Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

where did acura hide the weight on the integra

Old 05-25-2011, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default where did acura hide the weight on the integra

Where did Acura hide the weight at on the integra. I've read several hit or miss threads on removing weight from the integra.

The way I see it the cars not that much larger then a civic hatch so why does it weigh so much more. Acura had to hide the pounds somewhere help me find them.

I have removed the back seats and used dry ice to get rid of the sound deadening and removed the carpet as well. I removed the front and back metal bumper and removed the AC.

Can someone tell me where the major weight areas are at that are left on the car. Is it the Glass????? There has to be a way to remove allot of weight out of this car and do it in a manner thats worth my time.

Any suggestions.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: where did acura hide the weight on the integra

you can remove the spare tire and jack, interior panels, and other stuff like that. our cars only weight 2500-2800 lbs anyways. what are you using it for to need all this weight reduction?
Old 05-26-2011, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the exhaust weighs a ton. get a full titanium setup

also the A/C system components and power steering pump/rack
Old 05-26-2011, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got my teg down to 226x LBS with out my skinie *** in there and im only 140 pounds. so far i took out all the interior like pasenger seat. carpet. side panels. everything in the center console, no radio, rear panel. speakers. speaker plastic things, antenna and rear wiper thing and cover. engine bay i did was alu half rad, took out all the ac crap butt still have it under the dash the core. will be taking out the power steering and the sound deadening material. so hopefully another 100 lbs of the car. also a 8pound exedy flywhell...so thats another 10 pounds lol. sorry for the run on sentence.

OP is the car a daily or a track *****?

If its a daily. I STRONGLY recommend you put the bumpers back on. Just in case u rear end some one or some one rear ends you. There will be less damage. Butt to each his own. I would putt the front one on since your engine is the most important thing to protect pretty much including your self.
GL
Old 05-26-2011, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

usually more productive to just increase the hp in a street car. if you're going all out and building a race car normally you cage it and strip everything that isn't used to drive
Old 05-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slimsdizz
Where did Acura hide the weight at on the integra. I've read several hit or miss threads on removing weight from the integra.

The way I see it the cars not that much larger then a civic hatch so why does it weigh so much more. Acura had to hide the pounds somewhere help me find them.

I have removed the back seats and used dry ice to get rid of the sound deadening and removed the carpet as well. I removed the front and back metal bumper and removed the AC.

Can someone tell me where the major weight areas are at that are left on the car. Is it the Glass????? There has to be a way to remove allot of weight out of this car and do it in a manner thats worth my time.

Any suggestions.
If you haven't acid dipped the chassis, you aren't truly serious about weight reduction...

All the power motors (windows, mirrors, moon-roof) weight a fair bit. Since the bumpers have been removed, you might as well remove the impact beams from the doors. If you have a 98+, remove the side impact support from under the rear seat. The glass is heavy, especially the hatch, so lexan is your friend there. The stock seats are heavy, replace the driver's seat too.

And, an Integra chassis isn't much heaver than a Civic sedan chassis (which the Integra is based off of). A B series engine and transmission combination is heavier than a D series though, which accounts for a good chunk of the weight difference between a D equipped Civic and a B equipped Integra. Just look at B equipped JDM Civics and D equipped JDM Integras for how much weight difference it makes.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

cf trunk and hood and fenders, then cf doors and roof and with all you did youl be able to push the car with your hands in a slick garrage iv seen it!!
Old 05-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep CF fenders, Doors, Trunk. Also rear tire size. You really dont need that much width. I'm now gonna start track racing, I'll hit the track every once in a while but looks are also in my agenda. but the CF makes alot of sense.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well I agree with the previous poster I probably need to put the front bumper back on
This is some good info here allot better then the other threads I've seen on weight reduction. I'd prefer to keep safety related stuff so I don't die a horrible death.

That being said
What is Acid Dipping the chassis???? how does a person do it themselves??? Share the knowledge please and how much weight does it take off. I'm assuming it's a way to remove the undercoating on the car but won't that allow the body to start rusting.
Could you list the pro's and cons.

The rear glass is curved where can you get lexan that will work and look right for the rear hatch.

Part of my problem is mines a 4 door so I do have more weight then most even with it being a GSR

I've heard the airbags on the integras are actually dangerous is this true if so would it be a good idea to remove them????

who makes a titianium exhaust system for the 4 door and for the 2 door.

I'd like to see this thread become the integra weight reduction sticky so please post your DIY on acid dipping the chassis yourself at home with a respirator or whatever equipment is needed.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:46 AM
Daisy... Daisy...

Acid dipping was clearly trolling.

Lexan is a terrible idea for a street car.

What year and model is this Integra?
Old 05-27-2011, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1995 is the year model 4 door
Old 05-27-2011, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you thought about Carbon hatch, doors, hood, suspension, aluminum brakes caliper, aluminum seat and lighter wheels?

To have fun a NONE street car only can also use a game cube size fuel cell, wipers, wiper fluid, cutting metal out, removing all lock mechanism, hood release etc... and anything else that will not put you in any danger (im sure removing the front brakes will free up more power plus free up weight).
Old 05-27-2011, 11:54 AM
HT Black OPs

How much track experience do you have? I would start with lots of seat time, b4 doing anything.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dogginator
Acid dipping was clearly trolling.
Only "clearly" to intelligent people it would seem...

Anyone capable of spending 45 seconds on Google could know what it is, when you do it, and why it's a terrible idea for most people to even consider it.

Doing it can net you a lighter chassis. So can allowing the metal to rust (free weight reduction y0!)...

Lexan is a terrible idea for a street car.
Also 100% true, but so is removing the bumpers...
Old 05-27-2011, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nanobites will make your car the lightest anywhere.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is for a dc but it should give you a good idea where you stand...

http://www.jdmuniverse.com/forums/ac...ight-list.html
Old 05-30-2011, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that jdm universe thread was exactly what I had been trying to find. Thanks

I've thought about just getting a crx and swapping in the motor tranny and blower.
but haven't made a decision yet. I know I could make allot more power with a turbo but I don't really feel like spending 4 thousand on a full race turbo kit. I figured I'd try to do the things I could within reason to maximise having fun but I want allot more speed so it either comes down to doing a swap. Buying a turbo or installing a wizards of nitrious turbo kit.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can sell me your driver side floor mat. That'll maybe cut -a- pound! ;D
Old 06-02-2011, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think having a custom lightweight crank pulley thats not underdriven would assist allot in acceleration. If gives the illusion weights been shaved off which equals more fun driving
track times seem to stay within a second but makes the car more fun.

I understand what you guys are getting at carbon fiber doors are a thousand dollars each buying 4 of them would pay for a full race turbo kit. I don't see the point. Same with all the carbon fiber. I think buying a CRX with a good body and pain job would be more reasonable.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm too big of afan of creature comforts to ditch them for lightweightness. Maybe ditching the gf would help. That'd be approximately 125 lbs. that wouldn't be riding along...

I didn't notice anyone say anything about the sunroof. It probably weights quite a bit. Getting rid of it and putting in a piece of carbon fiber would definitely help, and as a byproduct it will help to lower your center of gravity. I'm not sure if any company makes a cf piece for sunroof deletes but if you're hardcore enough, getting an rs roof skin would work. That's also a lot of extra work for a little added gain.

Something I think some aftermarket company should try is making composite plastic throttle bodies and intake manifolds. Losing any amount of weight in the front of these cars is definitely important. And if somebody does make them, that's news to me.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DA6righthand
I'm too big of afan of creature comforts to ditch them for lightweightness. Maybe ditching the gf would help. That'd be approximately 125 lbs. that wouldn't be riding along...

I didn't notice anyone say anything about the sunroof. It probably weights quite a bit. Getting rid of it and putting in a piece of carbon fiber would definitely help, and as a byproduct it will help to lower your center of gravity. I'm not sure if any company makes a cf piece for sunroof deletes but if you're hardcore enough, getting an rs roof skin would work. That's also a lot of extra work for a little added gain.

Something I think some aftermarket company should try is making composite plastic throttle bodies and intake manifolds. Losing any amount of weight in the front of these cars is definitely important. And if somebody does make them, that's news to me.
If you're looking for acceleration or handling performance, you should be more concerned with losing the weight from the rear than the front. Only braking performance would benefit from the weight reduction being up front...
Old 06-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Daisy... Daisy...

Originally Posted by TunerN00b
If you're looking for acceleration or handling performance, you should be more concerned with losing the weight from the rear than the front. Only braking performance would benefit from the weight reduction being up front...
The sunroof (glass and drive mechanism) is the worst weight IMO.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The sunroof (glass and drive mechanism) is the worst weight IMO.
No argument from me there.

Highest point of the car is always the absolute worst place to add weight. Why so many cars are offered without the choice of not having that dead weight, is just one of many points of frustration to me.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they did offer it without the dead weight. its called an rs or type r.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lighter flywheel. That ~10lbs right there. And take a **** before you go out every time. thats ~2lbs as well.