Notices

oil drain line backing up using moroso oil pan.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil drain line backing up using moroso oil pan.

i have a GSR engine with 4 QT Moroso oil pan.

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?catcode=10911

i was taking off my turbo and when i disconnected the -10 oil drain i had oil come out of the line and from the pan. i used 4 quarts of oil which, according to my dipstick, was the correct amount, top dot. my drain comes STRAIGHT down out of my gt35r and then into a 90 degree fitting once the line is on the same plane as the bung for the oil pan.

my thinking is that oil is only partially backing up into my line and still has room to drain but cant drain completely because the bung is slightly below the oil level.

does this sound like a problem or is this normal?

thanks, doug.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: oil drain line backing up using moroso oil pan.

its most likely your 90 degree fitting causing the problem.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kyden
Either that, or I've also heard of the Moroso pans not reading correctly with the dipstick. I know it sounds weird, but I remember something about people not getting correct reading or something. BUT, if you're putting in 4 qts and it's reading good on the dipstick, then it's probably what that guy said about the 90 fitting
Old 04-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kyden
yes. what size line is being used? the problem is that you are having a steady flow of oil come to an abrupt turn. think of it like driving, you are hauling *** down a stright, but have to slow way down to make the turn. same deal here, but the oil doesn't know to turn, so it all just stops at the turn and causes a build up of oil. if at all possible, try to use a straight or a 45* fitting to help the flow stay consistant

or, depending on the size line you are currently using, step up to the next larger size. i personally use -8 or -10 drain lines
Old 04-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My stock oil pan leaks oil w/ 4 quarts from my drain back -10 fitting when I take off th line and the motor hasn't been ran in a while....while the motor is running a lot of oil is sucked up into the head, turbo, etc and that level decreases. As long as you don't have the oil return line facing up-hill (at all) you should be fine.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the input.

I am using a -10 line.

I will likely use a 45 since that should be a simple solution.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:33 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by EG6 Love
Thanks for all the input.

I am using a -10 line.

I will likely use a 45 since that should be a simple solution.
I have a b16 t4 turbo set up with the moroso 4qt pan and the pan for turbo cars is garbage! I have the straightest drain line ever and even drilled holes in front of my drain fitting on the baffle and the oil still backs up.I'm now going back to OEM and welding my own bungs in. My next step was to cut a square out on the baffle to insure no oil gets backed up but I'm tired of messing with it. If you want to keep the pan, I suggest to cut a square put under the front drain fitting on the baffle. If you have somehow fixed the issue and kept the moroso oil pan please let me know how! Lol.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:34 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Uhh, I just use the Moroso without issues? I have used 2 different stock replacement pans (still have one) and currently am using the 5.5 quart sump trap door pan without issue on my personal turbo builds. Have friends without issues as well.

Now, if this thread was about the pan leaking from the pan gasket, then I heard that! Got lucky with my trap door pan though, was pretty straight out of the box.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:45 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by OneBadTurboCRV
Uhh, I just use the Moroso without issues? I have used 2 different stock replacement pans (still have one) and currently am using the 5.5 quart sump trap door pan without issue on my personal turbo builds. Have friends without issues as well.

Now, if this thread was about the pan leaking from the pan gasket, then I heard that! Got lucky with my trap door pan though, was pretty straight out of the box.

This is what i did to my pan

The baffle and angle of the pan is almost positive flow.

Here's my drain setup and everytime I run it I get oil blowing out of my exhaust after 5-10 mins at idle. I shut it off, pull my drain hose, and a qt. Falls out of the front fitting everytime. I have everything vented and turbonetics tells me the seals are blowing out from backup from the drain hose. I also, have a friend with no issues and a moroso oil pan, and another friend who has issues unless it's a qt. Low on his moroso. I have old school mounts that push the motor to lean forward more than most which could be an issue. I'm glad to hear you have no issues with your moroso pan, I think it has to do with my bottom Ramhorn mount and large turbo so close to the pan (small hose) that makes this pan not work for some? Turbonetics told me the moroso pan is my issue, I am going to try out the 5.5qt moroso since you and a few others have had positive results with it and see, with the baffle removed, if it fixes the issue. Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

like previously stated i have had issues with stock pan tapped and having oil back up into it. thats why i was looking at the moroso 4qt pan but now am sceptical. when i go back at im going to try to tap the block for it provided i can get lower than the splash shield i personnaly think thats the proper way to do it. but have not pulled my pan to see what type of room i have from the shields, angle of the line also has a huge effect. also curious since turbonetics uses a filter from the feed line if anyone what oil pressure the gsr makes when your in it as you look at other turbo inlet flanges they are extremely small compared there filter i called them and asked they said you shouldnt need any restriction unless your running 90 psi oil pressure
Old 09-06-2015, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

since you've got the pan out i would fill it 4 qts of whatever, see where it sits and guess the angle you have the motor leaning. if you do let me know the results
Old 09-06-2015, 02:00 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by turbonetics3597
since you've got the pan out i would fill it 4 qts of whatever, see where it sits and guess the angle you have the motor leaning. if you do let me know the results
That was an old picture, it's now Re-installed. When I pulled the pan out I had all the oil in it (4qts) and it was below the baffle level. I put about a qt through the fitting with a funnel when it was on the ground and it stacked up on the baffle and took 30seconds to drain through the cracks around the baffle welds. I then drilled 15holes in it and it just drained easily through them. After Re-installation I added 4qt again and it blew out the exhaust after 5-10 mins of idle. I then opened the drain line and about a quart came out and my oil level on the dipstick was under the low level hole (about 3qt). I again started it and again it was blowing out of the exhaust once it was warmed up. I think once the oil falls from my windage tray and lands in the front side baffle it adds to my drain line oil and backs up once it's nice and hot like taffy? My oil pan compared to the horizon line is almost 30 degrees downward. I do have the restrictor on the feed side and at first I'm at around 80-100psi, once it hits 60psi then the oil starts coming out me exhaust and glorious white smoke, lol. I'm also starting to think I got sent a non vtec pan that doesn't compensate for as well for the angle? Stuck on it.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:05 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Myaccordruns13s
That was an old picture, it's now Re-installed. When I pulled the pan out I had all the oil in it (4qts) and it was below the baffle level. I put about a qt through the fitting with a funnel when it was on the ground and it stacked up on the baffle and took 30seconds to drain through the cracks around the baffle welds. I then drilled 15holes in it and it just drained easily through them. After Re-installation I added 4qt again and it blew out the exhaust after 5-10 mins of idle. I then opened the drain line and about a quart came out and my oil level on the dipstick was under the low level hole (about 3qt). I again started it and again it was blowing out of the exhaust once it was warmed up. I think once the oil falls from my windage tray and lands in the front side baffle it adds to my drain line oil and backs up once it's nice and hot like taffy? My oil pan compared to the horizon line is almost 30 degrees downward. I do have the restrictor on the feed side and at first I'm at around 80-100psi, once it hits 60psi then the oil starts coming out me exhaust and glorious white smoke, lol. I'm also starting to think I got sent a non vtec pan that doesn't compensate for as well for the angle? Stuck on it.

That angle compared to horizon line
Old 09-06-2015, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for replying, the shield i was talking about was the windage tray dont suppose you remember how much clearance there is from it to the bottom of the block. maybe enough to tap the block for drain line.