Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Extension stuck in spark plug hole.. HELP!

Old 07-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extension stuck in spark plug hole.. HELP!

Hey guys I did something really ****ing stupid. I was doing a compression test on my 92 DA.. I put the 14mm extension on the compression tester hose but didn't tighten it with a wrench. So, after testing the second cylinder I unscrewed the hose to see that the extension came off and was still in the spark plug hole. I tried everything I could think of to get it out.. I'm out of ideas besides taking the head off... WTF can I do?? I'm feeling really effin stupid right now. Please help me out.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Extension stuck in spark plug hole.. HELP!

is the extension not made that a socket will go over it?
Old 07-29-2010, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a long set of needlenose pliers
Old 07-29-2010, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok don't get crazy about this... it happens to everyone at least once, it happens to me everytime I change spark plugs out... what you do is take the spark plug back out assuming your using a spark plug socket spit inside it which will make it slippery, put the spark plug in far enough inside the socket so that it can be tightened but can easily be pull off once you get it in the hole tighten it with your hands till you feel you can tighten anymore, make sure you don't push down on the extension cuz then you have to redo everything, then lightly put on the ratchet and tighten it a bit more just to be snug in there, then take off the ratchet and shake the extension left and right slowly and try to ease the socket out then there you go, it should be then I did the same thing the first time I did it and almost cried lol
Old 07-29-2010, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

btw tell me how it went after
Old 07-29-2010, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

chopsticks
Old 07-30-2010, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The extension is too big to fit a socket in and around it when it is in the spark plug hole. It's bigger than 5/8. I don't have a socket that is thin enough around the edges to fit in there. Thanks for the advice ls-vtecteggy, I may try that. Also I have thought about using a bolt extractor but I don't want to risk getting metal shavings in my cylinder and I know it would ruin the extension. What do you guys think about using an extractor?
Old 07-30-2010, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i dunno bout that but a strong magnet might work also. obviously it would stick to the engine too, but it might work.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah but I need something that will allow me to unscrew the extension from the spark plug hole and I'm not sure I could do that with a magnet. I'm gonna try the loctite tonight, I'll let you guys know what happens... Thanks for all the input.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just to follow up.. I used threadlocker, put some on the hose, screwed it in. Let it set for about 15-20 minutes and then unscrewed it. Everything came out, I was very happy. Threadlocker works great!
Old 10-17-2010, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ i am in the same exact position only my extension is harder. I am doing the thread locker now
Old 10-17-2010, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow that extension was a pain in the ***!!!!! THE THREAD LOCKER WILL WORK! you need to apply a large amount of the gel to a spark plug then hand tighten the spark plug into the extension. LET IT SIT FOR AT LEAST 30 mins. It took two tries for me to get it to work but it does work!
Old 10-17-2010, 07:36 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by LS_VTECteggy
ok don't get crazy about this... it happens to everyone at least once, it happens to me everytime I change spark plugs out... what you do is take the spark plug back out assuming your using a spark plug socket spit inside it which will make it slippery, put the spark plug in far enough inside the socket so that it can be tightened but can easily be pull off once you get it in the hole tighten it with your hands till you feel you can tighten anymore, make sure you don't push down on the extension cuz then you have to redo everything, then lightly put on the ratchet and tighten it a bit more just to be snug in there, then take off the ratchet and shake the extension left and right slowly and try to ease the socket out then there you go, it should be then I did the same thing the first time I did it and almost cried lol
Lol did you even read the kids post??
Old 08-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so I k now this thread is relatively old but unfortunately this happened to me too 2 weekends ago and I used an 18 mm socket to take it out... piece of cake! i stressed about it n bought jb weld n even took the valve cover off ... but then i realized a socket could fit over the extension and after experimenting, pulled it out with an 18mm on an extension. the gauge brand was OEM, i rented it from Autozone.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by triskpin
Just to follow up.. I used threadlocker, put some on the hose, screwed it in. Let it set for about 15-20 minutes and then unscrewed it. Everything came out, I was very happy. Threadlocker works great!
i did this same thing when i went to buy my car and i used a little bit of superglue on the compression tube and it came right out.. both me and the kid i was buying it off of were laughing cause he did the same thing before.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea..... i would go with long needle nose......i use them when the spark plug socket gets stuck on the plug.......ussaully works for me.....i good tool to have when workin on hondas n ACz.......lot of little places for things to fall
Old 08-13-2014, 05:35 AM
Trial User

Default Compression Tester Extension Stuck In Spark Plug Hole

Just in case someone is going through this problem and comes across this thread, gorilla glue worked for me. At first I tried getting a deep socket in there but it wouldn't fit. Nor would needlenose pliers. A little internet research resulted in people having success with glues and thread locker compounds. So I found some gorilla glue in the garage and applied it to the spark plug threads, then screwed it into the stuck extension. After waiting an hour, I got the wratchet in there and it came right out. The glue stayed on the plug so no worries about returning the tool with glue all in it