Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Del Sol Map Light And Power Door Lock Rod Help

Old 02-20-2011, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Del Sol Map Light And Power Door Lock Rod Help

alright so ive got a 93 del sol with jdm map lights and power door locks', ive always had odd issues with the driver side door lock and door handle and while im re-doing my interrior i want to completely resolve these issues but have a few questions to help me narrow down a solution

1) when you have jdm map lights which rod is replaced with the new rod? the top rod or bottom rod ?

Reason why i ask is the top rod appears to be working correctly, the issue appears to be with the bottom rod, it dosnt not make contact with the gold "open clip" under neath the door skeleton, it needs to be pulled about 1/4" open before the lock will work properly, i believe this 1/4" is because its not resting inside the goldish open hook inside the door panel

ive tried to bend the rod to make it work but it just seems like its the wrong rod to begin with, ive compared it to the other door panel and on the other side the rod rest within that gold piece and the lock can be manually opened or closed with ease but on the driver side you have to pull the door handle aprox 1/4" and then try to manually lock or unlock the door and it works great

this how-ever causes an issue when i try to use my alarm to lock my doors, i have to pull on the sider side door handle about 1/4" so the door actually locks, this is a royal pita

therefore im trying to find out if that rod i need to replace is one that came with the jdm map lights or its an oem honda rod, i installed the map lights years ago and cant remember for the life of me, the lock was working properly for quite some time but it began acting up and giving me trouble, i just wanna correct the issue 100% before re-installing the door panel and such

thanks guys, appreciate the info!
Old 02-21-2011, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del Sol Map Light And Power Door Lock Rod Help

ups?
Old 02-21-2011, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i tried searching, unfortunately none of the other links i used for how-to's and such for the del sol exist, seems most the forums they were hosted on went under so finding the appropriate information is a bit more difficult than it used to be
Old 02-21-2011, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without pictures, it's kind of hard to completely understand your issue. If possible, try to post at least one to give a better idea of how to help. It sounds like you have maplights and are trying to use the original door cables. When you purchased/installed your maplights did you get two metal rods with them? If so, then you should've replaced the oem black cables that would've been on the bottom of the door handle assembly.

Yes, you can make the oem cables work, but eventually they will cause problems especially if you have power locks. I used the oem cables for a couple of years until I found a set of the metal maplight rods. I was always taking the door apart because my handles, particularly the driver's side one, was constantly malfunctioning.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by visormurp
Without pictures, it's kind of hard to completely understand your issue. If possible, try to post at least one to give a better idea of how to help. It sounds like you have maplights and are trying to use the original door cables. When you purchased/installed your maplights did you get two metal rods with them? If so, then you should've replaced the oem black cables that would've been on the bottom of the door handle assembly.

Yes, you can make the oem cables work, but eventually they will cause problems especially if you have power locks. I used the oem cables for a couple of years until I found a set of the metal maplight rods. I was always taking the door apart because my handles, particularly the driver's side one, was constantly malfunctioning.
ok, thank you, this is exactly the info i needed, the driver side lower rod appears to be the wrong rod, the top rod works perfectly fine but the lower rod dosnt sit inside the gold metal clip, it sits above it by an inch or so, looks like an improper bend, this causes the issue, tried bending it appropriately but no such luck, i mostly just wanted to know which rod was replaced with the jdm map lights, the higher rod or lower rod "while looking at the white clip", couldnt remember for the life of me

i should just need a new jdm map light right for the drivers door, now i get the fun of trying to find it somewhre haha, hopefully find one through an ht sponsor

just wasnt sure which rod's were replaced and which were oem, honestly the top rod appears to be "newer" looking, so im gonna keep searching to be 100% sure before ordering any replacement items