Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Idle goes low after i start my car.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle goes low after i start my car.

when i turn on my car, it idles to around 500 rpm.if i giv it alittle throttle it will go below 500 for like about 2 secs and back to 500 rpm....it also happens when i reverse my car, it is a 5 speed gearbox, when i stop to put into first gear it does the same thing for 2 secs, sounds like she wants to turn off but doesnt for those 2 secs....i also noticed this happens only at the start, after a while when it has reached its normal temperature it stops. i keep thinking wut it might be....i have ngk new spark plugs bosch spark plug wires. new battery, new fuses.new fuel pump and filter .....plz help me out to figure this problem my fellow honda friends!
Old 08-15-2010, 02:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Idle goes low after i start my car.

plz help!!!
Old 08-15-2010, 09:21 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It would help to know what kind of car you're referring to. Did it just start doing this? What has changed lately, what exactly have you replaced? Assuming the car is cold when you're talking about starting it, the FITV should be raising the cold start idle to around 1500 rpms until the car starts warming up.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well i have no clue if it has any difference on your idle. but why do you have bosch spark plug wires? NGK for plugs and wires. this is not a domestic dude.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
It would help to know what kind of car you're referring to. Did it just start doing this? What has changed lately, what exactly have you replaced?
Good questions. Answer these and we can go from there.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:42 AM
Trial User

Icon4 Re: Idle goes low after i start my car.

Could it be the firing order of those spark plugs ?? Could happen
Old 08-16-2010, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

she is a 95 honda accord lx f22b2 non vtec, it just started doing this 3 days ago...i hav added mods like headers intake exhaust filter fuel pump but it wuz working well evn after those mods....i have inspected the spark plugs and 2 of them were missing the gaskets that go on the plug(the aluminum gasket), and 1 other one had the gasket stuck in the middle of the plug thread(by how i saw it it wuznt completely down in the chamber)...i have changed them to the new ngk i had in the other vtec to the non vtec since they use the same.... i will start her up today and see if it has gone away....
Old 08-16-2010, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tamadrummer1120
well i have no clue if it has any difference on your idle. but why do you have bosch spark plug wires? NGK for plugs and wires. this is not a domestic dude.
lol Buddy i kno wut u mean, i bought the car last year in november with those wires, i will change them to ngk soon, but they will do for now....the previous owner wuz dumb very! haha, the good news is the car is with one of the best owners she could ever have. thnx man!
Old 08-16-2010, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

See if those plugs change anything.

If it doesn't completely solve your idle problem, next thing to do is check idle sensors like IACV, TPS, and FITV.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i've got the same problem on my '01 accord ex v6 (j30a). when i turn it on, it starts good but then the rpms drop. i've tried using an engine-cleaner that you pour in the gas tank and fueling w/93-high octane.

on top of that, when i start driving it wont shift into 2nd gear and the rpm jumps, a jerky transmisison. the shop looked at it and gave me an engine code from a previous diagnostic check in the transmission (p1298).

they said it could possibly be the ecu. they mentioned somethin about the car is set to run on only 5 volts. but use of the a/c, plus lights and then hitting the brakes could cause a momentary increase in voltage. i dunno. im going to honda for a diagnosis check tomorrow... major
Old 08-16-2010, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have had about the same problem with my eg. but my rpms at idles is just below 500. talked to alot of mechanics about it. almost all of them from Honda said that it suppose to run that low.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EMTof DEATH
talked to alot of mechanics about it. almost all of them from Honda said that it suppose to run that low.
they said the same thing when i had the problem w/my old '94 accord
Old 08-16-2010, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i started her up today after the spark plug change but still, the idle drops below 500rpm sounds like it wants to turn off, and stays steady on 500rpm, i should check the idle sensor soon.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have had about the same problem with my eg. but my rpms at idles is just below 500. talked to alot of mechanics about it. almost all of them from Honda said that it suppose to run that low.
im not sure if they r right cuz before my car would idle at 700rpm and i think the manual says thats the correct rpm idle, i hope i figure out the problem, im trying to think wut it is.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bwill9886
See if those plugs change anything.

If it doesn't completely solve your idle problem, next thing to do is check idle sensors like IACV, TPS, and FITV.
where r the tps and fitv located?? thnx!
Old 08-17-2010, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've never seen a Honda consistently idle anywhere below 800 rpms from the factory.

Originally Posted by joe_accord23
where r the tps and fitv located?? thnx!
TPS is on the throttle body. You'll find it typically on the left side and you can find pictures of what it looks like if you search "Honda TPS" in google images.

IACV is below/behind the intake manifold. Again, search for pictures.

FITV is below the throttle body. Good luck!
Old 08-17-2010, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

adjust the idle screw
Old 08-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ilikehonda
adjust the idle screw
If it has not been adjusted before, don't mess with it. You'll likely end up causing more problems.

However, if you know that it has been messed with, you might want to follow ilikehonda's advice. You can find the correct method for adjusting it by searching.

I would say check all your idle-related sensors first if changing the idle screw setting does nothing OR is set to the stock setting (aka not messed with).
Old 08-17-2010, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok thnx guys i will give it a shot...how can i tell if the idle screw has been messed with?....i am also going to clean IACV maybe that could change. it definitely sounds like an idle problem so i will check for the issue
Old 08-17-2010, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok thnx guys i will give it a shot...how can i tell if the idle screw has been messed with?
Sometimes it is hard to tell, but if the TB has been maintenanced/replaced that you know of the idle screw might be off.

As I said before, if all the sensors check out fine, then definitely follow ilikehonda's suggestion. Just don't start turning it left and right however you feel like.

Use this guide to help you troubleshoot everything, as well as the quick tutorial on how to adjust the idle screw in the second paragraph:

http://www.hondaaccordforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=14691
Old 08-17-2010, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

o my gosh!!! help immediately!!! i just cleaned my IACV and egr ports and my car doesnt start after everything is put together...i triple checked everything and its all ok, i took my time..plz help me!!!
Old 08-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

o my gosh!!! help immediately!!! i just cleaned my IACV and egr ports and my car doesnt start after everything is put together...i triple checked everything and its all ok, i took my time..plz help me!!!
More specifics are required.

Does it crank? Does it do ANYTHING when you turn the key?

Anything you can provide would help us, help you. But right now all anyone can do is throw out random suggestions.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i got her to start woooo!!!, im a genius lol....well i forgot to mention i cleaned out the throttle body as well, so therefore she wuldnt start becuz of the fluid goes into the intake manifold and i used a technique called clear flood mode...after clearing the fluid she started....and more good news, i dont have that idle problem anymore after cleaning the IACV, wow wut a difference!!, egr ports were cleaned as well, makes a big change...top performance, thnx to all for assisstance.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad you got it resolved.

Cleaning those EGR ports out will help you down the road too, if you weren't already showing symptoms from them being clogged already.

So sounds like you are good to go for a while hopefully!
Old 08-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

they were getting to the point of being clogged, alot of gunk in those holes...i recommend this for everyone...clean ur throttle body, IACV, and EGR ports, they make a difference..i had a friend who had a idle problem with the IACV, i told him to clean it out, and he said no i am going to buy another one...he didnt listen and after inspecting the old IACV, it just needed to be cleaned out...so before u guys buy a new one, clean the old one out first and see how it goes. he ended up spending 100 some on this new part, i kept the old IACV, cleaned it, and sold it to another buddy of mine, and no problems wutsoever!