i now have him build all of our race transmissions just because i know he does the job right the first time and pays attn to every detail. and the cases are super polished with every race build. thanks to david and his family they really got it together and thanks to them for supporting the west coast nationals again for the 3rd year running.

Thanks Chad - see you at the race!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carbon Synchros