Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Which direction does coolant flow?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which direction does coolant flow?

Out of block into bottom hose, back into block through the top?

Thanks.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which direction does coolant flow? (Ehron)

i think so
Old 03-06-2003, 08:28 AM

Default Re: Which direction does coolant flow? (sshaikh01)

from what i know, it starts from the top hose, flows into the head, then goes into the block, then goes to the bottom radiator hose, into the radiator, then the cycle starts all over again.

why do you ask?
Old 03-06-2003, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which direction does coolant flow? (Mr. Sparkle)

My engine is over heating. I checked the thermostat, and it opened. The fan is not coming on, and the ECT switch is right after thermostat. The fan works with 12 volts so I think it is the switch not receiving heated water. The relay is good. Hopefully my deductive reasoning is not to far off.

Old 03-06-2003, 08:51 AM

does it just overhead when the car is at idle, and then when the car gets in motion, the temp goes down??

if that is the case, the waterpump could be bad, or check if you have low coolant.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its the other way around.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:05 AM

Default Re: Which direction does coolant flow? (Spoon Hybrid)

out of the head in to the top of the radiator then on the bottom of the radiator to the block
Old 03-06-2003, 09:07 AM

i believe coolant entering the engine through the bottom hose and exit at the top. water pump is in the back where the bottom hose is lead to.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:20 AM
In The Garage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its the other way around.
not tryin to call you out, man, but im pretty sure it flows up through the radiator, getting rid of any air pockets. not 100% on this but im pretty damn sure.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:31 AM

Default Re: Which direction does coolant flow? (22lbGS-R)

I don't think so. Think about convection... if the coolant moved from the top of the radiator to the engine, the engine would always get the hottest coolant. The colder coolant would stay at the bottom of the radiator.

More heat transfer from the engine happens if hot coolant enters the radiator at the top and is cooled by the radiator before entering the engine from the bottom of the radiator.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:47 AM
In The Garage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Which direction does coolant flow? (yobtah)

I don't think so. Think about convection... if the coolant moved from the top of the radiator to the engine, the engine would always get the hottest coolant. The colder coolant would stay at the bottom of the radiator.

More heat transfer from the engine happens if hot coolant enters the radiator at the top and is cooled by the radiator before entering the engine from the bottom of the radiator.
you obviously have no idea about how a radiator works. its just a tube going back and forth from bottom to top with heat dissipation fins all over it. its not just one big tank. the water pressure/movement keeps hot water from seperating from cool water. im pretty damn sure im right. i just might go out, pull off my top hose, crank the car, and see which hose it comes out of.
Old 03-06-2003, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you obviously have no idea about how a radiator works. its just a tube going back and forth from bottom to top with heat dissipation fins all over it. its not just one big tank. the water pressure/movement keeps hot water from seperating from cool water. im pretty damn sure im right. i just might go out, pull off my top hose, crank the car, and see which hose it comes out of.
http://static.howstuffworks.com/flas...ing-system.swf

Old 03-06-2003, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

also 22lb, next time your car is hot feel both your upper radiator hose and your lower one. the upper one is a lot hotter.
Old 03-06-2003, 10:30 AM

high low...just like what you want with the temp
Old 03-06-2003, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Which direction does coolant flow? (Mr. Sparkle)

into the block through the bottom, out through the top. the coolant flow down the radiator. like he said, feel the top hose some time.

[Modified by leprechan117, 8:04 PM 3/6/2003]

[Modified by leprechan117, 8:05 PM 3/6/2003]
Old 03-06-2003, 11:59 AM

Uh... okay. Did you pull off the hose yet?

[Modified by yobtah, 8:59 PM 3/6/2003]
Old 03-06-2003, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Which direction does coolant flow?

Think of it this way. Where is the thermo that keeps the cold water in the engine until it reaches temp?
Top.
Therefore, the coolant flows from the top throught the radiator and then enters via the bottom hose.

That is why the upper radiator hose wears out faster than the lower....it has to deal with higher temps.
Old 03-06-2003, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which direction does coolant flow? (Spade)

One other idea... The bottom hose connects to the thermostat housing. The thermostat housing connects to the pipe that goes across teh back of the engine, under the intake to the center of the water pump.

Look at how the water pump works... It spins the water towards the outside using centrifugal force. (Same as when you go around the turn, you get pull towards the ouside of the turn.) To replace the water that it spun towards the outside, it sucks water from the middle, where the pipe is... Into the engine from the bottom hose, out from the top hose... OR Into the radiator from the top hose, out from the bottom.
Old 03-06-2003, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Which direction does coolant flow? (Pele)

Ha! Or easiest.

In the morning when you go to start your car, put your hand on both hoses. Which one gets hot first
Old 03-06-2003, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which direction does coolant flow? (Spade)

Glad I could elicit such stimulating conversation...

Took out the thermostat, and my car did not over heat. The thermostat opens though. I think I have an air pocket. Any one had any luck bleeding air out of the cooling system of a 2000 b16a2? Yes I tried leaving the radiator cap off like it says to.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:38 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't believe some people really act like they "know" something when they really don't..

If you don't know, don't say.

The cooling system in an engine works it's way out of the top of the engine and into the top of the radiator hose...who you think the radiator pressure cap is on top!? Thats where hot water comes in from...
Old 10-15-2011, 01:00 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate to bring this back from the dead but I think this is a very valuable thing to learn.

When you look at that model after clicking on the START button(ignoring the fact that the fan is being spun along with the water pump for the moment), you can see that the water pump is pumping water towards the thermostat. You'll note that hondas use a thermostat attached to the lower hose, instead of in that diagram, where it shows it in the middle of the water pump and the upper hose.

Well, you'll note that when the thermostat opens up the water passes by it and into the radiator and then would(in a honda), go up through the radiator and out the top. This would seem to defy gravity but as everyone would note, if you go to any faucet and open up the water the water comes up through the faucet by way of a water pump located somewhere else. The reason the upper hose gets hot first is not because water is being pumped that way, it's because it's closest to the engine and the water is not passing to the direction of the radiator. It is going from the water pump and towards the thermostat in the back of the engine. Then when the thermostat opens it moves to the radiator. Given this, the area furthest from the upper engine, namely the lower hose is going to stay cold until the thermostat opens. If the water travelled from the water pump through the top of the hose and down through the radiator obviously the radiator would be unable to completely keep the lower hose area cool and the lower hose would get hot within seconds of the upper hose getting hot. The radiator only keeps somewhat cool, it can't possibly keep the lower hose area completely cool.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:06 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
I hate to bring this back from the dead but I think this is a very valuable thing to learn.

When you look at that model after clicking on the START button(ignoring the fact that the fan is being spun along with the water pump for the moment), you can see that the water pump is pumping water towards the thermostat. You'll note that hondas use a thermostat attached to the lower hose, instead of in that diagram, where it shows it in the middle of the water pump and the upper hose.

Well, you'll note that when the thermostat opens up the water passes by it and into the radiator and then would(in a honda), go up through the radiator and out the top. This would seem to defy gravity but as everyone would note, if you go to any faucet and open up the water the water comes up through the faucet by way of a water pump located somewhere else. The reason the upper hose gets hot first is not because water is being pumped that way, it's because it's closest to the engine and the water is not passing to the direction of the radiator. It is going from the water pump and towards the thermostat in the back of the engine. Then when the thermostat opens it moves to the radiator. Given this, the area furthest from the upper engine, namely the lower hose is going to stay cold until the thermostat opens. If the water travelled from the water pump through the top of the hose and down through the radiator obviously the radiator would be unable to completely keep the lower hose area cool and the lower hose would get hot within seconds of the upper hose getting hot. The radiator only keeps somewhat cool, it can't possibly keep the lower hose area completely cool.
( You are the only one right here) 😎
Old 11-20-2018, 07:58 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Wrong, it flows in one direction.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:45 AM
Trial User

2001 Civic

I REMOVED THE THERMOSTAT AND HOUSING. CRANKED THE CAR TO SEE IF WATER PUMP IS PUMPING AND WHICH DIRECTION IT FLOWS. IT PUMPED AND FLOWS OUT OF BLOCK BOTTOM FITTING THROUGH THE THERMOSTAT HOUSING AND DOWN THE HOSE GOING TO THE BOTTOM OF THE RADIATOR. THEREFORE WATER MUST LEAVE THE TOP OF THE RADIATOR AND GO THROUGH THE TOP HOSE AND FITTING INTO THE BLOCK.

Quick Reply: Which direction does coolant flow?