See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Squealing noise

Old 01-13-2011, 04:24 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squealing noise

I am trying to see if anyone knows what is going on with my car. I have a 2004 Honda Accord and just recently, I started hearing this light squealing noise coming from my engine area. It sounds very loud from inside the car, but I can’t really hear it standing outside the car. It only comes when I am idling, as soon as I press the gas, it stops. It does not seem to be causing any problems to the way my car drives, the sound is just really annoying and I would like to know what it is so I can get it fixed. I already had the main belt replaced, and that did not help at all. Does anyone else have this problem?
Old 01-13-2011, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Squealing noise

Still sounds like a belt problem. Use a little belt dressing or adjust the belt tension. Sometimes a glazed belt refuses to settle down. New belt.

check:
alternator belt
power steering belt
air conditioning belt
Old 01-13-2011, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MrsR
I am trying to see if anyone knows what is going on with my car. I have a 2004 Honda Accord and just recently, I started hearing this light squealing noise coming from my engine area. It sounds very loud from inside the car, but I can’t really hear it standing outside the car. It only comes when I am idling, as soon as I press the gas, it stops. It does not seem to be causing any problems to the way my car drives, the sound is just really annoying and I would like to know what it is so I can get it fixed. I already had the main belt replaced, and that did not help at all. Does anyone else have this problem?
1. Was the replacement belt a Honda OEM or aftermaket?

2. If the noise is coming from the belt area, it may be the belt if your are not using Honda OEM or a quality aftermarket belt. Or my guess would be the auto-tensioner. The attach image is the auto-tensioner for a 4 cylinder (for the 6 cylinder, slightly different part). It may just be the idler pulley (#5) needing replacement or the whole tensioner assembly (#5). The whole assembly isn't that much more than just the idler pulley.

Btw: Is this a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder?

Originally Posted by andyz
Still sounds like a belt problem. Use a little belt dressing or adjust the belt tension. Sometimes a glazed belt refuses to settle down. New belt.

check:
alternator belt
power steering belt
air conditioning belt
The 7th and 8th gen Accords use a single drive belt for A/C compressor, alternator, power steering pump, and water pump.

Generally, it is best to avoid belt dressing. It'll quiet the squeal for a day or two by making the rubber gummier. The squeal will come back and there still will be gummy belt dressing on parts of the engine.
Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2011, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by andyz

check:
alternator belt
power steering belt
air conditioning belt
x2
Old 01-13-2011, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Still learning as a noob, but I read that accords have noise canceling projectors that should cancel out the noise. If it is a loud squealing noise, it may not be the problem but could be. Feel free to correct me cause i maybe wrong.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Phosho
Still learning as a noob, but I read that accords have noise canceling projectors that should cancel out the noise. If it is a loud squealing noise, it may not be the problem but could be. Feel free to correct me cause i maybe wrong.
Only 7th generation Accord Hybrids had Active Noise Control (ANC), later the 8th generation Accords (2008 - 2011) incorporated Active Noise Control (ANC), you can read about it in these two links:

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/ar...=2004091736965

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=4107

As it states, "ANC significantly reduces certain low-frequency sounds in the interior. "
Old 01-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea i thought i read something along those lines. Sorry for the misinfo and thanks for the correction.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same problem when it was cold. You don't think you here it when you drive but it's there. There is a technical bulletin about replacing a smaller o-washer on the power steering pump that gets dried out and allows air to escape hence the "squeal". The Tech said the o-washer usually fixes the problem 99% of the time. I thought there was a sticky on this somewhere.
I had the dealer fix it and they took 20 mins and charged me $32. The part was $1.35...
Old 01-14-2011, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mastermeat
I had the same problem when it was cold. You don't think you here it when you drive but it's there. There is a technical bulletin about replacing a smaller o-washer on the power steering pump that gets dried out and allows air to escape hence the "squeal". The Tech said the o-washer usually fixes the problem 99% of the time. I thought there was a sticky on this somewhere.
I had the dealer fix it and they took 20 mins and charged me $32. The part was $1.35...
The TSB is for the power steering "moans or whines" when the engine is cold. The noise usually goes away when the engine warms up.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ac...63906_moan.pdf

The OP states the "squeal" is when idling and stops when the gas is pressed, so it may be a different problem.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:09 PM
Trial User

Is there any difference in the belt of model 2004 and 2005 ??
I want to change the belt but the one i purchased is not properly fitting .
Old 01-19-2011, 07:04 AM
Trial User

I have the same problem. The wining noise usually only happens on a cold start. I have figured out that it is coming from the powerstering motor, so it is probably a belt problem.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cvega8233
I have the same problem. The wining noise usually only happens on a cold start. I have figured out that it is coming from the powerstering motor, so it is probably a belt problem.
Click on this link. It sounds like your problem.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ac...63906_moan.pdf
Old 01-20-2011, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah you should change you're belt.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:29 AM
Trial User

I have the same issue on my '03 Accord LX 4cyl. It's not a belt noise, no question. I thought the power steering pump might going out at first, but there is no noise at all when steering and I have never heard any typical whinig noises from the pump or on start up. It is most definitely the idler pulley (IMO). The noise I hear is a very soft, but very high pitched sound of rubbing metal. It's as if the pulley is slightly misaligned and is rubbing. If I look closely at the pulley on my car, I can see the belt move from side to side. It is hardly noticeable, unless you know what to look for. I would start with replacing the idler pulley or auto-tensioner assembly and see where that gets you.

Originally Posted by redbull-1
1. Was the replacement belt a Honda OEM or aftermaket?

2. If the noise is coming from the belt area, it may be the belt if your are not using Honda OEM or a quality aftermarket belt. Or my guess would be the auto-tensioner. The attach image is the auto-tensioner for a 4 cylinder (for the 6 cylinder, slightly different part). It may just be the idler pulley (#5) needing replacement or the whole tensioner assembly (#5). The whole assembly isn't that much more than just the idler pulley.

Btw: Is this a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder?

The 7th and 8th gen Accords use a single drive belt for A/C compressor, alternator, power steering pump, and water pump.

Generally, it is best to avoid belt dressing. It'll quiet the squeal for a day or two by making the rubber gummier. The squeal will come back and there still will be gummy belt dressing on parts of the engine.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Trial User

Please help me ! 1999 accord coupe v6 squealing noise i just changed my upper radiator hoes 10 secs after it started . if anybody has any clue comment here's the video of my actual car making the noise http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDZdR...ature=youtu.be thanks !
Old 08-23-2013, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When i turn on my 90 accord it skeaks new belt by the way an even louder when i turn on my a/c how can i stop the noise help
Old 08-24-2013, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 956api
When i turn on my 90 accord it skeaks new belt by the way an even louder when i turn on my a/c how can i stop the noise help
First, you might want to post in the correct section.....

Tighten the belt(s).