Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A/C Compressor Oil, where does it go?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Compressor Oil, where does it go?

Hi....

Have a 97 LX Honda Civic, and I'm in the process of installing a new compressor. Needed a new compressor b/c the coolant was leaking out of it when I went to recharge the system. This is the first time I'm tackling an A/C System.

I've got the (new) Compressor, PAG Oil, R134a, O-rings, and a Dryer. I saw on other threads about adding 4-4.7oz of oil to the compressor, and adding 1.7oz to the dryer.

And the guide that came with the new compressor, wasn't all that clear what to do.

Here are the big questions....

For the compressor: Where does the oil go in on the compressor? And the dryer? If I am looking the compressor with the pulley on the right hand side, I've got the 2 spots for the hose connections. One (low-side; bigger diameter), and one (high-side; smaller diameter).

For the Dryer, I've got a "in" and "out".... I'm assuming the oil would go in the "in" (duh ).

Any help is appreciated.... Thanks!!!
Old 04-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A/C Compressor Oil, where does it go?

compressor oil goes in the compressor out put. IF i remember right. It would make sense since the ac compressor compresses the gas into liquid. Its been a long time since i put in a new compressor. But if if was the oil in a can which you pump into the system then it would go in the cold line.

Do not put oil in the dryer. Also install the dryer last. It is used to suck up water in the system. and if you installed it while the system is open it will end up failing very soon.

I hope this helps. I just dont rememebr to much about the ac system since its been a while since ive done one.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: A/C Compressor Oil, where does it go?

xile6:

First thanks for responding....and for telling me about the Dryer...... which sort of makes sense, since the oil is only needed int he "moving part" of the system.

But, I'm still confused about where the oil goes....

... as per the "installation manual" that I got with the compressor, "Install half of the required system oil in the suction side. This may required turning the compressor shaft as oil is installed. The remaining amount of required system oil should be installed in the accumulator or low side of the system".

It would seem to me "suction" is the low side of the system (low pressure; bigger diameter hose).... and it says towards the end "oil should be installed in the accumulator or low side of the system".

Anybody else have an ideas?
Old 04-24-2011, 04:59 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Am I safe in assuming you aren't even going off of any manual with this being your first time attempting something like this?
Old 04-24-2011, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

grumblemarc:

Yep, first time tackling an AC System on a car....

Yes and no.... although I don't have a manual at my fingertips, I have been doing a lot of reading online from various sources, etc.... I've looked at Chiltons manual, but it wasn't much help.

It doesn't seem like its rocket science, I have a basic idea how an AC system works... compressor compresses cool Freon gas, causing it to become hot, high-pressure Freon gas... Freon liquid runs through an expansion valve, and in the process it evaporates to become cold, low-pressure Freon gas, absorbing the heat.

It's not like I've never worked on a car (far from an expert mechanic, but am mechanically inclined).... but I know enough, of what I can tackle. I've done my brakes (drum and disc), exhaust, basic maintance, worked on farm tractors, etc.

Working on cars is sort of a hobby for me, plus a chance to save a few bucks.... when the mechanic told me 900.00, I decided to tackle it myself. I got all of the parts for under 300.00....would love to know the rationale for charging 600.00 for a job that really only takes a few hours to complete.

Just can't seem to find the answer to my questions on other sites, manuals, info.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Here's how you determine how much oil to add to compensate for removal of the old compressor:

Name:  picture_5909.jpg
Views: 3023
Size:  60.3 KB

After the system has been evacuated and leak tested, you can add the needed amount of oil (compressor + receiver/dryer) to the low-side port using a product like this. The oil is added with the engine and A/C off. Vacuum in the system will suck the oil from the can. Unlike a refrigerant recharge, however, you would turn the oil can upside down to ensure all the oil is drawn into the system. Then you would recharge the system with the required amount of pure R134a (21-23 oz).
Old 04-24-2011, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good info. I'm going to be replacing an A/C compressor soon
Old 04-24-2011, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

RonJ@HT:

Thanks for the diagram... and a great way to charge the system with the required oil. Did a google search to find the correct oil for my application here Was going to add the oil the old-fashioned way.... I'll have to check what you suggested out.

I'm guessing from the diagram, looks like oil is coming out both holes.

I plan to evacuate the system (I've had other say I was going way too extreme in getting my system back; but I want to do it right).... I bought vacuum that I can hook up to my emglo compressor and have an a/c manifold set (gauges, hoses, etc.).

I'll let you know how I make out.... (you all don't get antsy.... I don't have a lot of free time to get things done.... but I'm working on it.)
Old 04-24-2011, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone that says evacing the system is too extream really shouldnt be messing with the AC. you have to pull a vac. to have the proper amount to r-134a at the proper pressure
Old 05-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got it done, with success!!!!

A/C is nice and COLD (40-42 degrees).... I ended up buying a vacuum from Harb** ****ght... but found out that Aut* Z*ne in my area does a tool loan. Basically, you give them a depsoit (the price of it for "new") for the tool... When you return it, you get your deposit back.

Flushed out the lines, with an aerosol cleaner, followed the directions. Blew out the lines with (dried air) a shop compressor.

Installed the new compressor, installed the right viscosity oil.

Turned the shaft to lube up the compressor.

Vacuumed out the lines. Make sure you don't inadvertently induce air into the lines. Close your manifold valves, while the vacuum is still running.

Charged up the system with the AC on and running.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hatrick,
This is an old post but I'm having to replace my return hose. I may get back with you on pointers. I'm not paying 6xx.00 for an a/c job when I can do all the work myself.

Good info.