Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

95 Accord Factory Alarm - Need to Disable

Old 10-05-2010, 05:28 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Accord Factory Alarm - Need to Disable

I have a 95 Honda Accord (I think it's an EX). It has a factory alarm.

I lost my key-fob a couple years ago and since then have been locking and unlocking the car using the KEY, which is totally fine with me. Well the other day my battery died. When I tried to jump it, the alarm went bananas. In the past, I have simply used my key to lock/unlock the door and the alarm would disarm, allowing me to drive the car. This time it didn't work. Sooo.....

After much troubleshooting, I disconnected the battery and the fuse for the alarm for 15 minutes. I then reconnected the fuse and the battery (fuse first) and that allowed me to unlock the door, open the door and start and drive the car. As long as I leave the car running, everything is fine. I just leave it running all day and lock it with a second key. Well obviously not a great long term solution sooo....

When I turn the car off, I hear a single beep within 30 sec to 1 minute, which indicates that the alarm is armed...that means back to square one...I open the door and the alarm goes bananas again.

My ultimate goal is to disable the alarm altogether LIKE IT WAS FOR 2 YEARS BEFORE MY STUPID BATTERY DIED!

Until I figure it out, I will be leaving the hood popped each night and going out early for work, disconnecting the battery and waiting the 15 minutes for the system to reset. Then I will be leaving my car running all day and locking it with a 2nd key so I can get to work and do my job (I do a lot of local travel for my job). UGH!

Does anyone know how to disable the alarm so I can just use the key to lock and unlock the car?

Thanks,
Ryno
Old 10-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 95 Accord Factory Alarm - Need to Disable

There should be a disarm/reset switch located under the dash. (The installer may have installed the switch somewhere different than the picture for the 1995 Accord security system.) Insert your key in the ignition, while pressing the disarm switch, turn the ignition to on. It should reset.

Here is an image of it and link to installation instructions:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/.../16659_01.html

Most aftermarket alarms are similar too, in that they have a reset button located somewhere under the dash.

To disable the alarm, you could try to pull the plug on the unit; based on the instructions, it should be under the driver's seat. If that doesn't work, you might have to uninstall the whole system. Or maybe someone else knows how to easily disable the alarm?
Attached Images  
Old 10-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is an image of the control unit for the 1997 Accord security system control unit, see if your control unit also has the same adjustments available. Switching the mode switch to manual may restore the security system to how it was before the battery died.
Attached Images  
Old 10-06-2010, 05:29 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks RB I will try those suggestions...where is the Control Unit on the unit? Is it inside the car or under the hood?
Ryno
Old 10-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rthomas23
Thanks RB I will try those suggestions...where is the Control Unit on the unit? Is it inside the car or under the hood?
Ryno
It is one control unit, inside the car. According to the instructions, installation of the control unit for the 95 Accord was under the driver's seat. (btw: the installation instructions are in the link in my first post.) For the 97 Accord, it was under the driver dash.

But, you may solve your problem quite easily if you find the reset switch under the dash as in the first picture and press that and then start the car. I would try that first.