Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Driver window wont roll up! Please help!

Old 11-28-2010, 02:38 AM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon6 Driver window wont roll up! Please help!

So in my 1996 Accord I rolled my driver side window
all the way down and it wont go up..when I use the other buttons like for the passenger side window or backseat windows on the driver door they work but the driver one doesn't! If I could get it up, I can leave it up, but I can't afford to buy anything super expensive right now to fix it..is there a simple way?!

Please help me!

Thanks,
Tiffany
Old 11-28-2010, 02:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Driver window wont roll up! Please help!

you will have to take off the door card, once you have done this you might be able to push it up from the bottom of the window. the reg could be gone or the cable broken..... if the cable is broken you should be able to push the window up from the bottom. once the window is up you will have to jam something down the side between the window and door when the card is back on to hold it there, otherwise it will just fall down again....hold the window up by just pushing up with full hand while you jam something between the door and window, something like rubber will work as it will hold against the glass
Old 11-28-2010, 07:00 AM
Trial User

Okay, i will try this, thank you!
The following users liked this post:
Old 11-29-2010, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

once you have the door panel off, and if the regulator cables seem to be okay, try applying 12V from the battery to the wiring connector for the window motor. try both polarities to see if you can get the motor to lift the glass. if it works, you most likely need a new switch. you can test the switch by attaching voltmeter leads to the window motor harness (body side of harness) and pressing the switch. if you have 12v when you press the switch, and negative 12volts when you press it the other way, the switch is good. if the motor worked in the previous "hot wiring" step, the switch should check out bad.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just curious, when it did work was it real slow and sound weak? My mom has the same car and she's always telling me the window is so slow going up, more so when it's cold obviously. or did yours just stop working out of nowhere?

Sean
Old 12-01-2010, 03:05 AM
Trial User

Same here. Common problem, should be a common fix. Anybody?
Old 12-01-2010, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitroslut
Same here. Common problem, should be a common fix. Anybody?
Usually the window regulator/motor assembly needs to be replaced. But, sometimes it the switch. More likely the regulator/motor if the windows goes down and stays down.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Trial User

Yes, My02accord, my windows have been slow for a while..and now the driver side just randomly will go down but not up..

I took the door panel or card off and tried pushing it up from the bottom, it wouldn't budge! At all! Then the switch randomly worked, so maybe it works when it wants too?! Except now someone accidently rolled it back half way down and I can't get it up, its been a few days and its cold!

PLEASE HELP..sgraham01, can you explain an easier way to at least get it up?
I know you did and thank you, but I don't know a thing about cars, and I don't understand..

If anyone else can help me..please explain!

Thanks so much,
Tiffany!
Old 12-02-2010, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tiffanyaa
Yes, My02accord, my windows have been slow for a while..and now the driver side just randomly will go down but not up..

I took the door panel or card off and tried pushing it up from the bottom, it wouldn't budge! At all! Then the switch randomly worked, so maybe it works when it wants too?! Except now someone accidently rolled it back half way down and I can't get it up, its been a few days and its cold!

PLEASE HELP..sgraham01, can you explain an easier way to at least get it up?
I know you did and thank you, but I don't know a thing about cars, and I don't understand..

If anyone else can help me..please explain!

Thanks so much,
Tiffany!
Hi Tiffany,

Normally, you won't be able to easily push up the window with the regulator, unless you removed the two 10mm bolts holding the window to the regulator first. Sounds like it might be your switch. Try cleaning the switch with some electrical cleaner or carburetor cleaner, or even use some Q-tips and rubbing alcohol to try to clean the switch. Unplug the switch, and clean the bottom electrical contacts and the top areas of the switch (it maybe gummed up with grime).

If no luck there, test the motor. If the motor is working, unplug the motor electrical connector and apply battery power as shown in the attached image to get the window up. Normally 12 volt battery power is used; however, power from a 9 volt battery may also work.

If it turns out to be the switch and cleaning doesn't change anything, go look for the switch through a salvage yard, ebay, etc. if you are trying to go a less expensive route.

Good luck!

Btw: It is a door panel not card.
Attached Images  
Old 12-02-2010, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

go ahead and power the motor at the connector as shown above. that should get it up if your problem is random. most likely the switch if you are having a random problem. once you have it up leave it unplugged until you can fix it, so it doesn't get stuck down again.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If your windows are slow, try getting some spray silicone lubricant and spraying it into the rubber tracks. This will lubricate the windows and also help to keep them from going off track.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just had this exact issue on my 94. I managed to get the window back up by removing the power window module (remove screw from driver's arm rest, in the plastic tray, and the switch mount can be levered out) and un-plugging it. Then applied 12V to the driver's motor contacts.

In my case the electronics in the module were blown. An aftermarket replacement cost around $60.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:07 PM
Trial User

Hmm I tried cleaning the switch..that didn't work, but I cant promise I did that right,
where do you get battery like yall are talking about? I don't know how to do that..Should I take it to someone?

Thanks again to everyone,
Tiffany
Old 12-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm I tried cleaning the switch..that didn't work, but I cant promise I did that right,
where do you get battery like yall are talking about? I don't know how to do that..Should I take it to someone?

Tiffany
Trying using a 9 volt battery first with wire taped to it to see if that works first. You most likely already have one.

Otherwise, go to Target, Walmart, etc. and buy a 12 volt battery (A23) for garage door opener remotes, alarm remotes, etc. This link shows what I am talking about.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...TP9X8S17DSADM8

I use a 12 volt lantern battery; but, it cost more and use it for other things too. Buying it for a one time use is not really worth it. I bought mines from Radio Shack; but, some hardware stores, etc. carry it too.

Or just hook some long speaker wire from the car battery to the motor connector. Just be careful of not touching the wires together.
Attached Images   
Old 12-02-2010, 11:11 PM
Trial User

So how do I connect the battery to the switch or whatever?
or what exactly do I connect it to?
Old 12-02-2010, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Should I take it to someone?

Tiffany
NO! You can do this.

My car had this problem it ended up needing a master switch and a window regulator.

It will cost less than $100 to fix if you do it. It will be a lot more if you take it to someone.

In the mean time I screwed a long bolt that threads into the white plastic glued to the window glass itself.

Heres what to do for a temporary solution.

I inserted the bolt through a circular hold about a 1/4" wide. When you do this the window will be in a permanently closed position.
Originally Posted by gianinline
In order to do this you need to remove the regulator.

Equipped with a socket set, a screw driver set and patience you can easily do this yourself.

Here is a great DIY on how to remove the door card.

Originally Posted by gianinline
So let's start, in this case, i'm working on a front door for a sedan, although the shape is different, the process is the same for a coupe, and as for the rear doors, it's even easier to get this job done.
In reference to the pic below, the circle "5" is something optional, i'm used to taking off and reinstalling a honda's door panel without having to pop the small little piece.

At the door handle, use something small to flip over this cover which reveals a screw that needs to be removed.

Now, slide the door handle forward (you will feel it once it's loose.
Also, the inner cover for the rear view mirror needs to be removed, pull it out.

Behind the door handle, slide this piece the other way and lift up the rod. Disconnect the wiring behind it also.

The center "pocket" that you use to pull the door close has a small cover inside, you need to flip that over and remove the screw. Take that little pocket out.

Then the door panel should be looking like this, now, from the bottom of the door panel, start pulling it out, and proceed pulling it upwards. Don't lift too far away from the door because you need to disconnect the courtesy light behind the door panel.

Now, reconnect the door handle's wiring (at least the one that controls the window).
Inside the "box", there are 2 circles, they refer to the location of the two 10mm bolts that secure the glass window to the regulator.
The lower circle on the right side is the 10mm bolt that keeps the window channel in place, you will remove it once you take the glass out.
So here's the trick, you're going to put your window all the way up...

...then you're going to remove these 2 bolts.

Be very careful holding the glass, and press the switch and "lower the window" all the way down. The front glass is fairly easy to be removed, you need to "dive" the front inside the door (the glass with be in a vertical position), and next thing you know, you just need to pull it out. Then, remove that bolt that holds the window channel and get the rubber off of it.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:17 AM
Trial User

My window switch/button is not next to the door handle..its located in the arm rest..so is the procedure different?!
Old 12-03-2010, 01:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My window switch/button is not next to the door handle..its located in the arm rest..so is the procedure different?!
The pictures are of a passenger door. The only difference in procedure is just a few more wires to unplug.

When you get the door panel off, you can flip it upside down and unscrew the two phillips head screws holding in the switch from the bottom.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe these pictures will help you if one of us isnt on when you have another question:

Source:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...NT+DOOR+LINING

Source:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...NT+DOOR+WINDOW
Old 12-03-2010, 01:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The parts on your car that I suspect are broken:

-Master Window Switch (Number 5 or 42 in the bottom right corner of the first picture)

Here is a used one (I personally would buy used due to the $30 price difference but its your call..):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1990-...Q5fAccessories

Here is a new one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-...Q5fAccessories

-Window Regulator (Number 3 or 10 in the bottom middle area of the second picture)

Used ($20 cheaper):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-97...item563e79d389

New (Comes with a warranty but it is more prone to break since its probably made with lesser quality materials..):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-97...item4153e919cb
Old 12-03-2010, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So how do I connect the battery to the switch or whatever?
or what exactly do I connect it to?
See this image.
Attached Images  
Old 11-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm having same issue on 1997 Honda Accord - have replaced fuse, replaced switch (all other windows work but not driver's side), and bought new motor/regulator (which I plugged in but switch does not produce any action from motor, so haven't installed) Last the window worked, it would go down but not up. Now no action at all. Advice anyone?
Old 05-07-2017, 12:24 PM
Trial User

have the door panal off and trying to get the window up. do I have to worry about electric