Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

I have oil all over my spark plugs... WHAT IS WRONG????

Old 02-15-2003, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have oil all over my spark plugs... WHAT IS WRONG????

I was about to change my spark plug today when tragedy struck me once again. There is oil all over spark plug number 2 from the driver side of the car. There is so much oil that it drips from the spark plugs while i take it out. The entire plug is covered in oil. the top to the bottom. oil is also on the spark plug wires where it goes over the spark plug. What do you guys think is wrong? I have 85K miles, and i was thinking that my valves needs adjusting soon, because i have a sewing machine noise comming from my engine, which gets faster and louder the more i rev the engine.

What could cause such a problem? can i drive the car or should i park it ASAP? how can i fix such a problem and what do you think it will cost to fix?
Old 02-15-2003, 08:25 PM
99-0104

Default Re: I have oil all over my spark plugs... WHAT IS WRONG???? (profroopchan)

you need to change the spark plug tube gaskets .... they are under the valve cover and while your at it you might as well change the valve cover gasket and gromets ... that will solve your problem .. it actually is a common one and a easy fix ....
Old 02-15-2003, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I have oil all over my spark plugs... WHAT IS WRONG???? (Stripped Honda)

is it something that is very simple to change? i was wondering about all those "proper torque specifications" that i always hear about pulling things off the engine. i am kinda mechanically inclined, but i have never opened my engine. is it really a simple fix?
Old 02-15-2003, 08:58 PM

Default Re: I have oil all over my spark plugs... WHAT IS WRONG???? (profroopchan)

Oil on a spark plug usally means a bad valve seal or guide right ?
Atleast that what I always thought

Old 02-16-2003, 09:41 AM

Replacing the gaskets on the Cylinder Head Cover is not difficult. You need to replace the plugs, wires, and the following gaskets...
4 each #3 Head Cover Gasket B
1 each #4 Head Cover Gasket

Remove the head cover (two nuts) and clean the head cover and apply permagasket to the cover and attach the gaskets and let it set up to hold the gaskets in place when returning the cover and new gaskets to the cylinder head.
Parts including the permagasket is well under $50. Look here for prices and illustrations.

Old 02-16-2003, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: I have oil all over my spark plugs... WHAT IS WRONG???? (big b 911)

Oil on a spark plug usally means a bad valve seal or guide right ?
Atleast that what I always thought
I think he's talking about oil on the plug ABOVE the threads. Because he says the plug wires are oily too.

Profroopchan, you need to take off the valve cover, which has a gasket all around its outer edge, and also a little rubber donut gasket for each spark plug hole. Get new gasket, the round spark plug seals probably don't come with the outer gasket. You may as well get new all around.

The bolts don't have strange torque requirements, you're thinking about the head bolts. All you gotta worry about is cleaning around there so you don't drop any dirt in while the cover's off.

Check out a repair manual for adjusting the valves. I'm not gonna screw you up by giving half-@$$ed instructions here. Besides, you have to know the proper clearances for your car. If you take it to a shop for this, just give them the new gasket or have them get it. They'll have to take off the same cover to adjust the valves.

[Modified by JimBlake, 1:51 PM 2/16/2003]
Old 02-16-2003, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I have oil all over my spark plugs... WHAT IS WRONG???? (Slingshot)

i need 4 head cover gasket #3? why do i need four of them? or is it the other way around, that i need four of gasket #4 gasket and one of gasket #3?
and, is Head cover gasket #4 the spark plug gaskets?

Rain is falling like crazy today, so i don't think i will get a chance to fix it. is it ok to drive the car tomorrow? or should i park it?

[Modified by profroopchan, 8:26 PM 2/16/2003]
Old 02-16-2003, 12:02 PM
99-0104

Replacing the gaskets on the Cylinder Head Cover is not difficult. You need to replace the plugs, wires, and the following gaskets...

Remove the head cover (two nuts) and clean the head cover and apply permagasket to the cover and attach the gaskets and let it set up to hold the gaskets in place when returning the cover and new gaskets to the cylinder head.
Parts including the permagasket is well under $50. Look here for prices and illustrations.

i never use permagasket when installing a valve cover gasket there is no need for it and honda doesent recomend you do it either just put the gasket in place and be done with it .. i have done hunderds of these in the shop with no comebacks ...

and the reason you need 4 of them is because they are a round seal that goes on each spark plug tube and no you dont need to park it it wont hurt anything if you drive it for a few days ... and also you should be able to do it yourself all you need is a 10 mm socket and a ratchet .. good luck and my recomendation is to buy a quality part dont buy the cheapest one you can get ...
Old 02-16-2003, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i need 4 head cover gasket #3? why do i need four of them? or is it the other way around, that i need four of gasket #4 gasket and one of gasket #3?
and, is Head cover gasket #4 the spark plug gaskets?

Rain is falling like crazy today, so i don't think i will get a chance to fix it. is it ok to drive the car tomorrow? or should i park it?
Looks to me like you need one #3 gasket & 4 of the little #4 round sparkplug seals. Plus if you want to replace the little washer/grommets (#9) that seal each bolt hole.

Drive it tomorrow? Only YOU know just how bad the leak really is. You've been driving it like this till now, right?

[Modified by JimBlake, 6:07 PM 2/16/2003]
Old 02-16-2003, 03:01 PM

sorry ... I was limited to 5 posts in 24 hours and couldn't respond. Yes ... I should have said 4 each #4's and 1 each #3. I tried not using permagasket, but the gasket was out of shape and would not remain on the cover when I flipped it over to place on the cylinder head ... Also, the small pools of oil in the plug wells isn't going to hurt anything, but I wouldn't prolong the fix too long.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK, i want to know what parts i should buy at honda when i go in. I want to know what exactly to ask for. I want to reaplce all the washers and gaskets that i can replace while i am in there.

Is there any way i can check if my valves are correct while i am in there? I think i can hear my valves when i rev my engine. most people say that occurs on all accords though, but i just want to check them out.
Old 02-16-2003, 06:10 PM

You can buy a set with all the gaskets/grommets you need, if im not mistaking, it's called a valve cover gasket set. It'll have the valve cover gasket, spark plug tube seals and the grommets. Im not sure how much it is at the dealer, but AutoZone has em for like $40. I did this exact repair on my 89 Civic sedan(no prior experience either) and it was a breeze. Only problem was this wasn't the cause of my problem, it was worn valve guide seals As soon as I found that out, I sold the car. The fact that I had about 5g's worth of accessories stolen out/off of it a month or so beforehand had a little something to do with it too
Old 02-16-2003, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I have oil all over my spark plugs... WHAT IS WRONG???? (94uhkord)

how can i figure out if i have worn valve guide seals?
Old 02-17-2003, 05:19 AM

I bought a 90 honda accord LX last month and I had the same problem, I took it to the shop and they replaced the valve cover gasket. The gasket was around 50 bucks and the labor was like 20 bucks. I changed the plugs and wires myself after this was done and still had some oil on the old spark plugs. I took some shop towels and got all of the oil out and I havent had any oil in there since.

Old 02-17-2003, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how can i figure out if i have worn valve guide seals?
Worn valve guide seals leak from the camshaft area to the port. Your plugs get fouled INSIDE the combustion chamber. That's just the business end of the plug, BELOW the threads. You'll burn some oil & maybe see/smell that in the exhaust.

Leaking sparkplug tube seals just lets oil leak onto the OUTSIDE part of the spark plug. On the rubber boot of the plug wire, and the steel wrench-hex of the spark plug. ABOVE the threads. You might just get some oil dripping down as you remove the plug.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:24 PM

Default Re: I have oil all over my spark plugs... WHAT IS WRONG???? (rodpod)

WTF??? You paid $50 for a valve cover gasket? And $20 labor?? Damn dude, if you have money to give away, you can send some my way. The valve cover gasket is very easy to do, it just takes a little time. I never done anything to my car except put oil and tranny fluid in it, some water every now and then, and I did my own valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals. I just had a Haynes manual w/me as a guide, it was a piece of cake. Give it a shot man, you'll feel like a mechanic once you're done
Old 02-18-2003, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I have oil all over my spark plugs... WHAT IS WRONG???? (94uhkord)

yeah, i am going to do it as soon as this weather clears up. i am kinda mechanically inlinced. i have always liked fixing things.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:27 AM

OK, i want to know what parts i should buy at honda when i go in. I want to know what exactly to ask for. I want to reaplce all the washers and gaskets that i can replace while i am in there.
Check out this website. They have a pretty impressive set up for ordering parts.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/