Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Can I rent a crankshaft pulley holder?

Old 11-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I rent a crankshaft pulley holder?

Does Autozone or any other store rent a crankshaft pulley holder for 4 cylinder Honda motors? I really don't want to pay $40 for a tool I'm going to use once, I would rather pay a small fee to rent the tool and bring it back. I'm hoping to do the the belts on my 01 Accord this weekend so I'm limited to buying or renting from local stores.

Is there any reason not to buy the timing belt kit from NAPA with the belts, water pump, tensioner, and pulley? I've had good luck with other parts I've bought from NAPA lately, but these belts are not where I want to learn about bad parts the hard way.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:14 PM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Can I rent a crankshaft pulley holder?

Considering no one knows where you live, you're probably better off just calling them........

I know some places do still rent out and others don't.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by OldMrAccord
Does Autozone or any other store rent a crankshaft pulley holder for 4 cylinder Honda motors? I really don't want to pay $40 for a tool I'm going to use once, I would rather pay a small fee to rent the tool and bring it back. I'm hoping to do the the belts on my 01 Accord this weekend so I'm limited to buying or renting from local stores.

Is there any reason not to buy the timing belt kit from NAPA with the belts, water pump, tensioner, and pulley? I've had good luck with other parts I've bought from NAPA lately, but these belts are not where I want to learn about bad parts the hard way.
Belts are belts. And as far as the pulley holder, check out the specialized "loan-a-tool" part on autozone's site. Should help.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I didn't realize that Autozone's rentals varied by store, I'll check with my local shop. The website doesn't list it so I'm not hopeful. I've seen some DIY solutions that I might try, I'm a welder and I have metal fabrication tools so I can probably fab something up if necessary. It would be easier to just borrow the correct tool.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's called a Harmonic Balancer Pulley holder tool. Look it up by that name.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:58 PM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't realize that Autozone's rentals varied by store, I'll check with my local shop. The website doesn't list it so I'm not hopeful. I've seen some DIY solutions that I might try, I'm a welder and I have metal fabrication tools so I can probably fab something up if necessary. It would be easier to just borrow the correct tool.
Depends on location, the ones near me stopped loaning out tools after too many people were stealing them with fake/stolen credit cards (same with using their OBDII scanners in parking lot)
Old 11-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amazon has them for $24.99. Free ship too, but for order $25 and up. Worth every cent.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by The-Kid
Amazon has them for $24.99. Free ship too, but for order $25 and up. Worth every cent.
Yep. The only thing I don't like about the Amazon free ship for orders over $25, is that they hold it for a few days more than if you paid for the shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648.../dp/B0000TMLWQ
Old 11-10-2010, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stare dad
Belts are belts. And as far as the pulley holder, check out the specialized "loan-a-tool" part on autozone's site. Should help.
I disagree.

I know there's a CD5 Accord bone stock that has its timing belt break on them. It has a goodyear t-belt and there's no crack or chunks missing whatsoever and looks new and still breaks on them. I recommend Honda Geniune Belt if you want a longer lasting T-Belt.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you are in Austin, Tx I'll let you borrow mine.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:23 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I decided to just buy a crankshaft pulley tool. It cost about $45 from NAPA. I have four Hondas in my household at this moment alone and I'm sure I'll have more. It's just a good investment for me.

Autozone does not rent them though. When you go into Autozone there should be these big orange-red placemats on the counters. One will say Rent-A-Tool at the top. Most of the tools are shown on there, though the store probably has more in the back.

I've never seen a crankshaft pulley tool through Autozone. I've worked there for five years.

Definitely call around though. Your part store employees will have much better information about their inventory than random people on the internet.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:41 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Or you coulda just rented it from Autozone for free.

For those that don't know how it works, you pay for the tool upfront and when you take it back you get ALL your money back.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:11 PM
H-T White Ops

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
Or you coulda just rented it from Autozone for free.

For those that don't know how it works, you pay for the tool upfront and when you take it back you get ALL your money back.
I've never seen an Autozone that stocks a Honda crankshaft pulley tool. They tend to focus on parts and tools for domestics.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:34 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by NOFX
I've never seen an Autozone that stocks a Honda crankshaft pulley tool. They tend to focus on parts and tools for domestics.
this...

It's called a Harmonic Balancer Pulley holder tool. Look it up by that name.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:12 PM
H-T White Ops

this...
I get that tools and parts often have several names.

I'm saying not all Autozones carry them anyway. Under any name.

I checked today while I was at work. At Autozone.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Ok, I just wanted you to atleast make sure you were asking under both names for the tools. I agree that perhaps not all are gonna have them. Just try checking around. You can try O'Reilly's.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:47 PM
H-T White Ops

So I actually went back to work to check up on this. I printed the entire planogram (the shelf layout for the loaner tools kept in stock) out for the Loan-A-Tool program (non-California version) to make sure I hadn't missed it when I physically looked at the shelf full of tools.

No, still no Honda tool listed there.

Then I went through the part numbers and looked up all the part numbers in the sequence that were missing from the planogram. I went beyond the highest number listed as a part number and eventually found it...

HONDA HARMONIC HOLDER
27176 Part type: Harmonic Balancer

Price: $35.99

Features & Benefits: OEM automotive specialty tools are designed to perform day after day in any environment. Out engineers design tools that maximize both performance and budget. OEM tools out-perform the competition time after time.

* Holds crankshaft damper when tightening/loosening crankshaft bolt on Honda and Acura engines
* 50 mm hex design
* Chrome moly steel for toughness
* 1/2 In. drive square for breaker bar attachment

Part #: 27176
Color / Finish: Black
Crankshaft applications: 2" Pilot Truck CLutch Alignment Shaft for Honda and Acura
Drive Size: Multiple Drive Size Set
Etched/Stamped Size Identification: No
Material: Lightweight Fiberglass Reinforced Nylon Body

Here it is shown on their site.

The only problem is this tool is VDP (Vendor Direct Parts), which means it's order only. It's not stocked in the store. For my store that means two to four days until it arrives to our store through FedEx. I did check and it is still available for order (some VDP items, when you prompt the system to order the item, will come back with a "vendor out of stock" message). On the website "Store Pick Up" is greyed out for me too (you might want to be sure for your area though). Pricing may vary.

So, looks like it is available, but it's not a normally stocked item.

NAPA kept it in stock, but it wasn't a loaner, I just bought it.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info guys, especially NOFX for looking up that stuff.

I just can't see spending that much money on something I'll use once, so I made one for $1. I went to my local fastner supply shop and asked for a nut with a 50mm outside dimension, that was a dollar. The nut had sharp corners and my ballancer has rounded corners, a few minutes with an angle grinder fixed that. The rest of the parts came from my scrap pile, some 1 1/2" square tube and some 1/2" pipe.

I can post more details if people are interested.
Attached Images  
Old 11-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, you have the resources and skills.

I bought 2 8mm bolts from Lowes to use on rear brake drum cost me near $5. If Lowes sells that 50mm nut, it will much more than $1. It also needs to be welded if I want to make it myself. Local garage charge $60 to loose crankshaft pulley bolt. So make the tool myself most likely cost me more than $25(The amazon price for this tool).

I bought this tool from amazon and a 250 FtLb torque wrench even I already has 2 150 FtLb torque wrenches. I just use these tools once. Last month in dealer show room, I opened the CRZ hood, asked the salesman, "Does it has timing belt or chain?". The salesman confused, "Does it really matter?" "Well, it matters to me." replied.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:51 PM
H-T White Ops

I certainly won't be using mine only once.

I got it earlier this year and we've already used it twice on our own cars. I'll be using it again on the Prelude I just picked up too since I don't know when it's was last done.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:12 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disable the ignition and use the starter to break loose
Old 11-16-2010, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info guys, especially NOFX for looking up that stuff.

I just can't see spending that much money on something I'll use once, so I made one for $1. I went to my local fastner supply shop and asked for a nut with a 50mm outside dimension, that was a dollar. The nut had sharp corners and my ballancer has rounded corners, a few minutes with an angle grinder fixed that. The rest of the parts came from my scrap pile, some 1 1/2" square tube and some 1/2" pipe.

I can post more details if people are interested.
I can't remember the guy's username; but, there was a Honda mechanic who worked at a dealership, and made his own tool and posted the picture here before. He claimed it worked really well.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow! You guys got urs at a good price! I got mine for $250 off the Mac Tools truck! Nice skills w/ that mig thou!
Old 11-16-2010, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

$250 is too much. Buy from honda, list price, PULLEY HLDR ATT $94.67, HOLDER HANDLE $75.31, total $169.98

Similar to OP, the end of this site http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/cranktool/index.html talks about ways to make this tool yourself.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:51 PM
H-T White Ops

NAPA sells them for $45.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can I rent a crankshaft pulley holder?