Notices

getting rdy to turbo, what do i need? help..

Old 01-05-2011, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting rdy to turbo, what do i need? help..

I'm sure its been asked a hundred times over but here is my question.
I'm planning to turbo in a few months, i have a 93 civic with a 94 ls motor.
i want to make right around mid 200's for power wise, with about 8-12 psi, nothing crazy. what preparation do i need to do to the motor so it can handle the turbo and also make it reliable, id like it to last atleast another 20K miles, the motor has 98K on it, and the tranny has right under 100K. also should i consider a different tranny instead of stock ls? this will be a DD with a little street action now and then. any advice or links will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by dfJDM; 01-05-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: getting rdy to turbo, what do i need? help..

just make sure everything is clean and in good working order (wich you should all the time) but do a compression and leak down test cause if your rings are getting kinda worn out boost isnt going to help them and if all checks out good then start boostin
Old 01-05-2011, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CanadianEF9
just make sure everything is clean and in good working order (wich you should all the time) but do a compression and leak down test cause if your rings are getting kinda worn out boost isnt going to help them and if all checks out good then start boostin

shouldn't i upgrade my internals at all? clutch and tranny? or is all stock sufficient for a DD with 10psi?
Old 01-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ls internals on a decent tune can hold up to over 300hp so for a 200hp dd your fine and your trans is fine if it is healthy but i would definitely throw in like a stage 1 or 2 clutch and make sure to upgrade your injectors 450-500cc should be fine for 200hp
Old 01-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ls internals on a decent tune can hold up to over 300hp so for a 200hp dd your fine and your trans is fine if it is healthy but i would definitely throw in like a stage 1 or 2 clutch and make sure to upgrade your injectors 450-500cc should be fine for 200hp
will do, what about fuel pump, what size is good for running 330cc?
yeah i dont know about my tranny i was thinking of tryin to get my hands
on a used gsr and swapping my 5th gear in for highway use
Old 01-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have never ran a gsr trans but people actually like them for freeway use also from what i have read and your stock one might work for injectors that small but i would go with a walbro 255 if i went turbo
Old 01-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Compression and leakdown as mentioned... you may need to spend money on the motor but I doubt it.

As for fuel, I'd get a walbro 255. You can find them on here in the sponsers section for around 90 bucks. I would def go with at least a 550cc injector. If you build your turbo setup right and your tuner knows what he's doing he's not gonna stop at 200whp.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and i would get a larger throttle body and port the IM just cause it is cheap and makes a noticeable difference
Old 01-05-2011, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

But you will really wanna use RC450 injectors for safe fuel consumption. You will need a fuel regulator, fuelpump shall keep upjust fine. If not walbor255
Old 01-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

But you will really wanna use RC450 injectors for safe fuel consumption. You will need a fuel regulator, fuelpump shall keep upjust fine. If not walbor255
thanks for all the info man ill start sourceing.

all the turbo side once i get there, i was think of useing a gst eclipse turbo since so many people around here sell them all day for 80-160 in good shape with no shaft play. does that sound like a good enough setup to make 250whp?
Old 01-05-2011, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya that will probably work. im not exactly sure what size those are but a lot of people use them so they must be a decent turbo for a good price.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ya that will probably work. im not exactly sure what size those are but a lot of people use them so they must be a decent turbo for a good price.
yah ive seen guys using the 16g turbo, and another on t3. or something.
either way thanks for the info man
Old 01-06-2011, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and i would get a larger throttle body and port the IM just cause it is cheap and makes a noticeable difference
you said port the intake?? never heard of that, whats a brand of intakes i could buy thats better flowing then my stock ls?
Old 01-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you could get a skunk2 but i have been told that the victor x intakes do good with boost but for just a stock ls with a bigger tb and ported intake will work fine but if you have the money to buy one i would go skunk2 or victor x

porting a IM is when you put a bigger TB then take a dremel tool and make the intake hole the same size as the TB

idk if this helps cause for some reason my this computer wont let me look at the pics their just little x's

http://forums.evolutionm.net/lancer-...-manifold.html
Old 01-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you could get a skunk2 but i have been told that the victor x intakes do good with boost but for just a stock ls with a bigger tb and ported intake will work fine but if you have the money to buy one i would go skunk2 or victor x

porting a IM is when you put a bigger TB then take a dremel tool and make the intake hole the same size as the TB

idk if this helps cause for some reason my this computer wont let me look at the pics their just little x's

http://forums.evolutionm.net/lancer-...-manifold.html
gotcha, my buddy just got a 95 gst eclipse, i saw ontop of his TB is a different map sensor is this the same for ls tb's, my question being, when i either port my ls intake or buy one made for boost setups will i have to add a new map sensor?
Old 01-06-2011, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

*Edit* Double post.

Last edited by blwn95civic; 01-06-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dfJDM
gotcha, my buddy just got a 95 gst eclipse, i saw ontop of his TB is a different map sensor is this the same for ls tb's, my question being, when i either port my ls intake or buy one made for boost setups will i have to add a new map sensor?

You will need to get a gm 3bar map sensor, a stock honda map sensor wont read over 1bar of boost. You just hook it to a vaccume source and wire it into your wiring harness in place of the oem sensor.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This would be pointless at his power levels. Im running a gsr throttle body and my motor breathes like a champ. A stock ls head doesnt even flow well enough to require an oversized throttle body or porting of the manifold. Now porting of the head is another story.

Everyone is going to have a different opinion on trans choices. Im a b16 guy simply for the acceleration. Gsr would be nice if i drove my car more often. And a ls is for when im a grandpa haha. A stage 2 clutch will hold your power goals well and your turbo shouldnt have a problem making 250whp. What manifold are you planning to run?
Old 01-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if it was me i would port it. you will be able to pull your power goal just fine without it but if i was in your position i would do it cause it is free. at least if you have the tools it is
Old 01-06-2011, 05:38 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

An upgraded fuel pump is needed because the stock one will be worked, but a fuel regulator for this power level is not at all necessary as the excess fuel will return to the system.

RC440cc injectors are not the same as DSM 450cc injectors. RC440 or Precision 440cc willl be fine.

Keep the stock internals and look to an Exedy P/N 8950B or a AI4-HDSS ACT clutch for best street feel and ability to hold torque.

For a stock LS engine, a stock LS transmission will work fine without any lag of any sort (as long as the turbo is kept on the smaller side compared to the VTEC cousins.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if it was me i would port it. you will be able to pull your power goal just fine without it but if i was in your position i would do it cause it is free. at least if you have the tools it is

Ok I'll say it point blank. An oversized throttle body wont benefit unless he has a aftermarket manifold, the head ported & polished and 3" intercooler piping... and you def wont be able to tell a bit of a difference by driving it. The most air flow resistance is after the throttle body. It would be like putting a foot section of 4" exhaust in the middle of my 3" and saying it will make it flow better.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh well, it was good advice, im most likely pickin up a skunk2 IM anyways, thanks though. other question, whats a good exhaust manifold to run that has the adapter plate? also thinkin bout getting the head rebuilt ( PnP, valve springs and retainers) for just piece of mind yah know? this whole build is about making reliable power.. not a street killing machine.