Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Exhaust System Recommendation for 2001 Acura Integra GS-R

Old 04-05-2011, 07:41 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust System Recommendation for 2001 Acura Integra GS-R

Hey everyone,

I have a 2001 Acura Integra GS-R and recently took my car to the dealership to get a bunch of work done (timing belt replacement, 90k mile check, etc.). Anyways, I mentioned to them that the exhaust/muffler was making a weird sound at low RPMs and they called to inform me that the muffler has a hole in it and they can replace the muffler for about $500 (not including the labor). I told them to hold off on doing it and realize that I can just get a brand new Cat Back Exhaust System for about $500 and probably take it to a body shop to install it (saving on the labor as well).

I just wanted to get everyone's opinion as to what Cat Back Exhaust System I should get. I've been out of the game for quite some time so I don't know if anything really has changed. I remember I was leaning towards an Apexi N1 or GReddy EVO2. What are everyone's thoughts?

Also, would I have to replace the Catalytic Converter as well if I put in a Cat Back Exhaust System?

Any help would be much appreciated and if you know a good place that sells aftermarket parts either online or in Northern New Jersey AND/OR a good shop to take my car to in Northern New Jersey as well, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust System Recommendation for 2001 Acura Integra GS-R

You dont have to change the catalytic converter but you might as well if your going to be changing your exhaust. Get the high flow magnaflow cat i heard nothing but great results from them. Onto the exhaust it all really depends on the tone of exhaust you want. My favorite exhaust to this time of day is the apexi ws2 it looks stock its nice quiet deep tone and you dont hear it until you get into higher rpms
Old 04-05-2011, 08:47 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

WS2 = done.

No, you don't need to replace that cat for a cat back system. If your cat is fine, leave it alone.

ebay FTW.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Call me a cranky old man, but I have issues with this:

1. Your SN is of a car that never existed.
2. You can't install a CBE, which is one of the simplest mods.
3. You take your car to a body shop to get exhaust work done.

I'll let the not knowing of a CBE to not require cat replacement slip, because I suppose there are still people out there that just don't know and are too lazy to move their fingers to find out for themselves.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Trial User

It seems like everyone is leaning towards the WS2.

Hites - I totally understand where you're coming from. Honestly, I used to be really big on working on cars prior to me going to college and just unfortunately wasn't able to keep up with it because of my school work (and the drinking). In regards to your issues:

1. The SN is a combination of my initials (CL), my favorite number (33) and then I tact on the AMG because it reminded me of one of my favorite benz's (CL55 or CL 65 AMG which I'm thinking you're referring to)
2. I've actually installed a CBE before on my buddy's WRX back in high school, but was using his equipment/space to do it. In all honesty, I would love to install the CBE myself cause it would save me a ton of money, but I just don't have the time, equipment, or space to do so.
3. Unfortunately, that's the only resort I have based on my schedule and my lack of equipment/space.

Like I said, I've been out of the game for quite some time, which is why I'm posting on the honda/acura/integra-specific forums to get your expert opinions and I appreciate all the feedback so far.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Apex WS2 is the exhaust of choice because of its quietness and performance. If you want something MORE discrete, get the Apex NOIR. It's design is based on the WS2, but it's flat black and even less obvious.. Same performance, very quiet.

Noir is on the right.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hites
Call me a cranky old man, but I have issues with this:

1. Your SN is of a car that never existed.
2. You can't install a CBE, which is one of the simplest mods.
3. You take your car to a body shop to get exhaust work done.

I'll let the not knowing of a CBE to not require cat replacement slip, because I suppose there are still people out there that just don't know and are too lazy to move their fingers to find out for themselves.

Show some respect, 16 posts into HT and this is your response for a new user?

1. SN has nothing to do with answering OP's question= FAIL
2. Some people are not mechanically inclined...does this mean they don't deserve a CBE? FAIL
3. A CBE is a CBE, doesn't matter whether the car goes to a tuner shop, body shop, etc. FAIL

HORRIBLE Advice, you just wasted a post based on complete assumptions. Your not a cranky old man. Your a bone head.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:22 AM
Old Member

Originally Posted by CL33AMG
It seems like everyone is leaning towards the WS2.
There was a time I experimented with Magnaflow this and Magnaflow that X2, and resonator this and resonator that.

The best advise I got was WS2=Done. Trust me on this. Your ears will thank you.

Some Ricers may want it loud. It's easy to make an exhaust loud. Not easy to make a performance exhaust "quiet."

And for the WS2 haters that would say, you are paying $5XX for a system that is not full stainless steel.

Ask yourself this, does it matter? Your car is 10 years old. 10 more years from now, you may want something else. I think it's fair to expect a new exhaust no matter what 10 years later.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Apexi is garb get the Greddy Evo 2 lol
Old 04-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Squigget
Apexi is garb get the Greddy Evo 2 lol
Is there any truth behind this statement? What makes it "garb?" Just curious...

Cheers!
Old 04-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

apexi world sport 2. QUIET and DEEP. best sounding exhaust for integras..hands down.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PreyStayShun
Is there any truth behind this statement? What makes it "garb?" Just curious...

Cheers!
cuz i have the evo 2 and it sounds and looks amazing.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Of course...how dumb of me to think that there would be logical reasoning behind your BS statement. Before you name bash learn your facts.

Next time just say you prefer "product x" because it "sounds and looks amazing" not... "x" company is garbage with no real truth or reasoning.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All i see you doing is correcting everyone's errors instead of suggesting which exhaust to get for the guy. I already said Greddy because of the sound and the way it looks. Why don't you stop scratchin your nuts and suggest either the Apexi or Greddy
Old 04-05-2011, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All i see you doing is correcting everyone's errors instead of suggesting which exhaust to get for the guy. I already said Greddy because of the sound and the way it looks. Why don't you stop scratchin your nuts and suggest either the Apexi or Greddy
evo2 is friggin loud and ugly as sin. looks like a canon from underneath. this is a true ricer's exhaust.
only greddy exhaust thats worth mentioning is the sp2
Old 04-05-2011, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ws2 or yonaka replica.

the evo 2 looks a little ricey and sounds like ***. same with the n1,fireball,etc. if you're lowered, then it's less of an eyesore. also if your car is pretty much stock, go with the ws2 or yonaka.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This will be my last post in this thread in hopes we can keep this about the OP.

Squiggly Pie your ignorance and low IQ create an inability for you to properly debate. Don't forget the only error I questioned was in your first thread, in which you mentioned that apex is "garb" (<- because apparently its not cool to type a full word now-a-days)

Here pal, let me re-cap for you...AND I QUOTE:
"Apexi is garb get the Greddy Evo 2 lol"

With that being said, think twice before you pull my nuts out of your mouth with your half-witted retort. You wouldn't be here looking like an *** if you didn't put your foot in your mouth.

/rant.

To OP: Stick with the people who know what they're talking about. WS2 or NOIR
Old 04-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Old Member

Originally Posted by TOO MUCH TORQUE
Nice. I still never get tired of looking at an Integra for the past 15+ years.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do yourself a favor and get a WS2.

anything else is ricey and loud, esp N1 or EVO2. if you get one of those u will hate your car unless you are a ricer. the WS2 has a very nice deep exhaust note, looks very clean, and isnt obnoxiously loud.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been through about 7+ different exhaust systems when I had my GSR. Mostly Greddy and Apexi systems though. Personally, the apexi ws2 was my favorite catback system. Very quiet (almost too quiet), looked good, and performance was minimal, if any at all. I really liked the sound greddy systems put out, but I can't stand behind their product because 2 greddy sp systems failed on me. From the resonator falling apart, to the internals of the muffler blowing out and falling apart. Greddy did nothing when I addressed this issue so I've been sticking to apexi products ever since. If you're looking to make noise, there's the apexi n1, buddy club spec 2, etc. Worst comes to worst, your best bet is to find some one selling their used OEM ITR catback system. Fitment is perfect, quality is top notch, and you can never go wrong with OEM products. Good Luck!
Old 04-05-2011, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PreyStayShun
This will be my last post in this thread in hopes we can keep this about the OP.

Squiggly Pie your ignorance and low IQ create an inability for you to properly debate. Don't forget the only error I questioned was in your first thread, in which you mentioned that apex is "garb" (<- because apparently its not cool to type a full word now-a-days)

Here pal, let me re-cap for you...AND I QUOTE:
"Apexi is garb get the Greddy Evo 2 lol"

With that being said, think twice before you pull my nuts out of your mouth with your half-witted retort. You wouldn't be here looking like an *** if you didn't put your foot in your mouth.

/rant.

To OP: Stick with the people who know what they're talking about. WS2 or NOIR
I didn't understand half of the things you said because I don't really care.

And Greddy isn't a ricer exhaust its keepin it JDM. i said my opinion and you said yours fair deal.

Boss out.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

WS2 ftw! But does anyone know if they make it for 4 door gsr? I cant seem to find any online.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:32 AM
Old Member

Originally Posted by iH8RICERZ
Personally, the apexi ws2 was my favorite catback system. Very quiet (almost too quiet), looked good, and performance was minimal, if any at all.
When it's "too quiet," then it's time for a header. That's what I did.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Man I want a WS2, or a Noir would be even better! Just can't justify spending 500 bucks when my original 17 yr old OEM exhaust is working fine and I have no other engine mods.

So it doesn't really matter if it's stainless if it's made well. Like I said I'm still on the original 17 yr old OEM exhaust, other than my resonator is gone because I had clearance issues in a parking garage during my last year of school in 03-04.