Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1990 Honda Accord EX ECU code 43.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Honda Accord EX ECU code 43.

Ok I just bought this car about 2 weeks ago. changed out distributor cap and spark plugs havent had the oil change yet. but will soon. I love this car..Lately however Ive had issues with this code whenever im at a red light or idling it acts as if it wants to cut off i looked up the code and it says its the O2 or fuel supply system. rarely at times while driving it would act as if gas isnt getting to the cylinders..ill pull off first gear revs fine however when i git 2nd or 3rd gears RPMS shoot all the way down and it acts like its gonna stop. However when i mash the gas all the way in the RPMS pick all the way up. is this just a faulty o2 sensor or a dirty fuel injector? If it is a o2 sensor where is it located?
Old 05-13-2011, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1990 Honda Accord EX ECU code 43.

The o2 sensors are right at the bottom of the exhaust manifold in the front and next the the catalytic converter. They could be causing the code, but I don't think they're causing the problem. One common issue with these (including mine, a '90 LX) is the main relay.

(It's the grey one, up under the driver's side dash)

It controls the fuel pump, and when it starts to go bad, it can cut out some times. It's a simple fix, but the part costs about $50, so you'll want to check first to make sure that's actually the problem. Pull the cover off and take a look at the circuit board. If you see any carbon scoring and it looks burnt, that's probably the issue.

If you're handy with a soldering gun, you can try to resolder the points yourself, or you can get a new one from Autozone.

Your issue sounds exactly like what was happening to mine. Let me know if you have any questions, and keep us updated.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is this located where the fuses are under the dash? I see tons of plugs and i dont wanna go unpluging everything i see lol sorry if i seem a lil slow
Old 05-13-2011, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If it's never been replaced, almost certainly bad O2 sensor. The bogging down under load symptoms are typical for it. New Denso or NGK ones for your car available for $60 or less. Install is DIY if you have jackstands and the socket to do it. Any small muffler shop should be willing to slap it in for you for reasonable labor charge. Note if you DIY: the old o2 is virtually impossible to remove while it is cold. Get the engine good and warm before trying to remove it. Be sure to pull the backup fuse to clear that code after installing the new O2. That will make the system see the new part instead of still mapping off of the failing old one.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:05 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.troublecodes.net/honda/hondadtc.shtml

First replace the fuel filter. If it still does it could be the fuel pump going out.

The main relay is on the drivers side under the dash up along the door side of the underside of the dash.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok My ECU is shooting codes 16 and 43 now my right green light is also flashing.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by brakedrum
If it's never been replaced, almost certainly bad O2 sensor. The bogging down under load symptoms are typical for it. New Denso or NGK ones for your car available for $60 or less. Install is DIY if you have jackstands and the socket to do it.
Yep. After more research, (and my own experience this weekend) I agree. This could be the problem. The needed socket has a slot in it for the cords and looks like this:

It's about $10 at a parts store. Here's the trouble with our generation Accord, though. The upstream O2 sensor, which is right on the exhaust manifold, is in a tight spot. Getting the socket in there isn't a problem, but there isn't room for the actual wrench next to the radiator fan. Since I had already cut off half my o2 sensor, I was able to use a claw hammer, putting the claws in the slot and turning. It worked reasonably well. I have another idea if this doesn't work.

O2 sensors (I think) are generally good for about 100k, so even if that's not the problem, replacing them isn't a bad idea.

As for the main relay, it's up under the dash between the steering column and the door. Don't worry too much about pulling things out. If you pull the wrong one, you can just reconnect it. All of the cables have different connections and only plug into what they're supposed to.

Keep us updated.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your main relay is located under the dash to the left of your steering column...it will be behind a silver box about 3" X3"in X 1/4 in . the the relay will behind it. it's time consuming but and easy fix...Oreilly's has the relay about 20$ cheaper than anyone else....DO NOT get this part from a Salvage Yard!!!!
Old 05-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My o2 sensor failed so slowly as the miles racked up on the car that it never threw a code as it deteriorated, or when it was no longer able to do the job at all. Everything just got old together and the ECU thought the bad o2 was hunky dory. I had noticed the car wasn't quite right almost 50,000 miles before it got serious. By the time it became a drivability issue (bogging under load) I was so sure it was a miss in the ignition system that I spent weeks checking everything in that system but thankfully I refused to start replacing stuff.

I finally noticed a kind of a fuel smell after one of the horrendous bogging drives. Turned out that was unburnt fuel or excess air from the too rich/lean mixture backing up into the system. IOW, my car had been CHOKING, not missing. One night it showed me the final proof. I turned off the ignition and the engine sort of ran on for a few seconds, ending with a sound reminiscent of the dieseling that old engines used to do when they were in need of carburetor work. A kind of desperate exhale; almost like the system was breathing a sigh of relief that the bad mix had finally stopped.

My IACV had been operating on bad information from the ECU based on bad information from the o2 sensor. Rich/lean, it couldn't get it right and therefore there was no way the engine could haul the 2980 pounds, plus me and my passengers up and down the road.

I replaced the o2 and set the idle (I had tried to adjust it during the episodes) and the car has run perfectly ever since. Never had such a small part cause me as big a problem as that little o2 did. Very frustrating. I bet more than a few good Accords got sold cheap by frustrated owners because of that sensor.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by brakedrum
My o2 sensor failed so slowly as the miles racked up on the car that it never threw a code as it deteriorated, or when it was no longer able to do the job at all. Everything just got old together and the ECU thought the bad o2 was hunky dory. I had noticed the car wasn't quite right almost 50,000 miles before it got serious. By the time it became a drivability issue (bogging under load) I was so sure it was a miss in the ignition system that I spent weeks checking everything in that system but thankfully I refused to start replacing stuff.

I finally noticed a kind of a fuel smell after one of the horrendous bogging drives. Turned out that was unburnt fuel or excess air from the too rich/lean mixture backing up into the system. IOW, my car had been CHOKING, not missing. One night it showed me the final proof. I turned off the ignition and the engine sort of ran on for a few seconds, ending with a sound reminiscent of the dieseling that old engines used to do when they were in need of carburetor work. A kind of desperate exhale; almost like the system was breathing a sigh of relief that the bad mix had finally stopped.

My IACV had been operating on bad information from the ECU based on bad information from the o2 sensor. Rich/lean, it couldn't get it right and therefore there was no way the engine could haul the 2980 pounds, plus me and my passengers up and down the road.

I replaced the o2 and set the idle (I had tried to adjust it during the episodes) and the car has run perfectly ever since. Never had such a small part cause me as big a problem as that little o2 did. Very frustrating. I bet more than a few good Accords got sold cheap by frustrated owners because of that sensor.
Yea...so it has to be my O2 then i mean while im idling....it bogs and chokes likes its gonna shut off...gets REALLY bad when i turn on my ac...just got the car...and moneys kinda tight so im trying to do 3 things at one...get a tag pay the note...and try to get this fix..like i said i love the car...pretty powerful and fast. and i wanna tune it. i tried finding the o2 when i took off the exhaust manifold looks like id be better jacking it up. so when i DO change it how do i get the ECU to see the new one thats in. and will i have to fool with it when i get my injectors clean and oil changed?
Old 05-25-2011, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

HEllo,
I do have the same problem,but I did change o2 sensor along with spark plugs and cables. dude at autozone told me that distributor gives me problems, well I am about to check main relay..