Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

F22B2 spark plug well oring replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F22B2 spark plug well oring replacement question

Hi,

I’m currently in the middle of the spark plug well oring replacement, but run into a minor problem.

The issues I had was with the reassembly. When I removed the rocker assembly, (engine on TDC) I removed all the rocker assembly bolts and took the cam rocker assembly off. I lifted cam rocker assembly in 1 piece and turned it upside down to remove the orings. When this happened 1 end (cylinder 1) of the rocker assembly came off (since the bolts were not holding them in place) I then put the spring back on and the bolts back on to keep the assembly in place.

Next I replaced the orings and about reinstall the cam rocker assembly. For the most part everything up, and no cross threading when I finger tighten the bolts (from center to outer), I noticed that at TDC, cylinder 2’s cam shaft’s cam (lobe) is in the up. Is this normal? The bolts on cylinder #2 are the ones that have a minor gap.

I have tried tapping the wells with a soft mallet to see if they would fall in place, but I’m thinking with the cam in the up position is pushing up the rocker arm hence the gap.

Should I just continue with the bolt tightening (starting from the center to the outer)?

Thanks in advance.

Jim
Old 02-22-2011, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: F22B2 spark plug well oring replacement question

Did you back off the valve adjusting screws before removing the entire assembly? This could be whats holding it up.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Work got in the way and had to put off this fix

Originally Posted by Jmb106jr
Did you back off the valve adjusting screws before removing the entire assembly? This could be whats holding it up.
Nope. I did not back off the valve adjusting screws. I suspect the cam shaft lobe on spark plug #2 is pushing up the rocker assembly.

The cam rocker assembly and valve adjusters can be moved side to side when the bolts are finger tighted except for the adjusters on spark plug 2.
I'm wondering if I need to the crack shaft slightly clockwise to lower the lobes on #2 so its not pushing up on the adjusters. Are all the valve adjusters suppose to be loose?

Here are some pics.

Rocker gap at spark plug #2 (slightly tighten)

Rocker gap comparison plug #2 and plug #3

Rocker without any tightening

Cam Shaft (notice lobeson spark plug well #2) (this is at tdc)

Side view of cam shaft notice lobes near spark plug #2 (this is at tdc)
Old 03-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm lost in the information.

What is the problem, exactly?
Old 03-04-2011, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd probably be more concerned about the condition of the cam lob on what looks to be cylinder 1. What happened?
Old 03-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=zsnarl;44794036]Work got in the way and had to put off this fix

Nope. I did not back off the valve adjusting screws. I suspect the cam shaft lobe on spark plug #2 is pushing up the rocker assembly.

The cam rocker assembly and valve adjusters can be moved side to side when the bolts are finger tighted except for the adjusters on spark plug 2.
I'm wondering if I need to the crack shaft slightly clockwise to lower the lobes on #2 so its not pushing up on the adjusters. Are all the valve adjusters suppose to be loose?

Here are some pics.

Rocker gap at spark plug #2 (slightly tighten)

Rocker gap comparison plug #2 and plug #3

Rocker without any tightening

Cam Shaft (notice lobeson spark plug well #2) (this is at tdc)

Side view of cam shaft notice lobes near spark plug #2 (this is at tdc)
[/QU

This might be of help it is a link from the FAQ section. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...lug+tube+seals. The cam lobes will be pushing up on the rocker arm which will be push down on the valve. you should rotate that engine counter clockwise thats the way it runs, and you will need to do a valve adjustment on it also.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by phootbag
I'd probably be more concerned about the condition of the cam lob on what looks to be cylinder 1. What happened?
You are right that cam lobe has some defects looks like nicks. The lobe just to the right of #2 in the first pic.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll have to check the first cam lobe later tonight or tomorrow. I'm hoping its just dust and or oil that dropped on the lobe. I had the rocker engine open for a few days with the valve cover off.

Step 2: Position number one piston at Top Dead Center (TDC)

1- Remove the timing mark inspection plug.
2- Place the number one piston (closest to the drivebelt end of the engine) at Top Dead Center (TDC) on the compression stroke.
To do so, rotate the crankshaft pulley clockwise until the timing pointer on the block lines up with the TDC mark on the flywheel. The distributor rotor should be pointing toward the number one spark plug wire terminal on the distributor cap. If it isn't, rotate the engine one complete turn and realign the marks.
I guess as per the faq, turning the crackshaft pully from the service hole in the rear driver's wheel well will rotate the engine counter clockwise?

My question now is, can i finger tighten the rocker assembly turn the engine abit so the cam lobes on the second spark plug go down?
Old 03-05-2011, 02:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If the cam and crank are at TDC on cylinder 1 there is no reason to be concerned with the number 2 cam lobes.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool. It just seemed like the number 2 cam lobes were too high, and most of the tutorials say the adjusters should be loose.

The cam shaft pulley has the up arrow pointing up, but I will double check the two edge marks on the cam shaft pulley on the upper timing belt cover side tonight.