Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

clicking noise when turning left and hitting the brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clicking noise when turning left and hitting the brakes

i have a 1990 honda accord lx... whenever i hit the brakes i get a clicking noise from the left side of my car... it clicks when i hit the brakes under normal pressure but not when i hit the brakes harder. it also seems louder when i turn left while hitting the brakes... any ideas? i was thinking axle but it only does it when i use the brakes. It was there before and after i had my front pads and rotors replaced last week.

I freed up the cable that allows coolant to the heater core so my heater adjustment works but when i was playing with the slider on the dash it seemed to all of the sudden get easier to move at the hot end and now barely moves the cable on the firewall... is there an easy way to pull apart the dash and check to make sure the sliding switch isn't broken and is still connected properly? it seems to move the cable a bit but not enough to get heat now... and the sliding switch is easier to move when i get to the hot end which makes me believe something broke while i was sliding it back and forth to try and free it up more :/

Thanks
Old 09-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: clicking noise when turning left and hitting the brakes

Left front clicking, it's hard not being able to hear it. Only on the left AND only when braking make me think there is something up in the brakes. Did they replace the hardware? Might pull the wheel and make sure the pads are "tight" within the bracket. Real easy to lift/rotate the bracket up (at least on 86-89 and the 95).

Good to know you got the procedure on the cable adjustment, hope it helped. I can send the other doc's if you don't have a manual already. Before I do, have you rechecked the adjustments to be sure you are getting "full travel" from the slider to the "blend door"?
Old 09-07-2010, 09:40 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: clicking noise when turning left and hitting the brakes

If it's close to a grinding noise, there's a chance that the shims came off and are riding the rotor at times. I've had this happen before.