Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

I discovered a viper alarm that I didn't know was installed. Now its a problem.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I discovered a viper alarm that I didn't know was installed. Now its a problem.

Hello HT. So I found out my teg has some kind of a viper alarm system installed in it.

I found a switch to something under the dash that i didn't put there. So I messed with it a bit as anyone would and I guess I armed the system.

I didnt know I armed it. I got out of my teg, shut the door, got ten feet away and it locked its self and the anti theft light just continually flashes.

So I went back to open the door and after I unlocked the door and opened it the alarm starts going nuts. Every light imaginable starts flashing(interior and exterior) and all kinds of sirens were going off. I was like holy **** what have I done.

I jumped in and put the key in the ignition and nothing. Tired to start it and nothing. Then I started messing with the switch I found and it did nothing.

Eventually the alarm shut up. I was like ok maybe the battery died or something(hoping against hope) and sure enough about 5 seconds later it fired back up and wouldnt shut up.

Then it went off on its own again and I tried to start the car and it started. I was like ok now whats going to happen. Am I about to get electricuted or sprayed with mase or what?

So I shut the car off, got out, closed the door, walked away and as soon as i was ten or fifteen feet away the doors locked, all the exterior lights flashed and the anti theft light started continually blinking again.

Thats how the car currently sits. I am scared to look at it the wrong way now because I dont want it to go off again. I dont have a remote for it, but I assume the viper system had one originally. I plan to call viper tomorrow to see if they can help me.

I called the previous owner and all he could tell me was that he knew it was there, but he never used it. He said the previous owner installed it and thats all he knew.

PLEASE HELP ME IF YOU CAN. Thanks guys.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I discovered a viper alarm that I didn't know was installed. Now its a problem.

when u unlocked ur door, did u do it with the alarm pad or by putting the key in the door? if u did it the second way, i guess u alarmed ur car by the switch. use the keypad. g/l, hope this helps
Old 11-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I discovered a viper alarm that I didn't know was installed. Now its a problem.

well to shut it off and hopefully dis-arm it you can pop the hood and disconnect the negative battery cable. Like you said call viper and see if they can get you a new remote or something.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by joss731
when u unlocked ur door, did u do it with the alarm pad or by putting the key in the door? if u did it the second way, i guess u alarmed ur car by the switch. use the keypad. g/l, hope this helps
I dont have a keypad for it, nor do I know where the actual box is hidden to get the model off of it to get a remote. The previous owner didn't even mention to me that the car had a viper system. He didn't even tell me it had an alarm system.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CRX Si69
well to shut it off and hopefully dis-arm it you can pop the hood and disconnect the negative battery cable. Like you said call viper and see if they can get you a new remote or something.
Wont it re-arm when I re-connect the battery cable?
Old 11-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

open the door and hit the switch again
Old 11-10-2010, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by komat
open the door and hit the switch again
just open the door and flip the switch or hold it?
Old 11-10-2010, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If it was installed like most shops install them, it won't be hard to find the brain. Unplug the biggest connector from it and the alarm should die. Then, start disconnecting the wires. The only one that should matter will be the starter interupt. The two wires for it will come off your start signal, usually off the steering column. Alarms aren't that technical. BTW, you do the above at your own risk. Typically, most shops I've encountered will just T-tap everything. It's sad that they don't do a better job. I pity the poor sap that gets my car later on and no remote. They will dig for days to find anything. lol

Good luck. BTW, most likely Viper will refer you to a local shop. There won't be much they can do over the phone. Each shop has their own way of doing installs. Some just slap in an alarm. Quantity over quality, as long as it works. Some shops will install it as a true theft deterrent, and for your sake, I hope that's NOT what you got. As I stated earlier, take my advice at your own risk. Best of luck.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotFastEnuff
If it was installed like most shops install them, it won't be hard to find the brain. Unplug the biggest connector from it and the alarm should die. Then, start disconnecting the wires. The only one that should matter will be the starter interupt. The two wires for it will come off your start signal, usually off the steering column. Alarms aren't that technical. BTW, you do the above at your own risk. Typically, most shops I've encountered will just T-tap everything. It's sad that they don't do a better job. I pity the poor sap that gets my car later on and no remote. They will dig for days to find anything. lol

Good luck. BTW, most likely Viper will refer you to a local shop. There won't be much they can do over the phone. Each shop has their own way of doing installs. Some just slap in an alarm. Quantity over quality, as long as it works. Some shops will install it as a true theft deterrent, and for your sake, I hope that's NOT what you got. As I stated earlier, take my advice at your own risk. Best of luck.
Thank you for the advice. I really want to get it disabled long enough for me to find the brain so I can order a remote for it. I would love for it to work properly. I think I can get into valet mode if noting else. I hope for my sake its not hidden how I think its hidden. I hope its easy to find is what I'm getting at.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

These should be happy news for you, bro. Good find! If you were lucky enough, these alarms go for $700 on DEI :D
The switch you found is a wallet switch. Should be possible to activate the wallet mode by turning the key to On position, holding the switch and turning the key back off.
You can find all the info on alarm forums.
Better figure what type of Viper alarm it is and buy a remote control for it. Mine is a two way, catches in a mile range. Very nice thing to have.
The other option is to disconnect the power wire off of it or you'll figure it out once you find the main box.
Look under the hood to locate the speaker, shouldn't be hard to find.
Good luck!
Old 11-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by koss1229
These should be happy news for you, bro. Good find! If you were lucky enough, these alarms go for $700 on DEI :D
The switch you found is a wallet switch. Should be possible to activate the wallet mode by turning the key to On position, holding the switch and turning the key back off.
You can find all the info on alarm forums.
Better figure what type of Viper alarm it is and buy a remote control for it. Mine is a two way, catches in a mile range. Very nice thing to have.
The other option is to disconnect the power wire off of it or you'll figure it out once you find the main box.
Look under the hood to locate the speaker, shouldn't be hard to find.
Good luck!
So is it possible to arm/de-arm the system via that switch? I know I armed it with the switch, but I didn't know how to disarm it until now. I guess valet mode is considered to be dis-armed then? And providing the box is locateable I will attempt to get a remote for it. If its a mess i'm just going to take it out. I will sleep great tonight knowing its armed. It is very loud I know that much. Thanks for the info by the way. It all helps. I guess now that I know how to dis-arm it how can I arm it via the switch?
Old 11-10-2010, 05:30 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Btw, it's not a "wallet switch", it's a "valet switch".

If you can't figure it out on your own, a good local car audio shop should be able to help out. (Watch out for Car Toys and Best buys, I know sometimes those places like to create wiring nightmares and I'd be concerned they might screw up your issues even more.) Check the regional sections for advice on a good audio shop.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NOFX
Btw, it's not a "wallet switch", it's a "valet switch".
Yeah, I figured I spelled it all wrong, but hey, I'm not American, I'm learning
I would make some research on how to arm disarm it with the valet switch, but i have to leave right now.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:38 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by koss1229
Yeah, I figured I spelled it all wrong, but hey, I'm not American, I'm learning
I would make some research on how to arm disarm it with the valet switch, but i have to leave right now.
Gave me a giggle, but I had to say something. Googling for a car alarm wallet switch could bring some interesting results.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If youre alarm goess off, and you unnplug youre car battery and it turns of then its a shittie alarm since there is no back up batteries to keep protecting youre car. I wuldnt even call that an alarm. Just a thing to open and lock ure doors for you.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by igorka_91
If youre alarm goess off, and you unnplug youre car battery and it turns of then its a shittie alarm since there is no back up batteries to keep protecting youre car. I wuldnt even call that an alarm. Just a thing to open and lock ure doors for you.
Even if it makes loud noises for 30 seconds thats better than no alarm from the factory. Hell 3 seconds of loud car alarm noises is enough to get me sprinting out of bed and outside. Its just a bit more piece of mind knowing that at night it will go off for how ever long it takes a theif to disable it. For me 3 seconds is long enough. I'd be suprised if there is a thief that can go in blind and disable an alarm in under 3 seconds. Lets be realistic for a minute. If someone is trying to steal a car and a loud *** alarm goes off they will probably start running if they are in any kind of populated area. Just my point of view. Take it for what its worth.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1998GsRIntegra
Even if it makes loud noises for 30 seconds thats better than no alarm from the factory. Hell 3 seconds of loud car alarm noises is enough to get me sprinting out of bed and outside. Its just a bit more piece of mind knowing that at night it will go off for how ever long it takes a theif to disable it. For me 3 seconds is long enough. I'd be suprised if there is a thief that can go in blind and disable an alarm in under 3 seconds. Lets be realistic for a minute. If someone is trying to steal a car and a loud *** alarm goes off they will probably start running if they are in any kind of populated area. Just my point of view. Take it for what its worth.
uuuhhhh lol.....i will bet that youre hood latch cable isnt relocated and you do not have a hood switch for the alarm when the hood is opened the alarm goes of. Pop the hood, unplug youre negative terminal and you will not hear a thing since youre alarm runs of the main battery with no back up batteries. You can be realistic all you want butt a alarm that is ran of the main battery can be dissarmed in a mattter of 10-20 seconds if not faster then 10sec. I know its ure point of view. Have you ever read this...help ure self....https://honda-tech.com/forums/audio-security-video-27/car-alarm-guide-how-pick-out-security-system-meet-your-needs-open-2518715/.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

put the key in and turn it to ON, then hold the button for 15secs
Old 11-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the switch you touched a toggle switch or a push button switch? If so turn the ignition on and flip the switch off and on once. This should turn the alarm off and you can now start the car. Or if its a push button, Press it once while the ignition is on. This will disarm the car and you can drive it. Only problem is the alarm is programed to auto arm. So it will allways arm. Now all you have to do now is once you get it disarmed is open the door with the ignition on and flip the switch again or press the button. The led light should go solid and now the alarm is now in valet mode and you won't have any issues. If you need help shoot me a pm. I am a dei ( viper) direct dealer.

Just to let you know. The valet button can be programmed to 1 thru 5 presses to disarm it. Security feature.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by igorka_91
uuuhhhh lol.....i will bet that youre hood latch cable isnt relocated and you do not have a hood switch for the alarm when the hood is opened the alarm goes of. Pop the hood, unplug youre negative terminal and you will not hear a thing since youre alarm runs of the main battery with no back up batteries. You can be realistic all you want butt a alarm that is ran of the main battery can be dissarmed in a mattter of 10-20 seconds if not faster then 10sec. I know its ure point of view. Have you ever read this...help ure self....https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2518715.
Hood cable is relocated. I did do that much.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

here is the real question of the day. if you have not located the Alarm brain, how do you know it's a viper alarm??
Old 11-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Cobb2819
here is the real question of the day. if you have not located the Alarm brain, how do you know it's a viper alarm??
Funny you mention this now. I just spent about an hour taking **** appart to get to the brain and it turn out that it has some random alpine unit as an alarm. Previous owner was completely wrong in saying it had a viper. So I just took the fuses out for it. Its wired into so many things that I dont want to begin to try to get rid of the thing. If I want to I'll get a remote and program it at some point, but for now I'll let my 5 kill switches handle things. Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the old alpine alarms were love them or hate them. what you did was probably the best thing to do.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Cobb2819
the old alpine alarms were love them or hate them. what you did was probably the best thing to do.
Yea I figure if I decide at some point I want to try to get a remote and program it the alarm will be there. Its tied into at least 20+ wires so I'm not about to try to take it out. It can live there if it wants to. Lol
Old 11-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1998GsRIntegra
Yea I figure if I decide at some point I want to try to get a remote and program it the alarm will be there. Its tied into at least 20+ wires so I'm not about to try to take it out. It can live there if it wants to. Lol
If its tied into them not soldered...you can diconect them. It wont harm anything...theyre just taped into the wire.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I discovered a viper alarm that I didn't know was installed. Now its a problem.