Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

After a long drive, car won't start. Have to wait 5 to 10 min until it starts

Old 12-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default After a long drive, car won't start. Have to wait 5 to 10 min until it starts

This always happens when I'm finished driving at least a 20 minute drive on freeways to surface streets. The motor just turns over and not start up. Its sucks and embarrassing to be at a gas station just waiting for to start her up again which is like 5 to 10 minutes. When is starts, it runs perfect.

Any ideas? Thanks
Old 12-09-2010, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: After a long drive, car won't start. Have to wait 5 to 10 min until it starts

when it won't start, turn the key to the II position. listen for the 3 clicks from the main relay to ensure that it is operating
if it is, check for spark
Old 12-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: After a long drive, car won't start. Have to wait 5 to 10 min until it starts

From experience I would say it could be the coolant temp sensor for the ECU, if its not registering correctly then it doesnt give it the correct amount of fuel. If it is this, then its a fairly easy and fairly inexpensive fix.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that same thing happens to me sometimes. i just didnt shut my car off at gas stations. my car doesnt start as of right now. trying to figure it out but im not getting any spark.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well, check for spark, if that is good, it could fuel related.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:49 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Definitely need to check to see if it is a fuel or spark issue.

As mentioned, [next time you have been driving and have to turn off the engine] turn ign. switch to run, not start, listen for the two "clicks" of the PGM-FI Main Relay, the first click is the injector relay turning on and the second click is the fuel pump relay turning on [may sound like one click as they are very close together] the CEL will turn on, you should hear the fuel pump run for a few sec., [priming fuel system] after a few sec. you should hear a 3rd "click" from the PGM-FI Main Relay, fuel pump relay turning off, the fuel pump will stop running and the CEL will go out.

If the above is all happening the fuel pump "control" system is working.

Try and start the engine, if no start, immediately remove a spark plug and inspect the end for fuel, is it wet with gas, does it smell of gas, if so, check for spark, ground the plug and crank engine, [have someone crank the engine] and look for spark, is it a strong spark?

If there is no fuel on plug(s), but you did hear the PGM-FI Main Relay "clicks" and the fuel pump, test for power at the injectors, wire that is the same color on all injector plugs should test as 12V+ when ign switch is in the run position.

If there is power at the injectors test for ground pulse, [wire that is a diff. color at each injector] or have someone crank the engine while you listen/feel for the injector to pulse, [click].

If there is no or poor spark, first make sure all the connections in the distributor, [to ICM and coil] are tight, test the coil and ICU, both are susceptible to heat.

Keep in mind any of the tests above have to be done inside that 5-10 min. window when engine will not start. 94
Old 12-13-2010, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks FCM. I'll check this on the weekend. I have day job and I don't drive it on and off during the day. Because I fear it not starting if I go out to lunch.

I'm pretty sure I hear clicks when set to run position but I don't remember how many clicks. We'll see. Thanks
Old 12-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my brother had it. He had no spark. It was the ignitor but we changed the distributor and problem fixed.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:43 AM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like the main relay to me. It's a common Honda problem.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

might be fuel pump.. it gets hot and it wont function right
Old 12-13-2010, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The coolant temp sensor would be an easy place to start, and I know several occasions it has solved problems with the same symptoms.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes. i think that is the main Relay..
Old 12-16-2010, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm

As mentioned, [next time you have been driving and have to turn off the engine] turn ign. switch to run, not start, listen for the two "clicks" of the PGM-FI Main Relay, the first click is the injector relay turning on and the second click is the fuel pump relay turning on [may sound like one click as they are very close together] the CEL will turn on, you should hear the fuel pump run for a few sec., [priming fuel system] after a few sec. you should hear a 3rd "click" from the PGM-FI Main Relay, fuel pump relay turning off, the fuel pump will stop running and the CEL will go out.

"listen for the two "clicks" of the PGM-FI Main Relay" It sounded like one. The CEL did turn on. I heard the last click and that humming sound which is I guess the fuel pump turning off. And the CEl went off too.

^this operates when the car will start quickly normally. But when I'm in that situation when it just cranks, I don't hear the clicks and the fuel pump prime at all. Still have to wait a couple of minutes to start her up normally. From then I hear all the clicks and fuel pump priming.

So whats up with this?
Old 12-17-2010, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 12-17-2010, 10:06 AM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by el crapitan
when it won't start, turn the key to the II position. listen for the 3 clicks from the main relay to ensure that it is operating
Originally Posted by fcm
turn ign. switch to run, not start, listen for the two "clicks" of the PGM-FI Main Relay, the first click is the injector relay turning on and the second click is the fuel pump relay turning on [may sound like one click as they are very close together] the CEL will turn on, you should hear the fuel pump run for a few sec., [priming fuel system] after a few sec. you should hear a 3rd "click" from the PGM-FI Main Relay, fuel pump relay turning off, the fuel pump will stop running and the CEL will go out.
Originally Posted by 2LEM1
Sounds like the main relay to me. It's a common Honda problem.
Originally Posted by jdm_646
Yes. i think that is the main Relay..

Ummmm, have you checked the Main Relay???
Old 12-17-2010, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm

Try and start the engine, if no start, immediately remove a spark plug and inspect the end for fuel, is it wet with gas, does it smell of gas, if so, check for spark, ground the plug and crank engine, [have someone crank the engine] and look for spark, is it a strong spark?

If there is no fuel on plug(s), but you did hear the PGM-FI Main Relay "clicks" and the fuel pump, test for power at the injectors, wire that is the same color on all injector plugs should test as 12V+ when ign switch is in the run position.

If there is power at the injectors test for ground pulse, [wire that is a diff. color at each injector] or have someone crank the engine while you listen/feel for the injector to pulse, [click].

If there is no or poor spark, first make sure all the connections in the distributor, [to ICM and coil] are tight, test the coil and ICU, both are susceptible to heat.

Keep in mind any of the tests above have to be done inside that 5-10 min. window when engine will not start. 94
x2
Old 12-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This was just happening to me... I will bet any amount of money it is your coolant temp sensor...
run your car until NOT unplug the coolant temp sensor (the 2 wire sensor on the head under the distributor) check the resistance with a ohmmeter.
you have to check the resistance when it is hot because thats what tells the comp if it is a cold start or not and allows the ecu to start adjusting fuel trim. try it at your house you should smell a strong odor of fuel when you go to restart the car when its warm.

all that is happening is the motor is being flooded because the ecu is registering a cold start and is adding more fuel than it should...

let me know if this helps
Old 12-17-2010, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its definitely the ect sensor. have you noticed any difference in gas milage? or weird idling sometimes?

i thought the main relay thing would be if its hot out outside not driving
Old 12-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2LEM1
Ummmm, have you checked the Main Relay???
Yes I'll try this first. If that doesn't fix it, the next will be the Engine coolant temp sensor as what others said it might be. I never changed that one out before. Luckily I have the Acura manual.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

happen twice to me first its was the coil in distributor it get to hot car will start but not stay on until coil cools down

second was main relay will start and shut off right away then it feels like there no fuel to restart the car

relay is cheapest to replace go to junk yard but since u said it take 5 to 10 min to restart try finding a coil
Old 05-14-2015, 07:16 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by 91akira
This always happens when I'm finished driving at least a 20 minute drive on freeways to surface streets. The motor just turns over and not start up. Its sucks and embarrassing to be at a gas station just waiting for to start her up again which is like 5 to 10 minutes. When is starts, it runs perfect.

Any ideas? Thanks
Old 05-14-2015, 07:21 AM
Trial User

I have a 2000 honda accord....it starts fine but after driving it for a while it would restart then cut off...I had to wait 1 - 2 hrs then it would restart and run fine. ...took it to the honda dealer they said it was the canister....they were wrong...I took it to a local mechanic ( hopper machanic )...he changed 2 coil packs but he said my main issue was the throttle an IAC valve...he cleaned that....it's been three months with no problems
Old 05-14-2015, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your ignition switch at the key is going bad. Your have keys and heat cause it to short out. .
Old 05-14-2015, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

$5 says it's the distributor coil or icm.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump, in for main relay. What happens is the solder on the circuit board gets cracks and separates when heated. It cools and the cracks come closer together, thus allowing you to start the car. Had this issue many times on integra/accord

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: After a long drive, car won't start. Have to wait 5 to 10 min until it starts