Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

fwd dirt track racing??

Old 06-08-2011, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fwd dirt track racing??

Im not sure if this is the place to ask about this being drag racing section but theres not a section for it. Im looking for some info and even pics on oval dirt track racing a fwd honda. pics and any info would be greatly appreciated in advance.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fwd dirt track racing??

hmm...
Old 06-08-2011, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWD dirt track racing has actually been around for awhile. When we were highly active in the Honda Engine building business, we used to do alot of non-drag racing setups. There would be customers using them for Ice Racing, dirt track and of course all the different types of road racing all over the country.

The LS engine was popular in certain part of the country in dirt chassis cars. I believe it was in Idaho or somewhere that area. They used the LS engine and mated it to a 2-3 speed transmission in a tube chassis with a monte carlo body.

What I learned through the years was while there was major sanctioning bodies like NASA, SCCA, etc. There were a bunch of local type classes that catered to just a local track. It was actually interesting because some of those classes would require them to not use EFI and they would have to convert these engines to carbs.

Its going to be difficult to find info on those things here in Honda Tech. There maybe some that may know what they are but its not very common. You would probably have better luck going into a dirt track racing specific forums and sites that would talk about FWD classes.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:23 AM

http://stockton99.com/divisions.html
Old 06-09-2011, 12:24 AM

the class is called basically 4 cylinders they have the rules payouts and other info check it out we help a couple people who race this.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There are a few tracks close to here and I've talked to guys with some pretty serious setups that are hardcore dirt track racers. Again though not sure if they are even on here or not. One thing I've noticed about these guys too is there not afraid to throw down heavy cash to get them the way they want.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a customer that we tune that used a 99 prelude for dirt track racing locally. The rules are different from place to place and we just used the rules to our advantage. I'll take some pictures of the car and get more info when she comes next time.

Steve
Old 06-09-2011, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

theres a track here in central Pa that runs them saturday nights. never bothered watching them, cause we race sprint cars, but i have seen them at the same track when we are testing.....cant say it was the most exciting thing LOL. but if you want to race, itll help scratch the itch if you know what i mean.

They had an integra, an accord, cavalier, neon and something else on a few occasions testing when we were there.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:39 AM

crazy thing is they have this thing to keep the cars from getting out of control if someone spends to much money or starts killing the class, they have a thing where anyone can buy the car i forget what they call it but it keeps people from getting to crazy.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Down here its called claim class. Eastbay raceway park runs the Dirt Dauber races, but they only run rwd v6s or v8s. But any one who bought a ticket for the race can claim any car in the field for 571.92. 500 goes to the driver, and 71.92 to the track and the driver keeps all safety equipment he put into the car. You have to claim two minutes or earlier after the race ends.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not sure i understand how that works.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

theres an awd b-series civic over here running the 4 cyl class. pretty open when it comes to rules.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.eastbayracewaypark.com/ru...-dauber-rules/

Its towards the bottom.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Didn't somebody already go 8s on a dirt road
Old 06-09-2011, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know buddy from MD was running at the track near MIR.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:02 PM
STAR

Name:  dirttrac0.jpg
Views: 6723
Size:  53.3 KB
Old 06-10-2011, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

eh?
Old 06-13-2011, 04:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We got a local trackthat trying to start it im just looking for some pics on how ppl are making it work bc I would like to do more than just a stock body and stock suspension.... Where can I find pics and info on the cars?
Old 06-13-2011, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I used to race an integra on dirt. It dominated the local fwd 4 cyl class. It won at 5 different tracks and 18 races in one season. I used a ctr transmission with mfactory 4.9 fd. Gearing is very important as is tire selection and air pressures. I race a full bodied metric stock car class now. I miss dominating all the neons, saturns, preludes, civics etc. with my lsvtec integra. My daily beater integra has a 230 whp b20vtec that I am forever attached to. My wife tells me to sell it once a week and buy a new vehicle but its paid for and a blast.
Attached Images   
Old 06-13-2011, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Now that looks like fun !!!
Old 06-21-2011, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jaylivfortyfive
I used to race an integra on dirt. It dominated the local fwd 4 cyl class. It won at 5 different tracks and 18 races in one season. I used a ctr transmission with mfactory 4.9 fd. Gearing is very important as is tire selection and air pressures. I race a full bodied metric stock car class now. I miss dominating all the neons, saturns, preludes, civics etc. with my lsvtec integra. My daily beater integra has a 230 whp b20vtec that I am forever attached to. My wife tells me to sell it once a week and buy a new vehicle but its paid for and a blast.
This is more of what im looking for but really wanting to see some close to 300hp with dirt track tires and diff suspension
Old 07-01-2011, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey, sorry i'm late. This is my third year in this class. At my track they are called "hornets" but they follow IMCA Sport Compact rules... which are basically all stock, no vtec, no modifying anything, no 2-seaters, no sports cars, just run what ya brung! Basically LS integras, civics, preludes... anything non-vtec is fine. I started with a DA teg and now have an H23 prelude.

http://www.onewinracing.com <-my team's site
http://www.photobucket.com/1wracing <-TONS of pics
http://www.twitter.com/onewinracing <-teams twitter page
http://www.i-76speedway.com <-local track i race at weekly, run a couple others too
http://www.imca.com <-one of the biggest racing sanctioning bodies, they run sport compacts all over but mainly in kansas/nebraska/iowa.

You have any questions, you can holler at me. I've built two cars, bought one other that was already built, and all of them are multiple main event winners... none of them are illegal either LOL.

-johnny hatchback
Old 07-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by justnprsh07
This is more of what im looking for but really wanting to see some close to 300hp with dirt track tires and diff suspension
The problem with our cars is that they "push" in the corners, meaning they go from the bottom of the track to the top of the track when in the corner. Enter low, come out high. You can make the car come in loose by running the rear tire pressures way up (40 psi), adding weight to the right rear, remove the rear sway bar, and setting the rear tow to make the car almost spin out when you go in... that way you can gas it and when it "pushes" it is really driving you out of a drift so to speak. I've heard welding the diff will make it do this also... drift kinda. 300hp will do you good on the straightaway but you would HAVE to modify the suspension to control it in the corner and if the track dries out you won't get traction anyway. I live in CO and the tracks are always dry/slick so traction is an issue in the main event, even with my stock H23. You would have to alter your tire size/pressure to make it turn left also. Depends on the track too... last week i ran on a 3/8 mile track, when it was wet in the heat race i had it in third and i could mash the gas the whole time pretty much. When it dried out i would go into 1 and 2 and not be able to control the car, getting very close to the guard rail on the back stretch. 3 and 4 i could go hard on the gas the whole time. The track i normally race at is 1/4 mile, i run in 2nd hitting the rev limiter going into the corner, and when it's dry i slide around trying to find traction.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i race fwd dirt track in ontario.it,s alot of fun unless you wreck the car. (even worse, someone else does) i,m new to it and find i got it to turn but doesn't have the same get up and go in the straights. i didn't know how i would do and built an accord. thinkin i wanna try diff car. prob crx. sorry, not sure how to enter pics
Old 07-14-2011, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.neetsracing.com/main.htm

This has fwd, went and saw my first race... entertaining for sure. slow, mostly keep the cars stock but is an option. they beat the **** out of these cars, looks fun for sure. spary paint and a paint roller kinda racing.

I'm, in southeast PA

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fwd dirt track racing??