Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1997 Honda Accord car alarm

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Honda Accord car alarm

My wife has a 1997 Honda Accord Special Edition. Last week, I noticed that the car was slow to start, so I disconnected the battery cable and cleaned the posts and cables off. Plug'em back in and discovered that the car radio was showing code. Did I mention that I know nothing about these cars? I work on Corvettes and jets. They're a little different. Didn't have any idea what that was all about, so I tried some random codes. It showed err 3. That's it. Okay, fine. I can start it and drive, no problem. Later, the battery dies, so I replaced it. Big mistake. I put in the new battery and the car goes off. Loudly. At night. Late. Very annoying. That's the situation.

1. Is it the radio that causing the alarm to go off because it thinks that it's being stolen? If not, what tripped off the alarm?

2. How do I reset the alarm? I looked on line and talked to a Honda service advisor. I can't find a valet key or button anywhere and the disarm procedure that the service advisor told me didn't work. I don't have an owners' manual or the radio code.

3. With the alarm going off, nothing happens when you put the key in the ignition. Everything is dead.

Other than a tire iron to the car, how does one go about disabling the alarm and allow the car to restart? Thanks for any help that you can give.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 1997 Honda Accord car alarm

Originally Posted by Jetjock

1. Is it the radio that causing the alarm to go off because it thinks that it's being stolen? If not, what tripped off the alarm?

2. How do I reset the alarm? I looked on line and talked to a Honda service advisor. I can't find a valet key or button anywhere and the disarm procedure that the service advisor told me didn't work. I don't have an owners' manual or the radio code.

3. With the alarm going off, nothing happens when you put the key in the ignition. Everything is dead.

Other than a tire iron to the car, how does one go about disabling the alarm and allow the car to restart? Thanks for any help that you can give.
1. No. The battery being disconnect and reconnected trigger the alarm. To enable the radio, you need the security code from Honda, through the dealer or American Honda website or customer service by phone.

2. If it is the dealer- installed alarm, there is a reset button located on the driver lower dash. Press the reset button and turn ignition key to ON.

If it is an aftermarket alarm, the reset button/switch is usually located on the driver side, check under the driver side area such as near the hood release, etc. for a button or switch. Then while pressing the button/switch turn ignition key to ON.

3. The car won't start because of the alarm starter/ignition kill.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I looked all over the car dash and under and I can't find anything that looks like a reset button. What does it even look like? This is a factory installed alarm. We don't have the code for the radio. For whatever reason, my wife likes to throw things away and it's hard to hang on to instructions around her and she doesn't like to discuss it so I am in the dark on that. I understand about the starter disable because both of my Vettes have that. They, however, have a time limit to disable and will automatically reset after so many minutes. I appreciate the help. However, I am unable to locate any reset button and the Honda service advisor didn't mention any reset button. He said that the only way to reset was to insert the door key and turn to lock 5 times and pull the key out. Nobody else said that.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These are the instructions for the dealer installed alarm. The reset button is shown.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/.../18016_04.html

I believe only the latter Honda's factory alarm used the key in the door to reset. All doors, hood, and trunk need to be closed though. Who knows, if yours do not have the reset button, then make sure everything is closed before trying the door lock reset.

When I had a 5th generation Accord, the dealer sold me an aftermarket alarm installed by a subcontracted installer at the dealership. The reset switch was a tiny button installed right next to the hood release.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I looked and there is not any sign of anything like what you said as far as a reset switch. What exactly is the door lock reset? What procedure is required? Thanks for the help.