Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

D15b2 all motor build

Old 04-22-2011, 12:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D15b2 all motor build

so im pretty new to the scene but ive been on the forum for over a year and have been slowly gathering more and more information.
i was given a 91 crx for free. it was a bone stock STD so it has a d15b2 and an automatic transmission.
my plans for the build right now:
I/H/E
delta cam(dont know what regrind i want because its a DD and id like the motor to be reliable)
mpfi swap(possible TB porting. any reasonably priced shops in so cal?)
port and polish
si transmission
fidanza flywheel
and the body needs a lot of work including a new paint job

right now i just want the little D15 to be a little more aggressive. in the future maybe ill build up the bottom end and maybe follow rushi's build a little
if you guys can give me any pointers it would be much appreciated.
i know i should swap the motor but i would like to keep the D15 for now. i dont want to turbo it either.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:40 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: D15b2 all motor build

Build the bottom end and skip most of that headwork.

An all motor d-series build won't amount to much if you waste time making the valvetrain and head strong but you don't up the compression or anything. You'll be much happier with a stock head and a built bottom end.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ummm Actually..... In an All Motor setup, the head & camshaft will get you most of your power. A decent cam with good headwork will give you much more than the bottom end will. Not sure where you got your info from but that is not correct at all...
Old 04-22-2011, 09:16 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by Madmood
Ummm Actually..... In an All Motor setup, the head & camshaft will get you most of your power. A decent cam with good headwork will give you much more than the bottom end will. Not sure where you got your info from but that is not correct at all...
with 9.2:1 compression I figured one of the first things you'd want to do is up the compression a bit. I'm not saying the head and cam aren't going to do a lot, the build just seems incomplete without at least new pistons/rods. Especially on a d-series with the pencil thin rods.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I was thinking the bottom end would be a little further down the rode. I can't afford boring the block and everything. I just figured to get the most out of the d right now would be from the head And some tuning. Did you guys have any opinions on the tb. I have seen done people talking about boring them but that's as far as the posts have gone.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive never built a motor up but i have a few friends that have some idea of what they are doing. ive read different things about p29 pistons in d15b2. will that be worth it at all. if i put p29s in the motor i should replace all the bearings and everything right? is it really worth it to put the p29s in?
Old 04-23-2011, 02:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ek forever guy
with 9.2:1 compression I figured one of the first things you'd want to do is up the compression a bit. I'm not saying the head and cam aren't going to do a lot, the build just seems incomplete without at least new pistons/rods. Especially on a d-series with the pencil thin rods.
Who is to say you can't up compression with headwork?

D series rods are good alllllll the way up to the horsepower they can't make.
Originally Posted by longhairbro17
ive never built a motor up but i have a few friends that have some idea of what they are doing. ive read different things about p29 pistons in d15b2. will that be worth it at all. if i put p29s in the motor i should replace all the bearings and everything right? is it really worth it to put the p29s in?
Well, if this is your first go around, aaaand it's a d15 (not 16) I don't recommend spending too much money.

How about this, don't even touch the block except for waterpump and timing belt (assuming your engine is in good shape?) and get the head milled 0.04" and drop in a nice cam such as a bisimoto stage 2 or exospeed sr909. The best bang for your buck is going to be from tuning.

Your first priority is MPFI swap, however. Don't spend a dime on anything else until the engine is converted.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:19 AM
N/A
Purpose Built

Waste of money
Old 04-23-2011, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and how is having a gsr swap and only running 13.9 not a waste of money?

99% of stock block turbo d will walk you LOL.

All of it is a waste of money, retard, you just decided to waste more than him.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I think I don't really wanna mess with the block. I didnt wanna spend that much money on the d15 either. But I did want to beef up the head cuz when I do buy an a6 I already have the head and I can just skap that head on wuth a beefier block. What kind of compression could I expect from the head being milled?
Old 04-23-2011, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bgdriver

Stock GSR = no tune needed.

Turbo d series requires tuning which most of the so called Honda enthusiast always cheap out on.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:34 AM
N/A
Purpose Built

Originally Posted by bgdriver

Do you not know how to read?
Originally Posted by longhairbro17
i dont want to turbo it either.
A all motor SOHC is a WASTE OF MONEY, plain and simple

Not to mention I have yet to get walked on by a boosted single cam and I've stayed neck n neck to a 1.6 on a 100 shot spraying from start to finish..so who u kidding?

A stock engine untuned gsr @ 13.9 on 14' junk tires is pretty damn good if you as me

And you'd be surprised what lil $ I've put into my car and I guarantee my engine lasts 4 times as long as his if he goes turbo

Retard
Old 04-24-2011, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im not going turbo. I dont plan on racing it id just like to get a faster engine than what I've got now. I don't plan on spending thousands of dollars on it either.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:40 AM
N/A
Purpose Built

Than just get a full LS swap and sport it, good on gas, and some oomph when u want it.
Oh and did I mention cheap?
Old 04-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You cant really make a d-series "faster" without putting a lot of money into it, and if you plan on spending a small amount of money, just buy a swap.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by N/A
Than just get a full LS swap and sport it, good on gas, and some oomph when u want it.
Oh and did I mention cheap?
Old 04-25-2011, 12:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

all you haters need to bounce instead of being helpful you hate on the mans decision like if you guys are buying the **** he needs lol.

dude the single slammer will keep you satisfied until you want better and bigger things n/a or boosted they kick *** and are fun as hell and a great learning tool for someone just starting out.

i would make sure you purchase a good cam and invest in head work most people go right for high compression and dont realize that d-series shine with headwork.

Originally Posted by egp95
You cant really make a d-series "faster" without putting a lot of money into it, and if you plan on spending a small amount of money, just buy a swap.
you are a dumbass no experience in anything your just talking out of your ***. you got a lot to learn

the guy wants something a bit more enjoyable which is not a expensive goal using the d-series platform don't listen to the misinformation OP.

Originally Posted by N/A
Do you not know how to read?

A all motor SOHC is a WASTE OF MONEY, plain and simple

Not to mention I have yet to get walked on by a boosted single cam and I've stayed neck n neck to a 1.6 on a 100 shot spraying from start to finish..so who u kidding?

A stock engine untuned gsr @ 13.9 on 14' junk tires is pretty damn good if you as me

And you'd be surprised what lil $ I've put into my car and I guarantee my engine lasts 4 times as long as his if he goes turbo

Retard

either way your comment is not necessary in this thread you have nothing useful add to the subject. so your saying your **** was cheap enough to not have enough money left over to buy slicks to run decent times. i doubt it will last any longer being untuned

Originally Posted by mouab18c1
Stock GSR = no tune needed.

Turbo d series requires tuning which most of the so called Honda enthusiast always cheap out on.

totally off topic you must be bored reading owns all of you on here.

Last edited by builthatch; 04-25-2011 at 08:17 AM. Reason: 5 posts in a row needed merge
Old 04-25-2011, 12:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

recipe for a mid 14 second crx that traps just over 93mph no gutting and retaining A/C.
Getting faster than low 14's will require allot of money and isnt a great return. If you love single cams checkout Dseries.org bisi roams that site.

Also si trans is best but if you have a dx 5 speed its still better than a 92-95 si trans

(ghetto setup) works and is reliable just no turning back some mods are permanent)
D152(d16a6 si the best) bottom end in good condition no smoking
88-91 dx and si heads are the same and will handle(jg 301x and gude stage 2 and 2 1/2)
get either of these cams as they run awesome
Mill the head .06(in inches) and you will need a adjustable cam gear
Dc 4-2-1 or jg lightspeed 4-2-1(unfamiliar with the newer stuff) bisi's should do awesome
aftermarket clutch and the lightest flywheel you can find
obd1 converted with p06 computer chipped or tuned whichever you can afford
walbro 195lph fuel pump and a Fuel pressure regulator
Run a D16z6 intake manifold with the head match ported with a stock obd2 throttlebody

Economy(cheap yet very effective) should put you in the high 13's on slicks reliably
D16a6 block with Pm7 pistons with LS rods or Pm7 with stock rods with ARP bolts
88-91 si or dx head milled .02 with valves back cut 7 degrees
bullfrog stage 2 1/2 cam or jg 301x with adjustable cam gear
Bismoto header or any brand thats reputable

if you wanna go faster i cant lead you there i always kept my a/c and full interior and always ran A/c
Old 04-25-2011, 02:16 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by 661rex89si
all you haters need to bounce instead of being helpful you hate on the mans decision like if you guys are buying the **** he needs lol.

N/a d-series are a waste of time and money. All we're trying to do is convince the OP that it's not worth it as many of us have been down that road.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:34 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i PERSONALLY have never built a d15, let alone a dpfi d15. i've seen it done many times online, but my personal experience is nil. i did however build high compression 1.6 sohcs for about 10 years and i think it's a great alternative and cheap too, if done right and if you have the right chassis.

the problem is, once you get to a certain point, you will be spending a ton of money to get incremental gains. but, the basics are cheap and will get you to something like 135whp and a tq number similar to an LS swap. p29 pistons, head porting on the right head and tuning (along with other basics like at least an EX intake manifold and some sort of header)

in a CRX, with an Si/EX trans or a hodge podge custom trans, this would be a really fun setup and like i said, CHEAP. you just have to have realistic goals and again keep in mind that once you want to get stock GSR type power up to say, stock ITR power, you will have to spend a lot of money and eventually it won't be worth it, at least to 99% of the people. the lone exception is if you are a master fabricator and machinist, and can make your own specialized header, fab up an affordable ITB setup, port your own head and do all that associated machine work, etc.

in the interest of cost fairness - i do things the right way, so after 10 years of playing with sohc, i tried my hand at dohc and this is what it cost:

HMO JDM GSR and LSD trans, shipped, $3720
crv compressor bracket $65
99-00 si d-side engine bracket $33
99-00 si rear t bracket $44
timing belt $48
water pump $90
Exedy chromoly FW $250
Exedy clutch $200
Skunk intake mani $200
Apexi GT manifold $330
NGK wires $50
Intake mani gasket $8
MSD cap and rotor $38
SMSP flare, donut and flange $25
NGK spark plugs $8
Honda coolant $8
AEM FPR $120
oil and filter $10
Apexi Power FC and tuning $600
new axles $215

i got the best condition swap i could find, and changed everything that would normally be changed, but to make life easier did it while the engine was outside of the car. and then i got it tuned (i already had the engine management)

if i had to do it all over again, as i sold that car in 2007, i would have done sohc turbo. low pressure and small turbo, nothing crazy. my chassis was way too heavy for NA sohc, and the dohc was not worth it. power to $, nothing beats light pressure sohc turbo for an oft-driven vehicle IMO.

if i were you i'd spend more time on d-series.org and then come here to share your experiences once you decide on what you want to do.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Stock D series rods equipped with ARP rod bolts are good to close to 200whp. Which most N/A street cars will never see. Set your goals for 140-150whp and you should have a lot of fun with the setup.

You guys that are trying to persuade the OP to do a swap need to understand that some people on HT just dont want to do that. Most of you werent driving during the days when swaps were not even thought of. So those of us that are old enough to remember this and had to work with what we had know a re few tweaks and combinations to get some good , reliable power from the single cam. I personally think that trying to make power from a b16 is a total waste of money. But thats me.

Spend your money with the correct parts. Stay away from the egay stuff and do your homework.

Besides, its much more satisfying scooting past a swapped car in the little single cam. It happens more times than any of you think.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 661rex89si

dude the single slammer will keep you satisfied until you want better and bigger things n/a or boosted they kick *** and are fun as hell and a great learning tool for someone just starting out.

i would make sure you purchase a good cam and invest in head work most people go right for high compression and dont realize that d-series shine with headwork.

you are a dumbass no experience in anything your just talking out of your ***. you got a lot to learn

the guy wants something a bit more enjoyable which is not a expensive goal using the d-series platform don't listen to the misinformation OP.

either way your comment is not necessary in this thread you have nothing useful add to the subject. so your saying your **** was cheap enough to not have enough money left over to buy slicks to run decent times. i doubt it will last any longer being untuned

totally off topic you must be bored reading owns all of you on here.
I was totally bored. Had to **** off moron's like you. And you quoting everyone's post was helpful? lulz Captain A-hole
Old 04-25-2011, 08:29 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by mouab18c1
I was totally bored. Had to **** off moron's like you. And you quoting everyone's post was helpful? lulz Captain A-hole
I agree. That guy is defending the defenseless.

sohcs are great for turbos. It's the most cost effective way to go fast and reliably so if you know what you're doing. They're miserably bad for naturally aspirated builds.

Some people just believe it's okay to throw tons of money at the problem, as long as it's a learning experience.

I'm not one of those people.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:45 AM
HT White Ops

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Lets knock it off with the name-calling folks. It is possible to state your opinion without being a dick about it.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:49 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

next person to throw out a personal insult gets handled. this is ridiculous.

Originally Posted by ek forever guy
They're miserably bad for naturally aspirated builds.

Some people just believe it's okay to throw tons of money at the problem, as long as it's a learning experience.

I'm not one of those people.
i'm not following your logic. My last post, and the one below it by Madmood, state facts to the contrary. I see a bunch of opinion in here, which is OK, as long as the focus stays on the OP's query...and it hasn't.

why there is an argument i'm not sure. OP would be satisfied making his SOHC quicker, not some sort of 1/4 mile champ. it has been proven over and over for years that you can make an SOHC quick by OE swap standards for little cost as long as you are resourceful and realistic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: D15b2 all motor build