Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

2002 Civic EX transmission problems

Old 06-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 2002 Civic EX transmission problems

Hello all,
I'm new here. I recently purchased an 02 civic from my aunt because the transmission was bad. I bought it at a really good price and thought I'd change the transmission myself. I'm no mechanic but I managed to get the transmission out yesterday. Now I'm trying to decide whether I want to spend $1400-1600 on a remanned tranny or see if I can rebuild it myself. I have, once again, never done this but thought there might be a writeup on it. The way I see it, I dont have a lot to lose by trying.

Car: 2002 Honda Civic EX. 4-door. Automatic Transmission.

Symptoms: The car starts fine and runs well. The transmission will move the car only in reverse but has little power. All forward gears will not move the car at all. There is no grinding noise when increasing engine speed.

??? I assume its some type of clutch problem

Thanks,
Leon
Old 06-02-2011, 10:31 AM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Re: 2002 Civic EX trnasmission problems

It sounds like the torque converter is toast. It could be more than just that, as well. But, automatic transmissions that are in good condition can be found at salvage yards for about $500.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you checked the fluid level? What about the condition of the fluid?

How many miles are on it?

On a side note: Buy one of these http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2...C01&itemtype=N
Old 06-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Fluid was fine. Car has 130k on it.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Ah, yeah these automatics don't last very long. It's likely due for a rebuild or replacement.

However, I do not recommend you try rebuilding it yourself, especially if you have no experience rebuilding transmissions. If you want to try it, buy the manual I linked earlier. You're going to need it.

As mentioned, used transmissions are readily available and for reasonable prices. $1400 - $1600 seems a bit steep for a rebuilt automatic. I've seen rebuilt manual transmissions in the $700 - $800 range, with a warranty. I'd search around for the best price and warranty.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I suggest going for an 04-05 year auto tranny, they are built a bit better than the 01-03 ones.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a similar problem... my 01 ex, when first turned on, runs fine but after it has been driven for about like 10 minutes, or when it warms up, it gradually stops wanting to get going. the rpms also fluctuate at the moment also... ima total noob an need assistance :/

well i guess not so similar haha
Old 06-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

These transmission are very know for having problems after 80k miles !! specialy if you dont keep them on services witch most people dont.

I have 01 tranny with 83k miles asking $800... I been waiting to find a good deal on one with bad trans but havent had luck.

aslo before you go out finding a trans make sure you get the correct one since there two version a US and Jap model. EX doesnt work on the LX DX
Old 06-05-2011, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SpoonREVS
These transmission are very know for having problems after 80k miles !! specialy if you dont keep them on services witch most people dont.

I have 01 tranny with 83k miles asking $800... I been waiting to find a good deal on one with bad trans but havent had luck.

aslo before you go out finding a trans make sure you get the correct one since there two version a US and Jap model. EX doesnt work on the LX DX
How to you tell the difference btw a us and Japanese built tranny? I have a 2002 LX if that matters, vin starts 2HG (I know that's a US made vin)
Old 06-05-2011, 10:13 AM
Trial User

Icon2 Re: 2002 Civic EX trnasmission problems

hey im new to this to how do i post a comment ive been trying for awhile and just cant figure it out thanks for your time
Old 06-08-2011, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by husyk
I suggest going for an 04-05 year auto tranny, they are built a bit better than the 01-03 ones.
a bit better or a lot better? why only a bit better? do 04-05 still have the defective 2nd gear clutch pack carrier and internal filter?
Old 06-09-2011, 05:25 AM
Sanji

Originally Posted by Fuzbal
a bit better or a lot better? why only a bit better? do 04-05 still have the defective 2nd gear clutch pack carrier and internal filter?
2003 brought a slightly upgraded clutch pack, but that's about it. There was a company that had upgraded internals available for the D17 automatic, but I cannot recall their name.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by toyomatt84
2003 brought a slightly upgraded clutch pack, but that's about it. There was a company that had upgraded internals available for the D17 automatic, but I cannot recall their name.
K what about 04 and 05s? And do these ones still have the internal filter found in 01?
Old 06-09-2011, 08:14 AM
Sanji

K what about 04 and 05s? And do these ones still have the internal filter found in 01?
The change was made in 2003. So, therefore, 2004 and 2005 also have the slightly upgraded clutch packs. That is all the changes I know of for the transmission internals. So, presumably, the filter is still there.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The change was made in 2003. So, therefore, 2004 and 2005 also have the slightly upgraded clutch packs. That is all the changes I know of for the transmission internals. So, presumably, the filter is still there.
Hmm car complaints has under 30 reports for 04 and 05 ATs combined so im guessing thats good proof that theyre built a lot better? or should i take it with a grain of salt.

THe upgraded clutch packs are the TCI racing overhaul kit but no one sells it anymore.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Sanji

Hmm car complaints has under 30 reports for 04 and 05 ATs combined so im guessing thats good proof that theyre built a lot better? or should i take it with a grain of salt.
I never take any online review without a huge grain of salt. Another reason why you're seeing less, is due to age. The '04-05's are simply newer. The older the car is, the more likely it will be that you'll see more complaints regardless any differences in product design. That's just simple mathematics.

As for the transmission, I would just buy one that comes with some sort of warranty/guaranty and call it a day. If you maintain it properly, there should be no issues.

THe upgraded clutch packs are the TCI racing overhaul kit but no one sells it anymore.
You sure?
http://www.compperformancegroupstore...Category_Code=
Old 06-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I never take any online review without a huge grain of salt. Another reason why you're seeing less, is due to age. The '04-05's are simply newer. The older the car is, the more likely it will be that you'll see more complaints regardless any differences in product design. That's just simple mathematics.

As for the transmission, I would just buy one that comes with some sort of warranty/guaranty and call it a day. If you maintain it properly, there should be no issues.

You sure?
http://www.compperformancegroupstore...Category_Code=
Well true the whole age thing, but the thing is 01 has 700 reports now on failure and thats only 3yrs newer than 04! I dont know about you but 04-05 trannies is still a 6yr old tranny, that should be enough time for reports to come in on failed ones.

I just see 700 vs less than 30 night and day difference. I mean its the number one complaint on that site, 700 is a lot! Damn, i was browsing other cars and nothing even comes close!
Old 06-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Sanji

Well true the whole age thing, but the thing is 01 has 700 reports now on failure and thats only 3yrs newer than 04! I dont know about you but 04-05 trannies is still a 6yr old tranny, that should be enough time for reports to come in on failed ones.

I just see 700 vs less than 30 night and day difference. I mean its the number one complaint on that site, 700 is a lot! Damn, i was browsing other cars and nothing even comes close!
3 years is actually a rather long amount of time. But I won't go in to that one, because its all relative.

Either way, it seems like you're putting a lot of weight in to the reviews of one site. You have no way of knowing whether or not the complaints are valid, whether or not there is any owner bias, nor the situations the owners were in when the transmissions failed. Hence why I stated that I take any online review with a grain of salt.

But, as for your filter request (from another thread), the only exterior filter ever offered for the 2001-2005 Civics was for the HX's that had CVT transmissions. Yours did not, so no matter what transmission you'll be purchasing, the filter will be internal.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

3 years is actually a rather long amount of time. But I won't go in to that one, because its all relative.

Either way, it seems like you're putting a lot of weight in to the reviews of one site. You have no way of knowing whether or not the complaints are valid, whether or not there is any owner bias, nor the situations the owners were in when the transmissions failed. Hence why I stated that I take any online review with a grain of salt.

But, as for your filter request (from another thread), the only exterior filter ever offered for the 2001-2005 Civics was for the HX's that had CVT transmissions. Yours did not, so no matter what transmission you'll be purchasing, the filter will be internal.
Sorry, read your post wrong, I thought you meant that you DONT take the online complaints with a grain of salt. Well its not just that one site, theres a bunch, just google "2001 honda civic auto transmission problems" or even honda auto problems and it all goes to 2001-03. I forgot the site but there was another site that had over 450 more complaints for 01 tranny failures.

I know from 01 to 04/05 is a long enough time for trannys to go out, i just think that if these honda trannies go out early (from what i read they tend to before 100k miles), then 04/05 trannies should be enough time for the drivers to rack up 100k miles. I could be wrong.

I will pick up probably the 04 with only 30k km on it. And for the 01 im using now, i would love nothing more than to take it to a tranny shop and have them open it up cause im very very curious to see the condition of mine inside.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2002 Civic EX transmission problems

toyo dont forget this site, over 270 reports as well.

http://www.AboutAutomobile.com/Compl...c+Transmission

You still taking this with a grain of salt? I know we dont know the bias but do you think a lot of these reports are false and made up?
Old 06-10-2011, 03:10 AM
Sanji

toyo dont forget this site, over 270 reports as well.

http://www.AboutAutomobile.com/Compl...c+Transmission

You still taking this with a grain of salt? I know we dont know the bias but do you think a lot of these reports are false and made up?
You're taking this way too seriously. You're making this out to be a matter as extreme as disarming a bomb. My advice would be to look in to what has been posted, make a decision, and run with it. I've given what information I have on the matter, and there really isn't much else out there... even if you search for some time.

PS. I don't really care what those sites say on this subject, especially since I haven't had a D17 since 2006. So, in effect, your questions towards my opinion on those review sites won't sway me at all.

Last edited by toyomatt84; 06-15-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey,
Just thought I'd post an update. I ordered a remanned transmission from Synchrotech. I finished putting it in yesterday. I have never done a transmission, or anything so in depth, before. It was quite the experience. ON the new transmission, there is a filter on the ATF cooler lines. Synchrotech says that they do all updates on the transmission. I filled with Honda ATF and test drove frequently checking levels. I could not test drive the car when I bought it but I was told the shocks were bad. There is a bad clunking noise coming from the right front side. I am going to buy new bushings for the lower control arm today and put them in. I already replaced the ball joints in the knuckles. I will try to post updates and pics soon.

Leon

Last edited by FLGSHP7; 06-23-2011 at 11:15 AM. Reason: technical error
Old 06-23-2011, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FLGSHP7
Hey,
Just thought I'd post an update. I ordered a remanned transmission from Synchrotech. I finished putting it in yesterday. I have never done a transmission, or anything so in depth, before. It was quite the experience. ON the new transmission, there is a filter on the ATF cooler lines. Synchrotech says that they do all updates on the transmission. I filled with Honda ATF and test drove frequently checking levels. I could not test drive the car when I bought it but I was told the shocks were bad. There is a bad clunking noise coming from the right front side. I am going to buy new bushings for the lower control arm today and put them in. I already replaced the ball joints in the lower arms. I will try to post updates and pics soon.

Leon
Congrats on the swap. I'm sure it was a big job.

My front suspension clunks too, but it's the struts.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hye i got my new tranny put in, do i need to have the PCM reprogrammed at a honda dealer? Is it 100% needed?
Old 06-23-2011, 01:26 PM
Sanji

Hye i got my new tranny put in, do i need to have the PCM reprogrammed at a honda dealer? Is it 100% needed?
No.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 Civic EX transmission problems