Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rear View Mirror Removal

Old 12-17-2006, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear View Mirror Removal

My windshield is starting to crack around the mirror lug ( 93 EX Coupe), and I don't want to have to replace the windshield again because of this. The mirror also sits low and can block your field of vision if you're tall.

I want to be able to remove the mirror stay from the lug that's cast into the windshield. I need to be gentle in taking it off since the glass is already cracking. My mirror is different from the illustration in the Helms. There is no cover on mine, and no screw to remove.

How do I remove this without breaking anything?

Here is the picture from the Helms:

Here is a top view of mine.

Here is a view from underneath

Notice there is no cover and no screw to remove.

Mike
Old 12-17-2006, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try pulling it up towards the top of the ccar, weird that htere is no screw though
Old 12-17-2006, 12:59 PM
Not to be confused with "THE MAN"

Mine is the same way ( 95 ex) It just slides up, I think it just has a little spring in it that keeps tension on it. Once I took mine off though it has been loose ever since.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear View Mirror Removal

Sorry to bump this super old post, but the cracking I mentioned in the first post has spread quite a bit. I had a rock chip that cracked also and the crack from the mirror is about to join forces with it. I attached a pic from my cell, but it sucks so I'm sorry.

POS Safelite won't replace the glass under warranty since I "obviously" snatched on the mirror causing it to crack. They would, however, love to sell me another windshield at a slightly discounted price.

I'd like to try to remove the mirror again and possibly mount it where the stupid little center sunvisor mounts to, like the 88-91 civics did. I'm sure I could find a 88-91 mirror for some spare change.

Anyone have more removal tips?
Attached Images  
Old 04-05-2011, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ide be pissed they wont replace it theres no way yanking on a rear view will break the glass the ****er will fall off before that. i have a 92 coupe but mine had a screw in it, and i just took it out
Old 04-05-2011, 12:23 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Almost 5 years huh? There's 2 holes that yo look like you need to insert SOMEthing into to release some sort of inner clamp or spring. Have to tried messing with this in all this time? Is you mirror aftermarket or something?
Old 04-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is 215 really that expensive?
Old 04-05-2011, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep, it's been a while. This windshield was actually replaced in May 2004. I noticed the cracking around the time I made the first post. I tried a couple of times to remove the mirror but then gave up since the cracks were small. Now I'm worried the mirror will snap off if I mess with it too much.

As far as I know, the mirror is original. It's the same one that was in the car when I bought it back on 2001, over 170K ago
Old 04-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the mirror slides up torwards the roof of the car. you can see it sorta in the pics provided.

what my manual states though, is that a clip underneath the base of the mirror is preventing it from sliding up, your suppose to get something hard and flat to push into that hole at the top, it moves the clip away from the base and you should be able to slide it up while keeping that hard flat piece in there
Old 04-05-2011, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Linked
the mirror slides up torwards the roof of the car. you can see it sorta in the pics provided.

what my manual states though, is that a clip underneath the base of the mirror is preventing it from sliding up, your suppose to get something hard and flat to push into that hole at the top, it moves the clip away from the base and you should be able to slide it up while keeping that hard flat piece in there
What manual is that? The pic at the top is from the factory Honda manual, I never checked my Haynes, mostly cause it sucks.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my mistake, i read it from a different source. i have the factory honda manual as well and the diagram above is the only there, (but then again, my manual is for a 92-95 hatch and sedan, not a coupe) but i did find where i got the diy from. its from another forum so i'll PM you the link
Old 04-06-2011, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Linked
my mistake, i read it from a different source. i have the factory honda manual as well and the diagram above is the only there, (but then again, my manual is for a 92-95 hatch and sedan, not a coupe) but i did find where i got the diy from. its from another forum so i'll PM you the link
Thanks for the link. The diagram in my first post obviously doesn't apply to my car. My mirror looks exactly like the one in the link. I'll try to pop it off again.

So, it turns out the "special discounted" price of $215 that the Safelite guy on the phone quoted me was just the internet price that anyone can get. Hell of a deal there, Safelite guy.