Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

help, '02 CR-V vtec solenoid issue!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 10:48 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 help, '02 CR-V vtec solenoid issue!!

My wifes CR-V has been acting up, and we got the code pulled and they guy said it was the VTEC solenoid, possibly dirty. where is it and can it be cleaned? do I need to replace it and if so, where can I get one?

synopsis- the car, when accelerating, starts jolting or hesitating as if you were trying to teach a child to drive a stick for the first time and they popped the clutch out too early/fast and the car wont die yet. Please help!!
Old 03-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Re: help, '02 CR-V vtec solenoid issue!!

I just found this forum (Mar 16, 2011)... If this is an unresolved issue or if others are having this problem, here's my fix!

I have a 2006 CR-V iVtec that had the same problem. My Vtec Solenoid valve asy is located on the back side of the engine head (facing the fire wall) at the front of the engine (serpentine belt/passenger's side). It sits down towards the base of the head, close to the block.

There are two electrical connectors, one for the solenoid and one for the oil pressure switch that have to be disconnected... I intentionally 'broke' the plastic wire tie-downs because they would not co-operate with me. There are three (3) bolts that hold the asy in place. All on the lower half of the asy... one to each side at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions and one at the bottom 6 o'clock position. Use a #10 socket to remove them. Once you have the little beastie in hand, carefully remove the 'oil screen/o-ring gasket' from the housing. Mine was about 85+ % blocked by gunk. I blew it out with an air hose and re-installed it... PROBLEM FIXED !

Be careful not to slide it around on the mounting surface too much when aliging the bolts to re-install as you might knock grime off the cyl head into the oil passage and have to clean it out again.

Oh, yeah... My hood support was in my way so I found a length of old electrical conduit to support the hood on the battery side and just laid the hood support all the way down across the passenger fender which allowed me to get both hands around the back side of the engine... much better!

If the problem persists after cleaning out the screen you'll have to go to a DEALER to buy a new one for about $100 bucks!

Hope this helps someone.