Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car starts, run for while, backfires and then stalls?!?!?!?!?!?!

Old 03-04-2003, 12:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car starts, run for while, backfires and then stalls?!?!?!?!?!?!

I have not driven my car for more than 50 miles in the past month, so we get a nice day and I decide to take it for a ride before i sell it. Warm it up for like ten minutes, go for a short ride, and I am going down a hill in like 2nd or 3rd and it backfires. So i take it out of gear and it stalls. and now it wont start. It feels like it wants to turn over, but after wont. Sometimes after cranking it, it will backfire with a nice loud pop.
I checked the battery, its fine. I thought it might be the fuel relay, but i can hear the fuel pump priming.
what's next distributor, cap and rotor. I am lost. please help. whats worse is that is that it will be sold in a couple days, and it wont go anywhere
I wound it out pretty good when it was running and no break up or anything.
thanks for the help
later
Burke
_______
Old 03-04-2003, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car starts, run for while, backfires and then stalls?!?!?!?!?!?! (Burke)

do you have a check engine light?
Old 03-04-2003, 02:23 PM
Banned

Default Re: Car starts, run for while, backfires and then stalls?!?!?!?!?!?! (Salvatore Leone)

The rotor exploded. only small bits left now. Perhaps the screw came loose and then boom. Guess I can be glad that it happened to me now, then on the new owners ride home Time to go get a new distributor
Thanks for the help all
Old 03-04-2003, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car starts, run for while, backfires and then stalls?!?!?!?!?!?! (Burke)

damn. you dont need a whole new dizzy. just get a new rotor.
Old 03-04-2003, 04:37 PM
Banned

Default Re: Car starts, run for while, backfires and then stalls?!?!?!?!?!?! (Salvatore Leone)

I just replaced the cap and rotor a half hour ago. but no luck. The shield that blocks the internals of the distributor was all chewed up too. it would not start with or without it. It sounds better though, no backfiring etc. it just wont start. I checked and all plugs are getting a spark, but no start. I have the wires connected to the dist correct, right?? it looks like this, looking from the passeger side
3 4
1 2
The number being the spark plug wire that corresponds with the cylinder.
I also tried jumping it hoping that my battery had lost its charge. I have been informed to call dealerships looking for that guard. Any body got any more ideas??
thanks a lot
burke
Old 03-04-2003, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have your old dist? Just swap the sensors and keep the shaft and case. the plugs may not line up the same but it usually plugs in if the're both OBD 1 or both OBD 2. it only takes a few min and is freeeeeeeeee.... if you got old ****
Old 03-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Banned

Default Re: Car starts, run for while, backfires and then stalls?!?!?!?!?!?! (Bailhatch)

I dont have the old dist, although that is a good idea. I cant see how i would have slipped a tooth. I'll check and see if my cam gears line up tomorrow. thanks
Old 03-04-2003, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fuses?? check em

did you see if any plastic from the sheild is jammed in the sensors? especially the ones you can't see. maybe

[Modified by Bailhatch, 2:26 AM 3/5/2003]
Old 03-04-2003, 07:07 PM
Banned

Default Re: Car starts, run for while, backfires and then stalls?!?!?!?!?!?! (Bailhatch)

the fuses are good and i tried my best to clean up the dist, but i am just trying anything in hopes that it isnt the dist itself. thanks