Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Checklist for H22/H23 swap into cd5/cd7

Old 02-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checklist for H22/H23 swap into cd5/cd7

I know there is tons of confusion on the forums due to misinformation being shared by bad members.

As I'm getting ready to put together my swap here is what i have gathered, feel free to add things i've missed out and i'll edit my original post.

Parts Needed:

H22/H23 of your choice
there is dozens of motor resellers online (i am doing an OBDII motor into an OBDII car)

Correct wiring harness (obd1 motor use a obd1 harness or be able to modify accordingly)

ECU -
OBD1 - P28
OBD2 - P13 (found in 96 manual trans preludes)

H-F series transmissions both work

Axles-
use either prelude axles and intermediate shafts -OR- accord axles and intermediate shafts.

Mounts-
Rear-Front-Passenger side Accord Mounts
Drivers side Prelude Mount (will need slight grinding to fit)

AC-
use the ac compressor and bracket from your accord, if you decide to retain your ac i've read its best to use the main crank pulley from your accord, if you do not keep ac, this won't matter.

Power Steering-
this is where it gets tricky. i've read 4 different things a dozen times or more. you can either A. use the pump/bracket that came with the donor motor and have the line spliced with your existing line. B. 97+ prelude bracket and accord line/pump is suppose to work. C. i've also read if your H-swap came from an 94-97 SiR accord originally you can actually use your existing line/pump/bracket.

ps. if there is anything i'm missing let me know, it will help not only myself out, but other members that stumble across this thread.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Checklist for H22/H23 swap into cd5/cd7

I did the h22 swap in my cd5 one week ago, let me chime in:

Originally Posted by eg2wes
Mounts-
make sure you get the mount from a 92-96 prelude (somehow i know a 97+ does not fit)

AC-
use the ac compressor and bracket from your accord, if you decide to retain your ac i've read its best to use the main crank pulley from your accord, if you do not keep ac, this won't matter.
i used the h22 crank pulley (i figured keeping the same pulley on the same crankshaft is better for balance of the engine) used accord compressor and bracket and a belt about an inch shorter than the accord one.

Power Steering-
this is where it gets tricky. i've read 4 different things a dozen times or more. you can either A. use the pump/bracket that came with the donor motor and have the line spliced with your existing line. B. 97+ prelude bracket and accord line/pump is suppose to work. C. i've also read if your H-swap came from an 94-97 SiR accord originally you can actually use your existing line/pump/bracket.
besides the fact i broke my ps reservoir...my swap is a 97 jdm obd1, the pump that came with it is identical to the accord pump, so no problem with the line fitting. now the bracket that came with the motor is a no go, as well as the accord bracket. i am not sure if the 97 jdm bracket is the same as the usdm or if my swap just came with the wrong bracket (it was seperate)

I was able to use the fuel rail that came with my swap, but had to grind down the "horns" where the fuel line connects to get it to work.

I also used the skunk2 intake manifold, which i believe made the swap much easier/cleaner because i didn't have to worry about iab and it cleaned up the vacuum hose installation a little bit. There was a little issue trying to find an intake that would work with that manifold and 70mm throttle body (they sit extremely close to the firewall) but i got a little creative.

everything else is pretty much wiring and making sure you tighten up all bolts, etc. good luck!
Old 02-22-2011, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was unaware of any issue regarding the fuel rail.

and since you did a obd1 swap into an obd2 car, exactly what plugs did you have to convert to use your stock harness?
Old 02-23-2011, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ive heard of the hasports custom wiring harness that functions as a plug and play pre-modded application for the accord swaps but i couldnt find it on the site does anyone know where these are available
Old 02-23-2011, 06:05 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Accord FAQ
Accord FAQ
Accord FAQ

97+ Prelude power steering bracket and everything else Accord works fine.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

exactly what plugs did you have to convert to use your stock harness?
lets see... the distributor plug, oil sending unit, i think one on the intake manifold and then had to extend a couple and move the crank angle sensor to the new distributor. the wiring really wasnt a big deal. dont forget to swap pins a6 and a11 at the ecu.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:35 AM
H-T Premium Sponsor

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by PhoenixCD5
ive heard of the hasports custom wiring harness that functions as a plug and play pre-modded application for the accord swaps but i couldnt find it on the site does anyone know where these are available
its actually a wiring conversion that we offer

you send the accord engine harness and the h22 engine harness
we convert them into one plug and play engine harness
The following users liked this post:
Old 02-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon5 Re: Checklist for H22/H23 swap into cd5/cd7

I know there is tons of confusion on the forums due to misinformation being shared by bad members.

As I'm getting ready to put together my swap here is what i have gathered, feel free to add things i've missed out and i'll edit my original post.

Parts Needed:

H22/H23 of your choice
there is dozens of motor resellers online (i am doing an OBDII motor into an OBDII car)

Correct wiring harness (obd1 motor use a obd1 harness or be able to modify accordingly)

ECU -
OBD1 - P28
OBD2 - P13 (found in 96 manual trans preludes)

H-F series transmissions both work

Axles-
use either prelude axles and intermediate shafts -OR- accord axles and intermediate shafts.

Mounts-

AC-

Power Steering-

ps. if there is anything i'm missing let me know, it will help not only myself out, but other members that stumble across this thread.
Name:  IM000032.jpg
Views: 3672
Size:  174.5 KB

Not sure how much prep you're planning. When i did mine, I had a lot of broken things to replace, we didn't find out until the motor was in the car.

Some things to consider. All your seals, gaskets, water pump, timing belt. My oil pan was bent pretty badly, So i replaced it.

I had to replace knock sensor, ignition coil, and a few sensors. Do your best to check. Keep majestic Honda bookmarked.

Name:  ChadSittinginAccordEngineBay.jpg
Views: 4208
Size:  164.7 KB

I had my P/S hose cut (at the metal fitting {pump end}), and then feral'd with a compression fitting to the H22 P/S pump. try and get the routing down as best as possible. I had my P/S hose taken off which took a long time. seems to have no issues now

Your Accord is OBD 2?? hmnnnn i didn't think they came in OBD2....

You can mate up the throttle cable to make use of your cruise control post swap.

Last thing i can think of is Exhaust. My Accord had 1.25" Exhaust which put a lot of restriction from the H22's 2.25" may want to have that prepped.

Good luck
The following users liked this post:
Old 02-23-2011, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice
Old 02-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When I did mine, and I'm OBD1:

-Re-use F22B1 Harness and lengthen a few wires so they can reach.
-Hasport LH mount
-You can re-use the F22 trans on the H22.
-Use all other three stock mounts or get Hasport full mount kit
-97+ Prelude Pwr Str bracket
-Accord A/C bracket

and I believe thats about it to have it in the bay and ready to go.
The following 2 users liked this post by nus_dogg:
Old 02-24-2011, 08:16 PM
Trial User

man i have a h23 swap in a 90 accord in a bind!any idea what model tranny & axels i need to use?
Old 08-24-2011, 11:22 PM
Trial User

Pay attention bro, Accord or Prelude
Old 07-23-2012, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how do people swap a obd2 motor into a 96 accord and still pass inspection?
Old 12-22-2012, 09:09 AM
Trial User

I have a 95 obd1 accord, i have an h23a1 out of a 93 auto lude. I also have a standard lude ecu. what exactly needs to be done besides the motor mounts. i really need some details?