Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Oil turning black too soon?!

Old 01-19-2011, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil turning black too soon?!

I started to notice when checking my oil that it seems very dark after about 1500 mi after oil change. Its a B16A2 and I use Mobil1 5w-30 synthetic. Engine has 149k on it.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Oil turning black too soon?!

wow that's pretty quick! Im running the same oil and haven't changed it in like 6 months??? and mileage is unknown lol...i know i know thats bad but its a d16y8, so who cares haha
Old 01-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

but for real info, best thing you can do is send a sample of used oil in for analysis to see what's going on with your oil. http://www.blackstone-labs.com and http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/ are good sites
Old 01-19-2011, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

vtec kills oil. stay out of it and it will stay cleaner. I know your in it alot in those 1500 miles cause you have a B16. Its the only way to go "fast". I know this cause I had one at one point.

Im not being a dick, just stating the points of emphasis.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^no i know what u mean. since i noticed i've been staying out of vtec, but it feels like somethings missing when i drive lol.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

torque??
Old 01-19-2011, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

remove and clean your oil pan and inside the block , spray a little carb and choke cleaner in their and wipe it dry, spray the **** out of the pan, chances are you have a little sludge buildup in there, so just give her a cleaning, you can also take the pan to a machine shop and they can hot tank it for you or you can clean it yourself with about 3 cans of carb cleaner. this should help and be inexpensive as well.

another thing that would cause it to be black is if your lube tech doesn't drain the oil completely, when you add new oil it mixes in with the old black oil thats in there and turns the new oil black as well.

i also believe autozone carries something you can pour in the engine and it will clean it while the car is running... just read the instructions before you use it.

i know some hondas are picky and don't like foreign liquids and stuff inside of them..
Old 01-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by m_shake
torque??
ya really, if im gonna stay out of vtec i might as well go buy a neon or something!

but really im just wanting to know if there is some certain problem that would cause this like engine wear, etc. If there is no real fix besides new valve stem seals, piston rings etc., then nevermind. but any advice is appreciated
Old 01-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dstappity
remove and clean your oil pan and inside the block , spray a little carb and choke cleaner in their and wipe it dry, spray the **** out of the pan, chances are you have a little sludge buildup in there, so just give her a cleaning, you can also take the pan to a machine shop and they can hot tank it for you or you can clean it yourself with about 3 cans of carb cleaner. this should help and be inexpensive as well.

another thing that would cause it to be black is if your lube tech doesn't drain the oil completely, when you add new oil it mixes in with the old black oil thats in there and turns the new oil black as well.

i also believe autozone carries something you can pour in the engine and it will clean it while the car is running... just read the instructions before you use it.

i know some hondas are picky and don't like foreign liquids and stuff inside of them..
HAHA i am my lube tech! but probably wouldn't hurt to clean oil pan, i think the gasket is leaking a bit anyway.

Oh and i tried sea-foam through my intake, didn't seem to do much
Old 01-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

seafoam cleans your fuel system, not your crankcase.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 00siboy
ya really, if im gonna stay out of vtec i might as well go buy a neon or something!

but really im just wanting to know if there is some certain problem that would cause this like engine wear, etc. If there is no real fix besides new valve stem seals, piston rings etc., then nevermind. but any advice is appreciated
Easiest way to check out oil is to smell it. Mainly you will smell fuel in it which is cause by blow by. Unless you have LIQUID gas in the oil its normal. If its "milky" you have a coolant leak. Also rub it between your fingers. See if it feels "gritty". I am 99% positive there is nothing wrong and this is a product of revving the motor/vtec.

I went to the tack and made 8 passes on fresh oil. Changed it the next day and it was already turning black. Harsh conditions, especially vtec, will wear out and break down oil faster than any amount of miles you put on it.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually its supposed to clean intake valves, lube cylinder walls, clean fuel system, even cure knocking lifters. just what it says on the bottle and also a couple guys at the shop told me to try it first to see if it helped any before really tearing into things
Old 01-19-2011, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93egSLEEPER
Easiest way to check out oil is to smell it. Mainly you will smell fuel in it which is cause by blow by. Unless you have LIQUID gas in the oil its normal. If its "milky" you have a coolant leak. Also rub it between your fingers. See if it feels "gritty". I am 99% positive there is nothing wrong and this is a product of revving the motor/vtec.

I went to the tack and made 8 passes on fresh oil. Changed it the next day and it was already turning black. Harsh conditions, especially vtec, will wear out and break down oil faster than any amount of miles you put on it.
not milky and not gritty, didnt smell it though. probly just vtec.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Putting seafoam in your oil cleans your fuel system? hmmmm
stabil/injector cleaner does that well though.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Read the uses for seafoam on their website, because you just gave out false info.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP what kinda oil filter are you using?
Old 01-19-2011, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no i didnt give out false info, it wasn't thoroughly explained, seafoam is used separately as a fuel system additive and secondly as an oil system additive, if you go back and READ, the op said he ran seafoam through a vacuum on his intake manifold.

As a fuel system additive (when added to fuel tank or ran through the intake) , Sea Foam will clean fuel injectors, clean carbon, gum and varnish deposits, add lubricity to fuel, stabilize fuel for 2 years and control moisture.

As an oil system additive( when poured into the crankcase), Sea Foam controls moisture, gum, varnish and residue deposits.

This is taken directly from the seafoam website, word for word.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motor-treatment.html

Last i heard, fuel is not supposed to leak into your oil in your engine, so if you add seafoam through your intake, its not gonna clean your crankcase where the fuel is not present, same way if you add seafoam in your crankcase it will not clean your fuel system
Old 01-19-2011, 04:42 PM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The main causes of oil turning black quickly are:

1) An older motor/car that you just picked up and the previous owner neglected regular oil change intervals, so running synthetic now with lots of detergents is cleaning the engine out.

2) You take the car on a lot of short trips when the engine oil never reached the desired operating temperature, where it burns off some of the contaminents.

3) Blow-by. When an engine is worn and gasses from the combustion process start to get by the rings and contaminate the oil directly.

Having an engine oil analysis done can help determine what the potential problem/cause might be.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93egSLEEPER
Putting seafoam in your oil cleans your fuel system? hmmmm
stabil/injector cleaner does that well though.

no, putting seafoam in your oil cleans your crankcase, putting it in your gas tank or running it through vacuum on your intake cleans your fuel system.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no, putting seafoam in your oil cleans your crankcase, putting it in your gas tank or running it through vacuum on your intake cleans your fuel system.
I know. But I dont recommend running seafoam through the fuel system when there are fuel additives that do just as good as a job and will not leave a chance for contamination or possibly running "seafoam gas" though a motor.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

isnt seafoam one such additive???? i believe it is, lol. if you're talking about that garbage stp, pennzoil,etc. fuel system treatment garbage that you're supposed to pour in at every fill up id say that those are a waste of money, seafoam mentions on their website that one application keeps things clean for 2 years...anything else is a waste of money imo....i personally think that all those other brands are the same crap just in different color containers.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea I did read that he ran it through the intake manifold, but I wouldn't consider that fuel system since it isnt running through the injectors to "clean" them, but will help clean carbon deposites on pistons, chambers, and possible ring/ring lands a bit. I know one of our master techs at work would use it on his high mileage gsr, turn motor over till all pistons are even, then pour a small of seafoam directly into cylinder and let sit for awhile(he'd do it over night usually). After letting it sit turn motor over w/ plugs out to make sure those no fluid left though by now it has surely leaked past the rings. Put plugs in and fire it up, it'll smoke but that will go away, run till warm. It's a good idea to change oil afterwards since most of the seafoam leaks past the rings into the crankcase. This can really help to free up stuck oil control rings.

Oh and to the dude I jumped on ealier, sorry bro! U obviously know what seafoam does and is for, just misunderstood the context of the statement...if that makes any sense, I'm a lil buzzed lol
Old 01-20-2011, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just an update, im not asking because i have no idea what im doing, just wondered if someone could say "oh, its this problem". i didnt want to start a thread about sea foam. not being pissy, just sayin
Old 01-20-2011, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol, we are finished arguing, sorry about that. lol
Old 01-20-2011, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DRELOC
OP what kinda oil filter are you using?
Mobil1 oil filter

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil turning black too soon?!