Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Bizarre A/C Problem (2004 Accord 4 cyl)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:51 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Bizarre A/C Problem (2004 Accord 4 cyl)

I have a 2004 4 cylinder Accord with automatic temperature control. A month or so ago, I jumped in the car and hit the "Auto" button like I normally do to turn the A/C on. The display turned on which showed the temperature setting but nothing came out of the vents. Hmmm. Turned it on and off a few more times with no luck. The display indicated all of the manual controls that I was messing with (change fan speed, temperature up and down, A/C mode, vent selection, etc.), but nothing at all out of the vents. I could hear that the compressor was not coming on either. Oh well, I called my local Honda dealer to see if it was something that they could help me with over the phone. Nope, he said it sounds like the blower motor has died and I should bring it in. I was planning on doing that within the next few days but I was pretty busy so I hadn't yet. Well, each time I got in the car I would hit the "Auto" button just hoping something would happen.

Three or four days later I tried to turn it on again (for like the 50th time), and this time, bam!, it comes on just like normal. I thought my prayers had been answered. It worked fine for a month or so (it was turned on and off several times during this time period), but yesterday it did not come on again! As of this morning it is still not working.

Anybody ever heard of anything like that? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 09-13-2010, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Bizarre A/C Problem (2004 Accord 4 cyl)

hey there

well if the fan does not work at all it may be a power transistor. i can find a test for it and email it to you if you would like...a file hosting site is too much trouble imo. send me a private message with your email and ill send you the testing procedure.

maybe you can then post it? or if there is huge demand i may just post it.

in my experience its very rare to get a burnt fan on these models. you can also unplug it and give it 12v and ground (only 2 pins on its plug) and see if the fan runs, if it does, test the transistor (its a plug in a small black unit left of the fan)
Old 09-14-2010, 05:45 AM
Trial User

Crazy. The thing started working again yesterday afternoon. Weird.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:10 AM
Trial User

It has now stopped and then started working again since I first posted. Very odd.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok while faulty transistors are fairly common in this vehicle transistors are rarely intermittent problems. When the a/c doesn't work properly, open the hood and check these things
are both fans running?
is the compressor clutch turning?
Old 09-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, KWay, I have ran into several faulty transistors that have been intermittent. You are right, though. Normally they just stay dead.

Also, the compressor will not run for more than a second if the blower is not working on that year model.

My money is on a bad transistor. Just reach under the dash and smack the blower motor the next time it quits. If it comes back on, you have a bad fan motor. Otherwise, you need a transistor. Occasionaly you will see one with a burnt blower connector. That requires replacing the connector and possibly blower motor (if damaged from the heat).