Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Car starts up then dies.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car starts up then dies.

Okay guys I have yet another problem with my car. Recently (about last week) I started my car and it died instantly but it only happen once until today. I started up the car this morning and it died instantly but once I started again everything worked fine. This afternoon I started the car again, yet it died but this time it died twice before running normal. Its a 95 EX W/75k miles. I do regular injector cleaners, changed out spark plugs 6k ago, regular oil changes. I believe it is gonna happen more often in the near future. The weird thing is that it starts up normally, but then dies instantly. It doesn't idle low or anything. When it starts up, there seems to be nothing wrong with it. I've searched and read about it, but I'm stumped . Somebody help me out please? Thanks

EDIT: Checked Battery/Alternator, not the problem apparently.

Modified by citizen21 at 6:15 PM 10/17/2008
Old 10-17-2008, 07:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Car starts up then dies. (citizen21)

Like...... it dies as soon as you let the key turn back from the crank position?
That might indicate burnt ignition switch contacts.
You can drop off the steering column shroud, and look at the solder connections on the back of the switch to see if any are melted or look over heated/frosty.
Often times you can let the key back very slowly to keep the contacts working.

Yet I have no doubt a mental midget moron yummy my my will jump in here and tell you to change your T-stat because once upon a time it fixed a problem for him.
No disrespect to you [ OP] but I'm just tired of that little f a g got following my posts trying to start a fight.
The following users liked this post:
Old 10-17-2008, 08:57 PM

Default Re: Car starts up then dies. (hondadude)

No it dies before I return to the key back to the standby position. The car fully turns on then .5 second later, turns off. But its weird because It doesn't happen often so I can't show anybody the problem =/
Old 10-17-2008, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It could me a main relay issue. Try to push the gas pedal in half way when you crank up the car, the expected result is a quick jump in RPM's but the car should stay on without issue. Did you check the starter?
Old 10-18-2008, 12:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Conflicted)

Its strange that when you try something and the car works fine, did you do something right or is today just a day when the engine is going to stay running anyways and you are stummped so try this, do a couple of key cycles on and off, on and off to purge the fuel system, if the car starts and runs then you have a fuel pressure problem and it will need to be scoped before committing to a new fuel pump and filter.

This key cycle test may take several days and I may even try three cycles just to be safe, in a week and the issue stays gone, you may have a weak pump???

Does it do this after sitting for say 10 minutes to 1 hour or will it start all day long once it is warmed up.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:37 AM

Default Re: (Duane_in_Japan)

Thanks for all the opinion guys, I really appreciate it.

I started up the car warm/cold it does the same ****. I started up the car 10 times and it hasn't done it yet. Its very weird, it happens randomly. I'm also thinking its the fuel system but I'm not gonna replace anything until this happens enough for get more detail.

Again I really appreciate all the help. HT ftw.

Edit: I will check the starter tommorow, tried the petal half way. Doesn't seem to be the problem.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (citizen21)

im with Duane . try the key cycle test , but im thinking more towards the ignition switch when the ignition switch is starting the fail the key does not have to be all the way in the returned position to fail their has been countless times when i have just let the key come back just after the engine has started so the next time it does it try to see at what key position it shuts off most likely it is just after the start position. ignition harness time.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:19 PM

Default Re: (dtapia)

So it happend again today, I guess its going to be more frequent from now on. So I turn the key ignition all the way the III (3), but before I let the key return on its own back to II, the car shuts down already in the III position.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe these things had a TSB issued for this condition.
The electrical portion of the ignition switch goes funky over time. requires replacing.

P
Old 10-18-2008, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ooo, me bad. It was actually a recall for intermittant stalling (but it would also account for your problem.
Here it is:

Recall Date:
MAY 16, 2002

Model Affected:
1997 HONDA ACCORD

Summary:
ON CERTAIN SEDANS, COUPES, HATCHBACKS, AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, ELECTRICAL CONTACTS IN THE IGNITION SWITCH CAN DEGRADE DUE TO THE HIGH ELECTRICAL CURRENT PASSING THROUGH THE SWITCH WHEN THE VEHICLE IS STARTED.

Consequence:
WORN CONTACTS COULD CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STALL WITHOUT WARNING, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE IGNITION SWITCH. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN JUNE 14, 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009 OR ACURA AT 1-800-382-2238.

Potential Units Affected:

Notes:
AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.

I believe it was also issued for the earlier versions of this same generation..

P
Old 10-18-2008, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (citizen21)

Just to clear up any confusion, when the car died in Position III, the starter was still turning as long as you held it in position III??? When returned to position II, did the idiot lights stay on the instrument cluster???
Old 01-27-2010, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car starts up then dies.

Sorry, I have to bring this up from the dead. Did you fix the problem? P_Adams,with the recall you found, did that only apply to 1997 Accords?
Old 07-21-2010, 09:17 AM
Trial User

I had the same problem not 15 minutes ago on my 94 EX. I was wondering the same as ttcheung97 if you fixed the problem or if the recall is valid for all civics. Thanks everyone in advance.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have also been experiencing this problem on my 99 ex accord symptoms are identical any one have a solution or have fixed the problem
Old 07-21-2010, 04:06 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

http://techauto.awardspace.com/mainrelay.html
http://techauto.awardspace.com/ignitionswitch.html
http://techauto.awardspace.com/ignition.html
Old 07-22-2010, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought a new distributor in the end and it fixed my problems. As the EX models have the ignitors inside the distributors, I just replaced the whole deal.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My car did this for the first time today while actually driving it was raining at the time, im not sure if that is what caused the issue or not, and it still happens often when staring the car it just catches and stalls right away. When it happens all indicators on the dash turn of and the green key flashes as if the key was at position 1 and then after a few seconds all the lights come on and it is normal as if the key is at position 2 "ready to start", does this indicate more likly an ignition problem or distributor etc etc.

Last edited by boost and bass; 07-27-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also found this amazing thread hoping this could be the problem, the symtoms seem to be the same, and i found this video which is exactly what happens to me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWP-DcQJRbk
Old 09-28-2010, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hate to bring this forum back from the dead but my 95 integra ls vtec is doing the same as the video shows.. changed fuel filter and temp went away and now its back....but when it starts and i accelerate the car engine sounds weak and if i accelerate too much it shuts off.
Recent work:
Replaced LMA's
New fuel filter
o2 sensor
oi change
--------
i dont know if this has anything to do with it but my transmission was making a weird noise prior to this happening again.. but i think its the input shaft bearing since i replaced the release bearing.
---
ill try to post a video on when i accelerate
thanks guys!
Old 12-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry for another revival, but I have the same problem. The car starts up fine, but as soon as I drop the key to the II position, the car dies. I am guessing it's the ignition switch is shot. I know there is no way to prove here in this thread I am the owner, but can someone just give me some method of being able to keep the car on so I can drive it to a shop to get it fixed? I read somewhere that there is something I can do under the hood to keep the car idling. Something about running a wire from the battery '+' to the starter terminal, but not sure how that would keep the car on. Thanks.